Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

alarm killed the battery store?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alarm killed the battery store?

ok, so I've had my evo for around 8 months or so now and loving every minute of it. however Im at a crossroad..

a few months after getting the car, the battery kept dying. tested it and it couldnt hold a charge, so I got a new one (duralast full size). No issues since.. as long as I drive the car at least once a week or two (Im at school for majority of the year, and sometimes the evo will sit for a week or two without being driven). Myself and a couple others have come to the conclusion that the viper alarm, which is installed on the car, kills the battery if it sits too long. anybody shed some light on this? normal for an alarm to kill a battery that quick?

Next, I'm considering trading set-ups on the car, which would require either a battery relocation or mini battery. Anybody shed some light on this? is it worth getting a small battery, or am I going to be jumping it all the time? I dont always let the car sit for 2 weeks on end between drives, but it does happen on occasion, and I cant be stranded if I need to get somewhere.

simple questions, i know, but i keep getting mixed answers on the small battery question.. looking for first hand knowledge/opinions on that and if my viper alarm is normal, or if its slightly hurr-durr and getting drunk off of my battery.

thanks guys
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Viper alarm system has killed two full-sized batteries on my Evo. The first time I left my car parked for about three weeks w/o starting it. But, that battery was about two yearz old, so I thought that its time was due.

However, more recently, I installed another new battery and left the car parked for 8 weeks with the battery connected and sure, that battery went dead as well.

Now, if I am going to leave it parked for anyy period longer than one week...I disconnect the Evo's battery.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

ok, so i guess thats not out of the ordinary for viper systems. Ive never seen one kill a battery this quick.

bump for mini battery owners
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gf's evo has had the same problem and we have always thought it was her viper alarm but wasn't sure. We replaced her mini battery with a new one and it still happens. We were thinking about getting a full size battery again and then moving it to the trunk but after reading this it doesn't appear to fix it. She has a viper alarm but I'm not sure which one.

Anyone have thoughts on why it would do this?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I'd think that a mini-battery would ony tend to shorten the agony.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 25, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Yeah, I'd think that a mini-battery would ony tend to shorten the agony.
^ this is what im thinking, but if its going to be the same agony I might as well do it so i can run piping easier.

I'd rather keep the battery up front than run wiring to the trunk, but if itll make it worse, i dont know. I thought about a battery kill switch, but then that defeats the purpose of an alarm in the first place .
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump if anyone has a solution to this.

my battery dies on me if i dont start my car at all. its really frustrating that i have to start my car EVERYDAY in order for the battery not to die on me. i dont daily drive my evo.

maybe recommendations for a new alarm that doesnt kill your mini battery?