Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need help with a broken bolt!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with a broken bolt!!!!

Well I was just finishing up installing my new FP red with a friend when disaster struck. Basically all that was left to do was tighten the spring bolts that hold the downpipe to the o2 housing and my friend decided he would do it for me. Well the first bolt goes in fine(I'm thinking wow I can't believe we didnt run into any issues with this install) then he goes to tighten the second and it snaps...I'm not sure if anyone has run into this before but it really effing sucks especially when youre staying late after work and want to go home. So I have a couple ideas on how to get it out of the o2 housing, but I'd like to get as many opinions as possible. I'm making an 800 mile road trip friday and this thing absolutely needs to be fixed. I would really prefer to not pull the turbo out again.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
use an extractor on the stud....
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

that happened to me not to long ago but all the might in the world wasnt going to allow this bolt to come out so i just pulled the turbo back out and drilled and tapped it, or you can just drill it out and put a nut and bolt through it, it all works
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think an extractor will be able to get it out, its pretty rusty. I knew I should have re-tapped it before I put the turbo back on. Probably gonna go the nut and bolt route. Gotta figure out a way to center the spring on the bolt though...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

i personally would pull the turbo out agai, and see if i could clamp the **** out of some vice grips to get it out, if that doesnt work it just drill and re-tap
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like you are at a shop.... if you have an oxy/aceytalene torch.... heat up the manifold around the stud (red hot), then use a stud extractor and it will turn right out... just DONT get the stud red hot...(it will snap if you do, and you will be even more F%#^ed)..
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fricci4993
It sounds like you are at a shop.... if you have an oxy/aceytalene torch.... heat up the manifold around the stud (red hot), then use a stud extractor and it will turn right out... just DONT get the stud red hot...(it will snap if you do, and you will be even more F%#^ed)..
+1 for the torch idea, i totally forgot about that, you can even use a normal propane torch from home depot too if you dont have an aceytalene
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

whenever i am removing bolts that have been on the car for awhile in a hot or rusty area i have a torch ready to help me. i would go that route with an extractor
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

The "I's" have it.... it's time to torch it :-)
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evowario
use an extractor on the stud....
If I am not mistaken there are no studs, but rather two through bolts holding the DP and the O2 housing flanges together.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flymx771
Well I was just finishing up installing my new FP red with a friend when disaster struck. Basically all that was left to do was tighten the spring bolts that hold the downpipe to the o2 housing and my friend decided he would do it for me. Well the first bolt goes in fine(I'm thinking wow I can't believe we didnt run into any issues with this install) then he goes to tighten the second and it snaps...I'm not sure if anyone has run into this before but it really effing sucks especially when youre staying late after work and want to go home. So I have a couple ideas on how to get it out of the o2 housing, but I'd like to get as many opinions as possible. I'm making an 800 mile road trip friday and this thing absolutely needs to be fixed. I would really prefer to not pull the turbo out again.
I can't quite understand the problem. Are you having trouble getting the remaining bolt out?

Last edited by sparky; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warstang27
i personally would pull the turbo out agai, and see if i could clamp the **** out of some vice grips to get it out, if that doesnt work it just drill and re-tap
Maybe I am way off and visualizing the wrong thing, but if my memory serves me well, there are no tapped internal threads at this particular location.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Maybe I am way off and visualizing the wrong thing, but if my memory serves me well, there are no tapped internal threads at this particular location.
not the downpipe but on the os housing is the thread
remove the turbo it will be alot easy that way
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

I know you're not going to like this, but the smartest/safest way to aid this problem is going to be removing the turbo. Some heat and a good pair of locking vice grips will take care of this.

If your deadset against taking it out, try this. Find a socket that's too small to fit around the stud, and pound the hell out of it till it's on. Remove stud. Also, throw some PB blaster on there and let it sit for a while.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the thread says he was installing/tightening the bolt so rust is not the issue, he just tightened it too much. If you can't get vise grips on it, it might come out easily because it's not seized in place. I've gotten flush broken bolts out by just using a small centerpunch with a hammer and tapping on the broken area off-center in a "loosening" fashion.

be VERY careful with the extractors- people use these and break them and then you're even in worse shape because they're very hard and then you can't easily drill them out.

Quick Reply: Need help with a broken bolt!!!!