Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Some sort of death-whine!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by iTune
Could be a whole host of things. Belts, tensioners, water pump, oil pump, pulleys, balance shaft and/or belt......the list goes on and on. Start troublehooting appropriately. GL!
most of those items won't keep the car from moving at the correct rate. There is literally something gear related (sounds an awful lot like gear teeth anyway) that is slipping similar to a slipping clutch, causing my car to not continue to move at the correct rate.

Originally Posted by dbsears
Don't rule out a wheel bearing...not usually the case at these miles but it can happen. I'm guessing something in the tranny. I have a fairly loud intermittent howl when decelerating above 50mph but it has never got any worse so I don't worry too much.

I have heard input shaft bearing going out on MR's but it shouldn't effect your acceleration.
I ruled out the wheel bearing when I can partially repro the problem in neutral with the ebrake on. Granted, I could still have a wheel bearing issue.

Originally Posted by erald01
is the noise constant through out every gear and speed??? does it sound like a siren kind of whine?? if so it could be the tacase..check this video and see if you relate to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbisxnAW-s
Thanks, very similar! I'll take a video of the sound if I don't end up getting the car to English Racing next week. The sound in mine is different in that you usually can't hear it before 2k. Between 2k and 3k is when it gets really loud, and after 3k the car pretty much isn't responding to the accelerator, at least not in any rapid fashion.

Originally Posted by traxxasman
I've also have a whine. Can't tell where exactly its coming from just that its from the engine bay. It seems like its synchronized with the engine rpm's. And you can only hear it during idle rpms. Waterpump? Alternator? Powersteering? IDK
Now that could be a host of things, especially if you can only hear it at idle. It could be something as simple as the normal sound of a belt or a phantom noise that you think you're hearing for the first time, or a sign of things to come. Good luck, and I'll keep the thread updated with what I find.

I almost wondered if it was the turbo but it doesn't seem to be coming from the correct area. The noise sounds generalized at foot level between the driver and passenger, which is close enough to the tcase and transmission. I might take the intake pipe off tomorrow while messing with the car to see if anything looks amiss though.

Thanks again for the posts. Keep 'em coming!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Update - I changed my tcase and tranny fluids and didn't find any obvious signs of grinding. I made sure AAA is all updated and I'm going to attempt the drive down Souf this coming week. I hope it is something stupid like the internals of my clutch or a combination of a couple different things?

Last edited by yahu; Apr 13, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

^that's pretty much where I'm at, and everyone else that I explain this to, or that hears this. Thankfully I'll be in good hands with the boys at English Racing!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang dude I read your entire thread and dunno. Hopefully ER takes care of you, be sure to post back wtf they found because were all interested!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish i am super Evo mechanic Dan to help you out.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

turbo's have a death whine when they go out also but for the vehicle to not move much when pressing down the gas it does sound drivetrain related. Hope its something stupid.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you taking it to ER? My car should be done soon!

Mikey
Old Apr 4, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost_Inspired
turbo's have a death whine when they go out also but for the vehicle to not move much when pressing down the gas it does sound drivetrain related. Hope its something stupid.
Actually I drove it today and it started making a different noise, almost like a fan hitting a shroud.

Last edited by yahu; Apr 13, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Had a similar problem in my evo once ended up being the front diff and thought it might have been the clutch at first but that's largely because I didn't have any whining noise to really think otherwise.

Here's what I'd do.. set your car up on jackstands or preferrably get it on a lift at a shop, put it in gear and accelerate. If only the front two wheels spin then it's probably your front diff. You can also rule out your clutch by putting it in 4th/5th gear and flooring it. If the rpms jump and you go nowhere then it's your clutch; however, if it just pulls weird like it's only half as fast then again I'd say it's your front differential. Either way... I probably wouldn't be driving it with this problem because you may just make it worse. I'm not an expert on drivetrain issues but I'd be willing to bet it's your differential as oppose to the other things listed in this thread.

If it ends up being your front diff just buy an aftermarket spider gear LSD shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks. TRE and/or Shep should both be able to hook you up. Good luck with it man!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yahu
Actually I drove it today and it started making a different noise, almost like blades hitting something hanging in a housing (like a turbo). I am starting to think it might be the turbo. I am letting the car cool down before digging in.

Hopefully that is it as the turbo is under warranty and one of the easier bits to swap if necessary. I'll keep everyone posted, and thanks for keeping the replies going!

Mikey, I'll probably be heading down sometime this week and depending on the issue, and how hammered ER is, I'd think the car would be ready for pickup in a few, give or take. We'll see, and I'll keep you posted!

I had this problem last year. Started off as a fluttery noise which was a heated argument between me and my woman for months (leading up to this) that it was either the very beginning of rod knock / bearing clearance flutter (her theory since she likes to always side on the fact I break things) mine was annoying lifters being annoying.

Then one day I start the car after it seemed like things had gotten louder and more whiney to a rattling dog **** sound. I think I was more upset that she was right... only to figure out she wasn't. AC compressor was taking a dump.

3 days later it went FULL lock - caught fire - melted chunks of pulley into my belt And physically stopped my car. I clipped the belt and installed one that eliminated the AC and have had no problems since. It felt like I gained 30-40hp since it had been dragging so bad leading up to it's failure. I guess the clutch failed in it's engaged mode and since it couldn't let go a few pulls cooked the pump in short order.

Check it before you say turbo / motor / trans / xcase. Because those things are what keep me up at night thinking about breaking. But it was just a stupid AC compressor. I had 42k on my car when it popped last year.

Oh well... reason to remove AC.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The AC compressor locked up in one of my older cars, which in turn caught the battery on fire... bad business & scary
Old Apr 6, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dan did you find out it was the turbo?

Mikey
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the replies, all. I'll go into details in time but going to see what free work I can get and don't want to ruin any chances of that at this point.

I texted you Mikey, are you deployed? I'll hit you up, Freddie!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yahu
Thanks for the replies, all. I'll go into details in time but going to see what free work I can get and don't want to ruin any chances of that at this point.

I texted you Mikey, are you deployed? I'll hit you up, Freddie!
Yeah this isn't an AC compressor then. Good luck with the issue as it has obviously turned more serious at this point.

Quick Reply: Help! Some sort of death-whine!