Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What to do with ACT clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 30,000 miles on my HDSS, never had one issue. ACT makes great clutches, I'm no expert but it would seem to be an install problem.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:06 PM

We looked it over at garagegt the other time, it seems like the clutch does not disengage all the way, we stuck in lil scope down into the tranny so it might be the bad pressure plate. Visually looking at the pressure plate, you cant see anything wrong with it but mechanically it doesnt disengage. I cant think of any other problems, i am most certain the install was good, i took my time and follow evomoto write up, ran into 0 issues.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:13 PM

Here is a picture, it seems that it doesnt disengage all the way? This is the way it sits without pressing down on the clutch pedal.
Attached Thumbnails What to do with ACT clutch?-act.jpg  
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
First of all it's easier to help if you give your year/model/trim level
you could also put the mods and est. HP if not stock

put it under your name that way it's on all your posts, so others don't have to search the thread to find where you ID'd the car

guessing it's a 5-spd VIII.

13, +/- 2 ft/lbs is the correct torque on the PP bolts, so you could safely go to 15ft/lbs. Are you sure the PP is bottomed against the flywheel? It's possible but not likely that you could reach 13 ft/lbs before the PP bottomed. You could put locktite on the threads but that's irrelevant to this problem

the picture looks like it may be normal. The real test is to push the TO arm back towards the slave cylinder. Should be able to push it back slowly when the pedal is at rest. If it's locked up then you need to adjust the pedal. Usually there should be no pedal adjustment necessary, they don't get out unless someone changed the adj., or swapped the master. You have to have some freeplay. IOW the pedal and push rod should not be pushing the slave at all in the rest position and it should have about 1/8" travel at the pad before it starts pushing the slave.

Crawl under the dash so you can look at the pushrod, grab the pedal by hand and slowly push, it should have light resistance for the 1/8" travel and then you will feel it hit the slave piston. The pushrod should feel loose when the pedal is at rest.

Last edited by NWM_Tech; Mar 21, 2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by NWM_Tech
First of all it's easier to help if you give your year/model/trim level
you could also put the mods and est. HP if not stock

put it under your name that way it's on all your posts, so others don't have to search the thread to find where you ID'd the car

guessing it's a 5-spd VIII.

13, +/- 2 ft/lbs is the correct torque on the PP bolts, so you could safely go to 15ft/lbs. Are you sure the PP is bottomed against the flywheel? It's possible but not likely that you could reach 13 ft/lbs before the PP bottomed. You could put locktite on the threads but that's irrelevant to this problem

the picture looks like it may be normal. The real test is to push the TO arm back towards the slave cylinder. Should be able to push it back slowly when the pedal is at rest. If it's locked up then you need to adjust the pedal. Usually there should be no pedal adjustment necessary, they don't get out unless someone changed the adj., or swapped the master. You have to have some freeplay. IOW the pedal and push rod should not be pushing the slave at all in the rest position and it should have about 1/8" travel at the pad before it starts pushing the slave.

Crawl under the dash so you can look at the pushrod, grab the pedal by hand and slowly push, it should have light resistance for the 1/8" travel and then you will feel it hit the slave piston. The pushrod should feel loose when the pedal is at rest.

I think that was the prob, i just torque it to 13ft-lbs and left it there last time. This time i use my lil impact gun to make sure it sits right on the flywheel. I had a lil space when i took out the tranny. I didnt even bother to torque it to 13ft-lbs this time because it took some good pressure to get the PP down to the flywheel so if i pull out the torque w. it'll click @ 13-ftlb setting.