Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ix turbo install questions/concerns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ix turbo install questions/concerns

Ive read through all of the threads that I could find on installing a IX turbo on a VIII. I still had most of my questions unanswered.

So Ive recently bought a complete IX turbo "kit." By kit i mean the turbo with factory lines, OEM O2 housing, OEM Manifold, OEM IX j pipe etc.

Questions:

1. Will the IX manifold and O2 housing fit my VIII head and downpipe? Im running the BR 3 inch downpipe. I would assume there is no difference between the VIII's and IX's but I wanted to be sure...

2. The j pipe that comes with the "install kit" for evo VIII's is just the OEM IX j pipe right? So the one I have should be good? Same questions for the oil lines and water line? The factory Ix lines should line up properly with my VIII block?

3. Since I have everything apart right now is upgrading my O2 housing a good idea? Or maybe porting it? Should I just leave it alone?

4. Should I port the Manifold? If I port the manifold shouldn't the head be port matched to make it effective?

5. What about coating or painting the manifold and O2? Im not looking to make it flashy or anything but it would be nice to have them be a nice black color instead of a rust brown color. I have access to a large oven that could bake them properly if I needed to. Im not sure what temps these pieces get too and if they make paint that will withstand these temps. Any ideas?

6. Also when doing the install should I remove the radiator to make things easier? or will I just be able to do things carefully and leave it in there?

Thanks for any answers guys! Im hoping this will give me a nice bump in power. Also Ive read some older threads about the IX turbos not holding boost at higher rpms like the VIII's but making more low end torque and power? Any merit to this? Experience? I want a nice street profile setup.

In case its relevant my current mods are:

GSC S2's w/ beehive springs
Vibrant MAF adapter + filter
Walbro 255
BR TBE with test pipe
Tune

Thats pretty much it for engine mods.

-Ethan
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

as for question 1 and 2 everything should fit fine as long as u have the 9 j pipe and lines. some bend the water line but since u have the 9's it should work fine

I plan to pull the radiator when i do mine just to have some space to work. its only a few bolts and you have to drain it anyways, so IF u have the time, why not. GL
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by randomevo
as for question 1 and 2 everything should fit fine as long as u have the 9 j pipe and lines. some bend the water line but since u have the 9's it should work fine

I plan to pull the radiator when i do mine just to have some space to work. its only a few bolts and you have to drain it anyways, so IF u have the time, why not. GL
Thanks for the response. And good call on having to drain the radiator anyway ha! That didnt cross my mind for some reason. Im sure I would have been met with quite the mess when I loosed up the water line lol.

-Ethan
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for some more answers?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Answers in bold

Originally Posted by ethan169

Questions:

1. Will the IX manifold and O2 housing fit my VIII head and downpipe? Im running the BR 3 inch downpipe. I would assume there is no difference between the VIII's and IX's but I wanted to be sure...

DP will fit fine

2. The j pipe that comes with the "install kit" for evo VIII's is just the OEM IX j pipe right? So the one I have should be good? Same questions for the oil lines and water line? The factory Ix lines should line up properly with my VIII block?

No, 8 and 9 jpipes are different, do not use the 8 jpipe on the 9 turbo

3. Since I have everything apart right now is upgrading my O2 housing a good idea? Or maybe porting it? Should I just leave it alone?

dont waste your time on porting a stock one. For $100ish you can get a megan. Def a good upgrade

4. Should I port the Manifold? If I port the manifold shouldn't the head be port matched to make it effective?

If you can afford it, most definitely

5. What about coating or painting the manifold and O2? Im not looking to make it flashy or anything but it would be nice to have them be a nice black color instead of a rust brown color. I have access to a large oven that could bake them properly if I needed to. Im not sure what temps these pieces get too and if they make paint that will withstand these temps. Any ideas?

I self coated mine, they came out great. The manifold has since dulled a bit, but if you can coat the heat shield, that has held up great and looks good

6. Also when doing the install should I remove the radiator to make things easier? or will I just be able to do things carefully and leave it in there?

Dont NEED too. I have removed the hotside a few times to install o2 housings and have never needed to remove the radiator. Just be aware it is there.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Mr Turco.

Quick note on the j pipes. I may have worded it incorectly. What i have is a complete Evo ix setup. So this means the j pipe is in fact from a Evo ix not my viii. My question was the j pipe that is required to fit the ix turbo to the viii is just a oem ix pipe? I'm aware of the clearance issues with the viii j pipe and starter.

Also what did you use as a diy for the ceramic coating? Any comments on an o2 dump compared to a Megan o2 housing?

Thanks again.

Ethan
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any OEM 9 jpipe - which i believe is included in the 9 turbo evo 8 conversion kit - will work.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm
Black satin

You have to use, or it is strongly recommended, that you use a specific blast media, i think black alum oxide, i forget.

Here are some pics from the install: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...pping-egt.html

O2 dump works i guess. I honestly cant stand the sound and haven't seen massive gains to make the obnoxious sound worth the power gained. FWIW all gains i have seen on a dump are slightly higher boost/power up top versus drop off, not peak numbers.

Last edited by MR Turco; Mar 29, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

I thought that you could use the manifold and 02 housing from the VIII?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you can use the 8 manifold and O2 they are the same.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

awesome thanks for the info guys!