Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS 600hp EVO8 on the street

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2003, 09:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by meisnerboy

I can't wait to see this happen!!!!!!!!!

Any new plans for the car Al?
After cracking 535 wheel hp on the stock ecu with the Dyno Flash - its time to take a step upwards to 600 plus whp

Right now we are testing two plug and play ecus - the Autronic which is in the car now and the AEM which will go in next week

We are recomending the Dyno Flash for applications up to 450 whp

For the select few who are going to break that barrier we want to be ready and proficient with a few different plug and play stand alones to acomidate our high hp clients

We will also be custom tuning both these ecus on the awd dyno for anyone who is interetsed in these high hp goals
Old Nov 10, 2003, 07:50 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

If the center diff was locked it would be 50/50 split. The front tires where doing most of the spinning when it blew. You can tell that it blew from too much stress on the gears because the way the housing split along each outside gear, and I showed the diff to the rally place I got it from and they concured the failure mode. I'm assuming you're talking about the Supra diff, which is very strong BTW and you can't make an assumption that just because one torsen style diff handles the abuse in one car that all other torsen style diff's are equally as strong . I'm not saying helical gear (torsen) diff's are weak, it's just that the diff I was using didn't hold up to the abuse/power that I put through it. The case is actually very thin in the area where the side gears where and you could tell where the fracture originated as it propogated through the material. Hope I explained this well

Originally posted by aaronyoung

I have never heard of a helical locking diff breaking from 300whp.

I said 300 cause the front diff only takes half of the torque, the rear diff takes the rest. Remember a 50/50 split...

Sure there were not flaws with the diff before it was installed?

Something just doesn't sound right. Quaife and TRD both make helical differentials and I know atleast two people using them at your power level and have never had a problem. They are both rear drive cars so all the power goes threw the one diff.

aaron
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:19 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Here are some dyno graphs for you guys.
The first one shows our totally stock evo VS. where it is at now.

http://www.automotosports.com/MEDIA/stockvs523whp.JPG

the next shows spool up vs. the stock turbo. Again not max hp just a good graph of spool up time. Keep in mind I only ran the stock turbo to 26psi and our GT2 to 28psi. If I ran our turbo at 26psi it would have spooled up maybe 50-100 rpm sooner than it did at 28psi. There is about a 600-650 rpm difference in spool up on the dyno which will equate to about 500 rpm difference on the street in 3rd or 4th gear. Again I am not maxing this turbo out like I did with the stock turbo. I've pushed over 625whp with this same turbo on built/SEFI DSM's.

http://www.automotosports.com/MEDIA/GT2spoolup.JPG

The motor still has stock internals with the only change being ARP head studs. I did a leakdown test after I did multiple 500whp pulls and it was 3-4% across the board, amazing! I'll have some good videos coming soon.

Martin
Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

can't wait to see the videos!!

when r u gonna run it at the track!!!??? i wanna see AMS get to 10's first!
Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Sick numbers! Lookin forward to more updates and news AMS!

Ken