Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard great things about the SynTorq you guys sell Erik. Had my 6 not crapped out on me, I would have ordered a case of it along with that HFC I purchased a while back.

It is still holding up strong BTW. Power loss was minimal, the car is 100% legal on the roads for emissions now, and it even helped tone down the exhaust a bit so its not a red flag for the police (I wanted it a little quieter).
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumping...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Well my transmission has started the death whine. Talked with Trevor about options including the 6spd. I'm probably going the 5spd route.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

whining? sounds like a transfer case there man.

Let me know the final cost of your complete swap to your 5 speed
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MagicManRed
whining? sounds like a transfer case there man.

Let me know the final cost of your complete swap to your 5 speed
The "whine" only happens just as you release the clutch not while your driving. Already had my EVO mechanic confirm since he's done a ton of them. He's positive.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
The "whine" only happens just as you release the clutch not while your driving. Already had my EVO mechanic confirm since he's done a ton of them. He's positive.
Yeah, its the dreaded input shaft whine. That is another issue 6 speeds are prone to, and it is how mine eventually bit the bullet. As opposed to just the gear replacements this is another issue that should be addressed with the new 6.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Yeah, its the dreaded input shaft whine. That is another issue 6 speeds are prone to, and it is how mine eventually bit the bullet. As opposed to just the gear replacements this is another issue that should be addressed with the new 6.
Well my transmission has started the death whine. Talked with Trevor about options including the 6spd. I'm probably going the 5spd route.
I don't know what "Input shaft whine" you're talking about,
but if you are worried about a whine sound as your clutch is engaging, that would be your clutch biting the flywheel (possible exedy?) unless of course you are aware of this sound and you are talking about something else. That something else of which John Shepherd or I have never heard of, nor have ever seen an input shaft go bad on a 6 speed. Shep mentioned that the 5 speed had a whine issue when in 1st gear.

Which EVO mechanic did you take your car for inspection to? and what kind of inspection was done? Did they take down your transmission to inspect? was this under warranty? was it a Mitsubishi mechanic? Did you know the guy as a family friend to do this for you for free? (because we all know that dropping the 6 speed isn't exactly "light work")

Also, if you want every issue "addressed" on the 6 speed... but yet a lot of us seem to be upset with the potential "costs" of this built 6 speed... I'm not sure some of you realize what you are asking.

Either way, let me know what more you know about this "input shaft whine" that Shep has never heard about, and that I can't find any information about.

Also, please let me know what your final cost from beginning to end will be to convert your 6 speed to a built 5 speed. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it. I'm curious.

Bottom line is, the only things I've seen/heard go bad in these trans's (of course this is from people with normal abuse, and not un-experienced abuse, I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about!) are bad synchros, heat abuse to trans internals, and gears breaking. All of which get more than addressed with Shep's offerings/services. Now addressing particular problems that a small percentile seem to have for whatever reason (that I'd love to know more about, because this is new to me), sounds like something you may need to dig deeper in your pocket for.

Best of luck with all of this, and let me know what you find..

Last edited by MagicManRed; Aug 12, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

updates?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Well im out for sure. my 6spd case has a crack in it. goin to a 5spd while the car is down for a new motor
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

Shepherd is negotiating a mass production deal on the gear set and final drive.

The 3 month wait looks like it may turn into 1 month.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Will price be lower then? And will they be building them in house, or just selling the gear sets?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Not4Sale
Will price be lower then? And will they be building them in house, or just selling the gear sets?
The price I have been mentioning is the price it will be once he mass produces. Had he not, it would have been 5k + for one-off sets.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:42 PM

So any news?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump..interested in any new updates
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

PM MagicManRed. He supposedly was getting a set of the gears installed soon, but no one has heard anything from him since. Either PM him or call Shep directly for information.

Quick Reply: Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed