Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

just got hta green tuned, stuck at 360/360

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by italianevo88
Well hell if you can make the power thats awesome, but it seems the torque would tear a stock block up
Yes. Another thing that is especially dangerous for a stock motor with the HTA Green is the fact that the torque curve hits so early. This low end torque is especially difficult for stock internals. Quite a few people who have bought this turbo and really cranked things up learned that lesson the hard way.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I have used that rule for quite awhile with only 2 notable cases of failure. For reference I went 49k with absolutely no issues, pulled the motor, did the inspection and even posted pictures of them (rods/pistons/bearings).

On to the bad news-

Jake our tech with the 2.4 stock turbo that makes 476/495 now, lost a rod at 384 ft lbs on his stock motor (142k old). There were extenuating circumstances which we believe was related to a boost control issue on a cold winter night (free boosting on the street for the loss). This would obviously have put the put the torque far higher and knowing what I do about free boosted stock turbos probably more like 450-460 ft lbs.

JohnnyTsi was also around 380-390 ft lbs. He had a rod go through the block but in reality it was the piston broke in two at the wrist pin. The top half of the piston was perfect and slid up and down the bore. The fact it was no longer connected allowed the rod to exit the block and hit the T-case as well.

Other than that the 400 ft lb rule has been a very safe and predictable level for the stock 2.0L. I am sure there are a few others out there that were using that as a guideline and had problems (one I know of but cant think of the user's name) but for the other 99% it seems safe. However as you pointed out the cost is not worth it and being proactive and deciding to invest in a motor is a much better and financially sound idea.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all this talk makes me appreciate my lower tq numbers and higher horsepower haha
Old Jun 6, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I have used that rule for quite awhile with only 2 notable cases of failure. For reference I went 49k with absolutely no issues, pulled the motor, did the inspection and even posted pictures of them (rods/pistons/bearings).

On to the bad news-

Jake our tech with the 2.4 stock turbo that makes 476/495 now, lost a rod at 384 ft lbs on his stock motor (142k old). There were extenuating circumstances which we believe was related to a boost control issue on a cold winter night (free boosting on the street for the loss). This would obviously have put the put the torque far higher and knowing what I do about free boosted stock turbos probably more like 450-460 ft lbs.

JohnnyTsi was also around 380-390 ft lbs. He had a rod go through the block but in reality it was the piston broke in two at the wrist pin. The top half of the piston was perfect and slid up and down the bore. The fact it was no longer connected allowed the rod to exit the block and hit the T-case as well.

Other than that the 400 ft lb rule has been a very safe and predictable level for the stock 2.0L. I am sure there are a few others out there that were using that as a guideline and had problems (one I know of but cant think of the user's name) but for the other 99% it seems safe. However as you pointed out the cost is not worth it and being proactive and deciding to invest in a motor is a much better and financially sound idea.
Aaron - I guess one solution would be to limit the boost at lower RPMs and then gradually increase boost with RPMs - similar to a supercharger. The torque curve would likely be flatter and still yield the same high end hp.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Aaron - I guess one solution would be to limit the boost at lower RPMs and then gradually increase boost with RPMs - similar to a supercharger. The torque curve would likely be flatter and still yield the same high end hp.

This is what I was going to consider if I stuck with my stock setup. Running Tephra V7 and doing some gear dependent boost to control low RPM torque numbers. I thought to myself, it is a crime to dial BACK the power of a setup so I cashed in and upgraded...
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say just be cariful with stock bottom if you plan to keep it maybe consider a red instead for your protection