Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New cams...Evo falls on its face

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SEEnoEVO
I can definitely log the car. I actually tuned the car with Tamers the last time around. I will check the timing and also take a log. I know it saw some knock as I have the check engine light mod enabled and saw it flashing. I will see what I can come up with.
Yeah do a log, and if you are knocking like crazy, just take out like 4 or 5 degrees across the board for every cell over 100 load 3k rpm. So get rid of the knock, and if it still feels dead, then you know something is up.

Any by "dead", I mean not even in the same ballpark of performance of the old cams.

Before you drive the car more, do double check the cam timing. Put the motor at TDC and make sure the cam pulley marks line up with valve cover marks.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I will try to check the timing today. When i say dead...i mean DEAD. Not even close to the same performance.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

without ripping the entire timing cover off again, where the the serpentine crank pulley groove line up to on the timing cover? I know there are markings, but where should that be when the cams are timed up top? I did all the timing setup with the cover off and did it to all the marks and the crank sprocket. I didnt even look at the serpentine pulley once i was done because I knew it was doweled to the crank.
I know the crank pulley (not crank sprocket) has marks so you can check the timing of the motor with a timing light. I can't remember if it has a mark for TDC, but I know it has marks for like 10-20 degrees advance. Get a flash light and check it out. You have to get just the right angle with the flashlight to see the marks if you are looking in from under the hood.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

What were your AFR's and boost like before and after the cam change?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
I know the crank pulley (not crank sprocket) has marks so you can check the timing of the motor with a timing light. I can't remember if it has a mark for TDC, but I know it has marks for like 10-20 degrees advance. Get a flash light and check it out. You have to get just the right angle with the flashlight to see the marks if you are looking in from under the hood.
Actually I kind of mis-spoke, the timing cover has the marks, and the crank pulley just has a notch. I think the lower cover timing belt cover has a mark for TDC. As I said, check it out and let us know.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Well I wasnt trying to completely dog on it but before I was at 28 psi with about 11.7 or so afr, with the new cams I saw from 10.2 to 10.8.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I just checked on an evo4 engine I have sitting around the house. The lower timing belt cover has 4 marks. The first mark is not labelled, but it should be 15 degrees BTDC, then next mark is labelled as "10 BTDC", the next mark is not labelled but should be 5 degrees BTDC, and the last mark is labelled as "T", or top dead center.

If I were you, I'd try to just swing the motor with the starter motor (without letting the engine start), to see if you get it to line up doing that first. That way you don't have to get under the car to spin the crank.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Ok..i found in another thread that the crank pulley should be lined up to the "T" on the cover. I will try to check this tonight. Thanks again guys for all the help.

EDIT: Thanks for all your help man. I do really appreciate it. With there being no boost leaks, and compression being good, I think the only thing left should be timing. I will report back my findings.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Well I wasnt trying to completely dog on it but before I was at 28 psi with about 11.7 or so afr, with the new cams I saw from 10.2 to 10.8.
Going from 11's to 10's shouldn't make a significant difference like you describe. What about boost? Was the CEL flashing like crazy fast or just intermittently slow?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly I didnt stare too much. I was looking more at the AFR's. If timing looks good to me, I will take it out and get a quick log to post up to see what you think.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly I didnt stare too much. I was looking more at the AFR's. If timing looks good to me, I will take it out and get a quick log to post up to see what you think.
If you are getting big knock counts, best thing to do is, as I said before, pull a bunch of timing to get rid of the massive knock. Keep pulling timing until you have no more knock, and if the car still feels dead, at least it is safe to drive and try to diagnose the problem further.

Don't forget to save your current ROM to disk before making changes.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
If you are getting big knock counts, best thing to do is, as I said before, pull a bunch of timing to get rid of the massive knock. Keep pulling timing until you have no more knock, and if the car still feels dead, at least it is safe to drive and try to diagnose the problem further.

Don't forget to save your current ROM to disk before making changes.
You are the man!! Thanks again!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Just checked timing and it is DEAD on. Not even half a tooth off. Won't be able to pull a log until tomorrow.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

May try pulling my sparktech off and and putting stock coils on to check that. Aftermarket fuel rail wouldn't do anything correct?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't think so your afr's are good getting a tad bit more fuel but not a rediculous amount.

Quick Reply: New cams...Evo falls on its face