Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can thermostat elimination cause overheating?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
put a thermostat back in. i dont see an advantage to not running one and its obviously not working good how you have it now.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:43 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
LOL aren't they talking about a rotary engine?

give me a sec im searching online if EVO's have rotary engines................
that just a quote/example of the thermostat removed for racing which the OP from the tropic is apparently trying to attempt. the evo doesn't have the wankel if I remember correctly. my sigma one time had a worn out thermostat and it took forever to warm the engine. did it overheat the engine no. did it run cooler, yes.

Last edited by sblvro; Mar 19, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
the thermostat is not a switch that opens and close. like you mentioned, it is a wax element and has a specific temp to open. if you notice, there is no lower temp because it is closed at that time. what is the advantage of keeping it closed? the temp is regulated by the fan in your radiator to keep it within normal temp. the purpose of the OP is if he is going to use it in tracking, very hot conditions, what is the advantage of closing the thermostat? none whatsoever. did I give a bad or misleading info than what you have just repeated? no.
At idle, with the engine fully warm, the thermostat most assuredly does open and close. I've stood over the radiator many a time with the cap off after refilling coolant and watched. There is flow for a few seconds and then the flow stops. You can also hear the sound of the water moving through the engine and hear the idle buck up a little to handle the load of the water pump when the stat opens.

On the road, I assume the situation is different. But even then, when conditions are right, I suspect there are times when the stat will close. For example, a very cold day when the heater core is supplying all the cooling necessary.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:20 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its been done! 17th pic on the left.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...ema/index.html
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi we drive our evos in a tropical climate thus warming up the Car is not a prob. Most of us will just remove the
Thermostat to avoid unnessary heating prob if there is a thermostat failure. There has been no overheating probs on the race Track with the thermostat removed. Because when can the thermostat close if is hot all the time on the Track. As u guys mentioned it Opens n closed at 1 specific temp. When the Car is on full throttle i dont think the temp will be ever low enuff for the thermostat to close

Just ma 2 cents.