Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New cams...Evo falls on its face

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the egr recirculates the exhaust gas to burn(or atomize) the fuel faster so when you take that out of the loop, you will be running a bit richer, and more unburnt fuel will be a byproduct. yeah, you probably need a tune to compensate i would imagine. but i could be mistaken.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didnt really think about that, but the sluggish performance and rich AFR's kinda go hand in hand with a boost leak. The car had been tuned before at 28psi with the other cams but obviously it needs to be tuned with the new cams. Again...i do not doubt that i need the tune to be tweaked at all which is why that is scheduled, I just wanted to see if there may be something stupid i could be overlooking when i pulled the whole head and put it back together that would cause the engine to have more power when out of boost than when in boost. I am not out trying to push it to 28psi, just up to even 11psi it actually seems to slow down in acceleration once out of vacuum.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Checked for boost leaks and all was good. Also checked my compression and there were no issues there. I guess I will just have to make the trip and hope for the best. I thank you for the responses and didn't doubt what everyone had to say. Was just questioning for my own understanding. Since I cannot find any other issues, I will assume it is the tune and will make the 5 hour trek.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

There is a HUGE difference between HKS style 272's and Kelford 272's. If you were tuned to 28 PSI on mild 272's and put more aggressive joints.....I'm not going to say it. You already know....besides the turbo the cams are one of the biggest things you can do to change the characteristics of your car.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
There is a HUGE difference between HKS style 272's and Kelford 272's. If you were tuned to 28 PSI on mild 272's and put more aggressive joints.....I'm not going to say it. You already know....besides the turbo the cams are one of the biggest things you can do to change the characteristics of your car.
Thanks man! I do know there would be a definite need for the tune. I was just surprised that it would be that drastic from one to the next. I am sure Chris will make her purr.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Have you double checked the cam timing after having this issue? EGR should be closed when in boost anyway so that should have no effect.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SEEnoEVO
Thanks man! I do know there would be a definite need for the tune. I was just surprised that it would be that drastic from one to the next. I am sure Chris will make her purr.
I think it's a different issue i don't think that it's only the "tune" your car shouldn't be slower if the Kelfords are more agressive, or reeeeeaaaaaallly slow like you said. I think it may be timing. are you having issue with starting the car. I have the same cams and even without the tune and not going over 10psi with no knock i could really feel a difference the car was so much stronger! Just double check your work.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
Have you double checked the cam timing after having this issue? EGR should be closed when in boost anyway so that should have no effect.
Beat me to it.
Double check your cam timing
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

No issues with starting at all. The car idles and runs very smooth outside of boost.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, i jacked my timing up bad when i installed my GSC S2's......double check it and make sure it is dead on. Fixed a very similar issue i had with mine.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I know when I put it all back together the timing was perfect and so was the new tensioner. Actually better than I anticipated. I guess it could have jumped possibly.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VIIIrs
I think it's a different issue i don't think that it's only the "tune" your car shouldn't be slower if the Kelfords are more agressive, or reeeeeaaaaaallly slow like you said. I think it may be timing. are you having issue with starting the car. I have the same cams and even without the tune and not going over 10psi with no knock i could really feel a difference the car was so much stronger! Just double check your work.
I'd agree with this guy... cams shouldn't make your car feel completely dead just because you didn't get a retune. The stock ECU is very good at adjusting timing on the fly due to knock, so even if you got massive knock, you'd still feel a kick in the pants when coming on boost, then maybe a moment after the kick in the pants, the car would feel dead from a lot of timing being pulled.

But if you aren't capable of logging the car with EvoScan to see what's up, then driving to AMS might be best idea. Hard to figure out these problems without being able to log the car and make sure it's not knocking like crazy.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

I can definitely log the car. I actually tuned the car with Tamers the last time around. I will check the timing and also take a log. I know it saw some knock as I have the check engine light mod enabled and saw it flashing. I will see what I can come up with.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

flashing fast or slow? I ask beacuse when my timing was off i was also getting alot of knock. Just a thought.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

without ripping the entire timing cover off again, where the the serpentine crank pulley groove line up to on the timing cover? I know there are markings, but where should that be when the cams are timed up top? I did all the timing setup with the cover off and did it to all the marks and the crank sprocket. I didnt even look at the serpentine pulley once i was done because I knew it was doweled to the crank.

Quick Reply: New cams...Evo falls on its face