Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:49 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome job clarifying. thanks for staying on top of this magicman!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cool pic
Old Oct 9, 2010, 07:49 PM

So the 6 speeds' weak gears & sliders fail mostly from track use not so much from normal tear & wear street use? Or do they all fail prematurely anyways?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on power/torque and how you drive the car. Launching would be a good way of getting it to fail. Local guy went through 2 on stock levels. I'm at 38k miles with 400whp and still going. /shrug
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have Shep or TRE recommended a transmission oil cooler ? To me it seems odd that we don't have one. Also, it would be great if someone could post some data on transmission oil temps on street vs. track.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Have Shep or TRE recommended a transmission oil cooler ? To me it seems odd that we don't have one. Also, it would be great if someone could post some data on transmission oil temps on street vs. track.
+1. Great questions.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Material?

MagicManRed "For those that think you can get a 5 speed BUILT with gears for less than a grand, you are mistaken. Factory 5 speed gears retail for (on average) $140 each which were produced in the unknown THOUSANDS not 20 sets at a time out of better material."

Im curious what the new material is going to be and what mitsubishi originally used. Can you ask Shep? Im sure some if not many would like to know. It may help the selling point a bit if we have any experienced machinists or interested engineers who are contemplating this purchase.

If he cant divulge this due to some propietary info thing can he at least confim that it is better and possibly what the oem metal is and if its treated? At least some explaination on why his material is better. Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dolson222
MagicManRed "For those that think you can get a 5 speed BUILT with gears for less than a grand, you are mistaken. Factory 5 speed gears retail for (on average) $140 each which were produced in the unknown THOUSANDS not 20 sets at a time out of better material."

Im curious what the new material is going to be and what mitsubishi originally used. Can you ask Shep? Im sure some if not many would like to know. It may help the selling point a bit if we have any experienced machinists or interested engineers who are contemplating this purchase.

If he cant divulge this due to some propietary info thing can he at least confim that it is better and possibly what the oem metal is and if its treated? At least some explaination on why his material is better. Thanks
I doub't you'll find out exactly what the gears are made of, but would it make sense that the new gears are of inferior or even equal metal quality? not at all. with the reputation Shep has, there's really no need to know these details, especially with all the R&D going on. In the end, you know you'll be getting top quality parts and something much more capable than stock.

Just can't wait for the release already. Having trouble getting into 3rd now, added to my grinding 4th

Just hit 60k, lots of aggressive driving, autocrosses, stock clutch replaced with another stocker at 30k, and 400+whp.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

same here im really waiting for the release im hoping its not too much of a dent in the pocket, but its nothing like the extra added sense of saftey from shep trans
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by berns
I doub't you'll find out exactly what the gears are made of, but would it make sense that the new gears are of inferior or even equal metal quality? not at all. with the reputation Shep has, there's really no need to know these details, especially with all the R&D going on. In the end, you know you'll be getting top quality parts and something much more capable than stock.

Just can't wait for the release already. Having trouble getting into 3rd now, added to my grinding 4th

Just hit 60k, lots of aggressive driving, autocrosses, stock clutch replaced with another stocker at 30k, and 400+whp.
I understand that just curious what mitsubishi would have used and how they would have heat treated and if he would confirm his was different or better not just more material and better designed (which really might have been all it needed to be honest) Just an evo 6spd fan who was curious for any info that could be made available. I work for designing tools so I understand that he cant give out much just wanted to know what he could.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

TRE option?

Any new word on the TRE option/ possible pricing
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Shep will not recommend an oil cooler. He does not know what type of driving people will be doing. He did mention (and I added this in the shep 6 speed post) that he could weld bungs on the transmission for in/out use of oil lines that you can then run to your own choice of a cooler and that you can use your own choice of a pump. He mentioned what pump he likes. Not the cooler.

If you read the post, you will see what I mean.

By the way... hows that turbo manifold that I sent out to you that you flamed me on because you didn't want to pay for quick/insured shipping??? working out well???

Originally Posted by GG06MR
+1. Great questions.
It was kind of already answered in the shep post.

Originally Posted by dolson222

I couldn't say it better than berns really. And yes, he actually did confirm it was stronger material. I mentioned that in the shep 6 speed thread. They were words from a John Shep email himself. It is not just more material, it is a stronger material. Note however, that 1st, 2nd, and 6th are left un-touched. (all info in the first post of the shep 6 spd thread)

Something tells me that TRE is not going to bother with the 6 speed ever. Just a hunch.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ I would Agree TRE will not be getting into this....good business for 1 vender to get, but as soon as 2 or more get in it, the market share just wouldn’t be worth while. The unfortunate part for me is that I'm in Canada...so shipping my trans across the border and back again + parts and labor, it just doesn’t seem worth while...I can just get a 5spd and convert...although i would much rather have the 6spd...its cost prohibitive (for me) at the moment.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
^^ I would Agree TRE will not be getting into this....good business for 1 vender to get, but as soon as 2 or more get in it, the market share just wouldn’t be worth while. The unfortunate part for me is that I'm in Canada...so shipping my trans across the border and back again + parts and labor, it just doesn’t seem worth while...I can just get a 5spd and convert...although i would much rather have the 6spd...its cost prohibitive (for me) at the moment.
Hey man, just so you know, Shep said he has no problem shipping the gearset over to people in locations that are a hassle for shipping. Feel free to check my thread and drop mr a PM with the requested info to get it going. Worse that could happen is he say no?

Quick Reply: Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed