Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: GSC 2.2L Vs Buschur 2.1L 4G64 Stroker Kit
GSC 2.2L 4G64
44.64%
BUSCHUR 2.1L 4G64
55.36%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

GSC Power-Division 2.2L 4G64 Vs Buschur 2.1L Stroker Kit (Not short block)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
As for which block to build a 2.3 out of, I only build them out the 4g63 currently. Order an engine from us, we'll build it and work out a deal to buy your old block/crank when you send it to us within 30 days of us shipping your new engine.
I got your quote in my PM and you will give me the best return on core out of everyone! That's why I still can't make up my mind.

Also, the relationship you have with Tobz, and me being sponsored by him. He want me to go with your kit and have you or himself build it. It's hard, that's why I am doing as much research as I can.

Reliability is king, because I will be putting around 20k a year on my car.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Like I had said in the PM's, the 2.2 is a great way to go and GSCs kit is the one we carry now. I like both versions (and have done them) using either the '63 or the '64. The 64 can be made to work better with the right headgasket but like DB pointed out it does have less sealing surface. Not necessarily a problem with the right tune and overall power goal but it can be as the power goes up.

To clear one thing up that didnt really come out well, our quote was a COMPLETE shortblock with everything minus the head, not a bare shortblock that needs all your parts thrown on it. It was all the parts needed to make it work, set up, and ready to go.

Aaron
Yes Aaron I know, piecing a kit together seems to cost more. The quote I got from you was for the complete short block. But compared to Buschur and GSC, your short block cost more. It was not apples to apples. If you would like to PM me a quote of the GSC 2.2L on a 4g63 and 4g64 complete short block, so I can compare pricing. I also need to know what type of credit you would give me for the complete stock short block out of my car like Buschur? Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hokiruu
If this is too off topic, let me know and I'll start another thread. I just wanted to ask it while the potato is hot and we have this discussion and the involved parties' attention:

I like that the BR 2.0 is proven and is still one of the lowest priced. I thought it was the lowest price until I saw the GSC 2.0 which still costs considerably less than the BR. It actually looks like a steal looking at the list of components. Would GSC be willing to disclose who makes the rods? Are they made in-house or by another existing rod manufacturer? Or is this top secret and where the savings lie? I haven't seen a lot of these used and am kind of surprised because it looks like a great value.
we designed these in house using existing rod designs and tweaking them (they might look familiar to some. Manufacturing wise we only size the big end and small end in house and weigh them. We do not offer the manufacture's name. Not that this would matter, as probably no one on this board would know who they are anyways. I will say a few other very well known companies use the same manufacture we do.

Why is our kit cheaper... hmm why are the others so expensive? I did look over everyone's pricing and feel that our engine program does offer the best bang for its buck. Reliability at high horsepower is key to our program.

dambikeracer for reliability and ease of installation i would probably stick with the 4G63 for the build. running the 4G64 does offer a cheaper option for an out right purchase of a shortblock along with the taller deck height and the ability to use a wider piston, but you have a good core to use. 9k isnt an issue for our 2.2 kit, I wouldn't suggest running a 100mm stroke crank to 9k RPMS and also be using it for a daily driver.

Just as David said i don't think you will be making a bad decision between either of the companies. Our Engine building room is about packed at the moment but it doesn't mean we wouldn't love to assemble another 2.2L. Lead time right now is under a week from the time we receive a block to the time it ships back.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's to see a list of EVO customers that have run their cars hard and have documented results.

That's what I like about BR. They deliver results not just from their own cars but from their customers. I also like that they have been in the 4G63 business from the beginning.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

If there was one thing I thought I was set on, it was using the 4g64 block. Now, i'm not sure once again. At this point, now I thinking the GSC, 2.2L, 85.5mm, 4g63 or the Buschur 2.3L 4g63?

I know that all this research will pay off in the long run and thank you both for your input!

Last edited by dambikeracer; Mar 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
what head gasket? o-ringed? L-19's?
Power enterprise gasket and L19s. No HG issues at 30psi and 640whp, I based my statement off the findings of others from far back in the past days of 2.4 builds. No one has done more than Marco, his dogbox gearing was setup around the 2.4 in fact.

Prep, gasket, tune.

This will make or break any engine, the 4G64s are just more sensitive.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
... I based my statement off the findings of others from far back in the past days of 2.4 builds.
I think when speaking about this type of thing, you should base your statements on actual experience, or say "I've heard" or something so people know it's not personal experience.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dambikeracer
I got your quote in my PM and you will give me the best return on core out of everyone! That's why I still can't make up my mind.

Also, the relationship you have with Tobz, and me being sponsored by him. He want me to go with your kit and have you or himself build it. It's hard, that's why I am doing as much research as I can.

Reliability is king, because I will be putting around 20k a year on my car.
I am not a nut swinger or shop basher by any means so take note of that, and to show as an example I have a near full AMS engine bay. However I have several core Buschur components and will support ANY shop that makes a quality product and has a good reputation.

I'm replying because you said you need reliability and I have a prime example of such. Roughly 3.5 years ago a friend of mine named Jon Palmer purchased a Buschur 2.0 short block and Stage 3 race head (and I am sure David could give you the exact purchase date). I with a friend put the whole car together and I tuned the car on AEM EMS. It has only ever been on pump gas, has accumulated over 67,000 miles and has run 30psi or more during that time. This car has run 600+ HP cars and either dead even or beat them. This car still has great compression, doesn't burn no more oil than any standard built engine with forged internals would burn, and is daily driven.

How is that for reliability?

** Edited for mileage update.

Last edited by itzwolf; Apr 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

good stuff
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:13 AM

go with the 2.2L, i have some dsm and evo buddy's, that i used to be cool with, and i heard from a mutual friend that they have been having problems with the 2.1l strokers(not sure of the brands though).
Old May 19, 2010, 11:51 PM

I currently am deciding on a block to get too, I'm really leaning towards to 2.2L from GSC. I daily drive my evo and do weekend track days sometimes, but if your looking for a street monster, I'm thinking the 2.0 or the 2.2l. I have the fp black, haven't used it yet, but I have done research and watch a ton of videos from 2.0's and 2.2's, and the 2.2 gsc put out some good numbers. These are all my opinions, but from page 1 to 6 that I read on the vote between your descion making. I'm going with the 2.2L. Just tryin to help out
Old May 20, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

I've been running the GSC 2.2l (4G63 core) for over two years now, and have over 25,000 miles on it. It's mated to a AMS GT35R turbo kit, with a Buschur front mount and double pumper, so I'm not playing favorites.

I can tell you, my car is a DD boosted to 25-30psi daily on meth, and the engine has ran trouble free. A very nice selling point I've realized after the fact is, when cruizing in a gear at normal speeds (ie 5th gear at 60 mph), it's nice to be able to accelerate without having to downshift due to the extra torque this motor offers. This wasn't one of the 'must wins' I had when I was shopping for a motor, but it's definitely a bonus.

the GSC 2.2l has served me well, and I'm quite happy with my choice.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
I've been running the GSC 2.2l (4G63 core) for over two years now, and have over 25,000 miles on it. It's mated to a AMS GT35R turbo kit, with a Buschur front mount and double pumper, so I'm not playing favorites.

I can tell you, my car is a DD boosted to 25-30psi daily on meth, and the engine has ran trouble free. A very nice selling point I've realized after the fact is, when cruizing in a gear at normal speeds (ie 5th gear at 60 mph), it's nice to be able to accelerate without having to downshift due to the extra torque this motor offers. This wasn't one of the 'must wins' I had when I was shopping for a motor, but it's definitely a bonus.

the GSC 2.2l has served me well, and I'm quite happy with my choice.
thank you for the advice. I'm really excited now. Did you get the copper o-rings with your 2.2 as an option? Or no? And what compression do you have?
Old May 21, 2010, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

I did not opt for the o-ringing of the block. I'm running 8.8:1.

Originally Posted by MrEvo8Dave
thank you for the advice. I'm really excited now. Did you get the copper o-rings with your 2.2 as an option? Or no? And what compression do you have?