Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To everyone... deepest apologies... it's been over 2 weeks since I've logged in. Been busy trying to make $$ for what's to come.

Unfortunately I held off on the set of gears John Shepherd was going to send me because I decided to go all out and get it with the Final Drive upgrade (and since those weren't ready yet, I have to wait for the full order)

The last word I heard from John was 2 days ago, and it was this:

"Just got word the shafts are done, we are just waiting for the ring gears to be made."

To my understanding, there is an order of 20 sets of all being made/ordered.
There is also a list of over 60 on here... I don't know how many of you are dead serious about the purchase, but I do know that if all of you were, there would be a shortage

Maybe if his first set of 20 fly out his door fast enough, he could be persuaded to order another set

Hang in there guys! As it was said by someone else earlier in the thread... this is reality, it is in the making and literally being finished up as we speak.

Last edited by MagicManRed; Sep 29, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

spoke to john today, another estimated 4 weeks till things are ready to be shipped, but that wasn't a promise, so, fingers crossed.

and you're looking at $2,725 in just parts...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty much what Trevor told me when I was there on Friday.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by berns
spoke to john today, another estimated 4 weeks till things are ready to be shipped, but that wasn't a promise, so, fingers crossed.

wow thats pricey
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

is that with the FD? i'm guessing so given the earlier estimates.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by berns

Is that with or without the FD?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

That is, without a doubt... with the FD. A bit under $2,000 without.

It is not pricey at ALL considering what you are getting.
On top of that, you get what you pay for.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MagicManRed
That is, without a doubt... with the FD. A bit under $2,000 without.

It is not pricey at ALL considering what you are getting.
On top of that, you get what you pay for.
x2!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Trojan man
is that with the FD? i'm guessing so given the earlier estimates.
That is with the FD. $1800 for 3,4,5 and $925 for the FD.

I'm curious how much extra it will be to replace the 2nd gear synchro, I have a grind going into reverse too, but it can be avoided usually by going into 3rd gear first.

This will be pricey, and I just found a deal on a bushwacker 5 speed for $2,000. Plus $450 for the parts needed to swap over, so I'd only be saving around $300, and I don't think I'd enjoy it with only 400whp.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

To clarify... you are not getting just a 3rd 4th and 5th. Those are just only the gears that have a modified profile. You are getting a new 1st, 2nd and 6th made of stronger material.

That info is posted here.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

To clarify... you are not getting just a 3rd 4th and 5th. Those are just only the gears that have a modified profile. You are getting a new 1st, 2nd and 6th made of stronger material.

That info is posted here.
you sure? here's a quote from my email with John.. I'd love to know were getting a full reubild with new syncros, I doubt it's new gears, but if 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 were getting new syncros, sliders and springs, plus the new 3,4,5 I'd be happy.

"The 3,4,5 set will be $1800 and the final drive will be $925."
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

is that confirmed that 1,2,6 will be of a stronger material as well, or just a different gear profile? I'm sold either way. but if that is true, and we get 6 better gears rather than 3 same gears and 3 stronger gears then it's a much better selling point for sure.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

I don't see it as a better selling point and there's no way we're getting 6 brand new gears. I assume it's gears, 3,4,5 new profiles/material, and then the usual rebuild of replacing the sliders, syncros and springs for every other gear.

1st, 2nd and 6th gear are fine. If you grind, it's due to driving habit, gear oil and by now and screwed up syncro.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

CORRECTION!!!!! you guys were right. I was misinformed. You are just getting 6 new gears in 3rd 4th and 5th. Each gear has a drive gear and driven gear, totaling 6 gears. I misunderstood Shep the first time around. 1st 2nd and 6th remain untouched.

Here was our conversation so you can understand:

Me:
Hey, question:
The gear set, it is a set of 6 right? 1,2,6 are made with new material, and 3,4,5 as well, but with a different profile design?

Shep:
No, it is 3,4,5 which is 6 gears (drive and driven)

Me:
In your 5 speed upgrades, do u get 5 drive gears and 5 driven gears too?

Shep:
Actually the normal 5 spd upgrades do not get any new gears unless changing ratio.
I assume people are expecting all gears to be replaced for oem gear price and this is not going to happen.

Me:
When replacing ratios in the 5 speed is when u change the drive gear and driven correct?

Shep:
It really depends on which set. 4th and 5th yes both drive and driven are changed. On 3rd one is changed , there is not an alternate 2nd and for first the input shaft and 1st gear are changed.

Conclusion:
Even in a full built 5 speed, you are getting 6 gears in a nut shell (counting drive and driven gear upgrades)

Transmissions have never been my specialty, so I don't know this drive/driven gear thing. Sorry for any misinformation. I'm updating the original post in my other thread for this asap.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

CORRECTION!!!!! you guys were right. I was misinformed. You are just getting 6 new gears in 3rd 4th and 5th. Each gear has a drive gear and driven gear, totaling 6 gears. I misunderstood Shep the first time around. 1st 2nd and 6th remain untouched.
like i said. good to clarify though. i was cruising around last night and punched it in 6th gear and decided i can't live without my 6 speed. I will be holding out for this 100%.

Quick Reply: Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed