Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lauched now clucking when turning.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lauched now clucking when turning.

So i havent launched my evo since last year, and i had my cousin in my car for the first time. I did a few pulls and I decided to show him what an AWD launch is all about. I pre-loaded the drivetrain, got on the two step and slipped the clutch. Car launches like a champ, half was thru first i hear i pop from the back( e-85 and my car tends t backfire after launching) but nothing seemed wrong, ran out 4th with no problem. I slowed down and went to turn on the next road and as i'm turning i feel the drivers side REAR wheel clunk.

I stop immediately i get under the car and thinking and see nothing wrong. No fluid leaks or anything. I being to tug on all the suspension components and nothing is loose. I get back in the car and drive slowly if first. I dont hear anything and the car is not pulling to the left or right. Stop again get under and see nothing out of the norm. I go to turn back around and as i'm turning the wheel clunks and and feels like its popping up and down. Stop again get back under and no diff leaks at axle spline but i do see that i boot clamp got stretched and came loose. I drove back a few miles and only had clunks when turning.

At this point i'm certain that my LSD gave out, either seizing or sheared a tooth off as i only get the clunks when turning. The only time i have heard of the wheel hopping when turing is when drag cars have a spool or manually lockable LSD.

My main question is, is it still safe to drive the car or can i cause damage to my trasfercase by driving my car with a damaged LSD/ rear diff?

Last edited by redevo58; Mar 29, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

check ur wheel hub bearing.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

A guy that lives near me had a similar issue a year or so ago, turned out to be his Transfer Case. I don't know if his went b/c of a launch or not. I can tell you this though, in the 8 years that I've worked as technician, I've never heard a hub bearing "pop." CV axles will pop when turning, but they don't just start out of the blue.

I wouldn't drive, not until you can have a shop say which portion of the driveline is broke. If the rear diff is damaged, driving on it can cause it to seize which will lock the rear wheels up and do even more damage.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redevo58
i do see that i boot clamp got stretched and came loose. I drove back a few miles and only had clunks when turning.
Axel?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:46 AM

I have the same problem minus I never launched the car
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-problems.html
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry guys i was tired when i wrote this and its the rear drives side that clanks/hops when turning not the front. I think i siezed my LSD since when driving in a straight line the car does not pull to the sides, nor do i hear anything whinning the rear end only hops when making 90 degreee turns. . The rear diff in not leaking nor are the axles snapped, but i did mangage to blow off boot clamp. My shop said it should be safe to drive it as long as nothing is visably damaged from the outside and as long as nothing is whining when driving in a straight line. I took the car upto about 140mph on that pass so if something was going to go i would have known about it already. I just dont want to damage my transfercase since by getting too much stress from the rear. Ex like driving with different size wheels on an AWD car kills x-cases. Something like that.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
spider gears on your diff do that,

a good quick test,, jack up the car in the air and by hand try and rotate the tires,, the oposite tire should rotate the oposite way you of the one you are turning,, you migh also hear clunk noises,,, also drain your fluid and you will see chunks of metal,, IF thats the case.

it could still be the center diff in the TC

this is what normally hapens
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:44 AM

well i Also launched off 2 step tonight and my evo started knocking while turning hard to the left, if i try to go in a circle the steering wheel feels as if its wanting to go to the right instead of the left as if its fighting to go left? you think this could be the axle? other than turning there is no sound and no shakes or problems?? if its the axle which one is it? how can i tell? I do kno it's deff coming from the front ??
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apagan01
it could still be the center diff in the TC

this is what normally hapens
Center diff is in the gearbox, VCU is in TC, right?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Center diff is in the gearbox, VCU is in TC, right?
yes, the center diff is in the transmission case and the front diff is in the transfer case. The ACD cars have a secondary set of clutches/plates in the transfer case for power transfer from the center diff as well, but the "true" center diff is in the transmission.

Your assumption that by going 140, if something was going to go you would know about it, is about as far from the truth as you can get. At speed, in a straight line, all 4 wheels are going the same speed, thereby masking any issues concerning the front and rear differentials.

Your shop telling you that it is safe to drive on is wrong. The more you drive with the lsd damaged in the rear, the worse it will become. Right now, you can probably just replace the LSD in the rear, but if you keep driving, you'll most likely need a whole new diff. We had an Evo with a Kaaz LSD in the rear that grenaded b/c the owner kept driving on it after it started to make noise.

The best advice I can give you is not to drive it. If anything, it saves you from the possibility of have to spend more money to replace both the rear diff and transfer case.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StreetEvo
yes, the center diff is in the transmission case and the front diff is in the transfer case. The ACD cars have a secondary set of clutches/plates in the transfer case for power transfer from the center diff as well, but the "true" center diff is in the transmission.

Your assumption that by going 140, if something was going to go you would know about it, is about as far from the truth as you can get. At speed, in a straight line, all 4 wheels are going the same speed, thereby masking any issues concerning the front and rear differentials.

Your shop telling you that it is safe to drive on is wrong. The more you drive with the lsd damaged in the rear, the worse it will become. Right now, you can probably just replace the LSD in the rear, but if you keep driving, you'll most likely need a whole new diff. We had an Evo with a Kaaz LSD in the rear that grenaded b/c the owner kept driving on it after it started to make noise.

The best advice I can give you is not to drive it. If anything, it saves you from the possibility of have to spend more money to replace both the rear diff and transfer case.
thanks for the advice. I called my shop again and they said the same thing you did. I'm going to get the car towed back home and am going to rip apart the rear to find the culprit.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck and I hope it's not anything more than the LSD itself.
Old May 2, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

redevo58, you ever figure it out? I'm having the same problem.

I lift the front end and the wheels will turn oposite of each other. No clunking noise when the spin but they won't spin a full revolution. It binds up or is that just cause the rear wheels are on the ground?
Old May 2, 2010, 08:59 PM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Any news on this?
Old May 2, 2010, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Thats not right!

The FRONT diff is in the transmission, the CENTER diff is in the transfer case and the rear diff is obvious.

Im going to go with you broke the Diff in the Transfer case. Ive done it 5 times now and know it like the back of my hand. haha If you were closer and my car wasnt apart id tell ya bring it over. But my bet is the Transfer case. If so go with ATLEAST the RS diff, but if you have some extra laying around, get either a Quaife or Wavetrac. They are both worth the money and warranty.

Quick Reply: Lauched now clucking when turning.