Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dealership Damaged Wedge Collar!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's part of the actual pressure plate, it's not supposed be apart from it. here's a picture of an exedy twin, courtesy of AMS's website, that is a pull-type clutch and you'll notice the collar is attached to the center of the pressure plate.

I answered you question in my post above, but I'll say it again: The piece you need to replace is the pressure plate, aka clutch cover. If that piece was broken before hand, the dealer should have called to ask if you a new one or not, but by them not calling before hand it's back on them.

Edit: If you didn't know already, the stock clutch for the Evo 8 is an Exedy Organic. And though the clutch pictured is not an Exedy Organic, it has that same retaining ring/collar as pictured.

Last edited by StreetEvo; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:09 PM

Well i guess my next question is that when i talked to him and setup the job, he said that he could NOT guarantee the clutch itself because it was "used" but that he COULD guarantee the work done.

The way i see this is that regardless weather i gave them a new one to replace with or not, they broke a fully functioning part *Wedge Collar* while working on my car with this "Guaranteed Work".

The way I am seeing this is that they should be legally responsible to replace anything and everything required to remedy the situation.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:10 PM

its not a twin its a oem replace from exedy its actually quite a bit diff from that pic. I saw OEM straight out of mitshu and the exedy clutch side by side while in the shop. they are almost the same and look exactly like the other clutches that do not have that listed as a included part.

Last edited by PsychoLogiKal; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:12 PM

You know you can bend it back? Does not look all that damage to me.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by theLAM
You know you can bend it back? Does not look all that damage to me.
thats not the photo of the actual piece as stated in the same post as the pic. that is a pic off google. it is missing now 3 prongs *the manager of service department broke the 3rd prong that was bent infront of my eyes while i was there*.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

I know the factory clutch isn't a twin plate. But that was the first pic I came across that showed what I was talking about.

theLAM, once that ring comes out, there's no reusing it.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:20 PM

When i looked at them side by side in the shop it seems very much like a removable piece.

well regardless that does not change the fact that they broke the piece. when it was supposed to be re-used

Last edited by PsychoLogiKal; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

you need a new pressure plate. If they had not have broken the 3 tabs, you could have put it back in place with the 2 wavy washers.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:09 AM

Just found a local place with a pressure plate with it intact, so now got to go get it.

I honestly feel they are liable for damages and reimbursement for hassle time gas and cell minutes used for this ordeal even though i did not supply a new "Wedge Collar" with the replacement pressure plate because they damaged the old one in the vehicle, *which they are denying they did* In which they were supposed to re-use.

anyone care to comment on the legality of this?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Why is your Evo at a Subaru dealership ???? Tell them you'll trade it for a new STi...
Forget the headache. I say +1

Good luck man... It is rough not having anyone knowledgeable around to work on your car. That's how it was with our S2000 when we started track prepping it. Sure the dealership could do normal work. But no one around was good at doing modification type work.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't think you could buy the Wedge collar separate. I went down this path a bit ago and was unable to find that part without having to buy the pressure plate
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:15 AM

They are not going to cover anything on a used part. Just go pick up the local pressure plate and have them install it and be done. Shops generally never cover parts you bring them to install and never on a used part.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

You brought in a USED part and it broke. They arn't going to cover anything.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
So you brought a Subaru dealership a used clutch missing parts for a Mitsubishi? Sounds to me like you're trying to find someone to blame for YOUR mistakes. The wedge collar is not designed to be a reusable part or swapped from one pressure plate to another; even if they did damage it they shouldn't be held liable.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 03:13 PM

it can be re-used easily while not recommended it is done commonly due to people messing up the install and breaking the new one.

the one that was supposed to be re-used, they were the ones who damaged it while doing dis-assembly.

From our initial conversation at the beginning of it all he said he would install the used clutch and could not guarantee the part but that he could guarantee the work done. Last i checked this part was damaged by them during this guaranteed work being done.

All is good though...they are sending overnight a pressure plate at their cost from a Subaru dealership in Denver. Highly doubt it will bolt up to my Exedy flywheel but even if it wont we will be able to use the Wedge Collar from the STI plate because the operation of the clutch is exactly the same type of push pull and they throw-out bearings are literally the same part.

We have come to terms with discount for troubles and such...and if said goes as stated above will actually be satisfied with their response to this issue.

Quick Reply: Dealership Damaged Wedge Collar!!!