Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dealership Damaged Wedge Collar!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership Damaged Wedge Collar!!!

Originally posted on accident in the advanced forum....

ok so now i have my Evo VIII in pieces sitting at a dealership and they have no clue how to get one. btw its a subaru dealership doing the work.

What the heck can i do man, where can i get one.....its been nice the last 3 days for the first time in months and i'm dying to take my baby for a spin.

EDIT: Issue resolved with car on the road.

Last edited by PsychoLogiKal; Apr 2, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why can't they get one from Mitsubishi, if they are at fault, they need to replace the part.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo unknown
Why can't they get one from Mitsubishi, if they are at fault, they need to replace the part.
Thats the dealers and shops are supposed to do, Argue and be a complete A$$ thats the only way to get anything done with them
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:24 PM

they are not a mitshu dealership so they have no clue what that part was called or anything they have no clue what assembly it comes with in order to order it. I was having them install a slightly used clutch that i got from a member on these forums first of the year.

the wedge collar that they broke was the one that was installed in the evo at dis-assembly. which by watching the videos on installation online i can see that they did indeed damage it *they say that it was broken already when they dis-assembled* when trying to assemble it again the first time i can deduce by the fact that -

the clutch has worked fine from the day i got it until it slowly went out as all clutches do. while i was there inspecting what they said was wrong and what they needed me to get, i noticed that one of the 6 prongs *2 of which were completely gone* was bent down outwards over the indentation that fits on the pressure plate and was freshly indented into it.

From this i can see that while installing it a pin got bent and pressed when trying to slide the transmission into place, the throw-out bearing knocked the ring off the other prongs and down into the pressure plate abyss.

From which i can also deduce that what probably happened is that the other pins were not broken to begin with at all and that while being (Slammed / Bent) it snapped off the 2 prongs that were completely gone.

Remember that my clutch has worked from day 1 and a mitshu dealership is the one who installed it, and it happened to be the biggest dealer for evos on the west coast so i HIGHLY doubt they screwed up. let alone it has worked this entire time and if those prongs were broke like they say already the clutch would not have worked at all.

i know i see my mistake now taking it there but as it stands i need a new one, don't know the part number, and didn't know the name of it till i did a ton of research but still can't find a place to get it even though i know its called a wedge collar.

I have attached a photo of exactly what piece i am talking about although this photo is one i pulled off google images of a non-broken one.
Attached Thumbnails Dealership Damaged Wedge Collar!!!-wedge-collar.jpg  
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Why is your Evo at a Subaru dealership ???? Tell them you'll trade it for a new STi...
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Right, I know the car is at a Subaru dealership, but they should be able to identify the part at least and get in contact with Mitsubishi to get the necessary parts.

Search into this further and make sure no other parts need to be replaced when the wedge collar is replaced.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:33 PM

Because while going to school on my G.I. Bill unfortunately i live in the Midwest and honestly have no access to a mitsu dealership.

Plus it was just a freaking clutch change in which i supplied the parts. Only reason why they are doing it is that in my current living condition and seeing as how i'm no longer active duty i have no access to the lifts that make this job bearable and no one would rent me one for a day i asked.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by evo unknown
Right, I know the car is at a Subaru dealership, but they should be able to identify the part at least and get in contact with Mitsubishi to get the necessary parts.

Search into this further and make sure no other parts need to be replaced when the wedge collar is replaced.
I Have been searching all day since I found out 8 hours ago. But to no avail I have come up with very little information on the wedge collar. As is right now I'm not even too sure which part exactly the Wedge Collar comes with. I'm leaning more towards the clutch kit but all clutch kits I have seen have no mention of this piece even the ones with detailed breakdowns of the parts enclosed. Even the clutch kit that I inspected at O'riellys in person *all be it it was not the Evo clutch cause they didn't have it but it was a Quick connect / Quick disconnect clutch as the evos is* didn't have it included.

Last edited by PsychoLogiKal; Mar 31, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

There is a guy on here who gets all oem parts for customers. I forget his name and website, but maybe someone else can back me up. I believe it was mike? who is from a website of something like evolutionparts.net? Trying to help any way I can.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:48 PM

http://www.rhdjapan.com/mazda-oem-we...lar-fd3s-62712 has it listed as P/N 16-415 and supposedly RX7 and Mitshu Wedges are interchangeable i read somewhere not sure, but no matter thats the only place i can find it as the aforementioned place and http://www.mitsubishiparts.net does not have any listing under that p/n.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:50 PM

somehow though i get this sense of WTF MAN THEY BROKE A PIECE OF MY VEHICLE while working on it and should be entitled to something as they have now BLOWN their timetable to complete this as i was told it would be done the same day i brought it in. PLUS I'm now having to buy the part they broke, lost time, lost gas searching everywhere for this part today. aggravation. i mean it was supposed to be done tuesday they had already blown their time table before this problem came up.

Last edited by PsychoLogiKal; Mar 31, 2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Clutch jobs are usually a fullll day job, if not an overnighter to finish it up. It is up to you to get on their @$$ about this situation. Very unfortunate, but hey, as long as it is fixed properly and they work with you in a reasonable time, then it will be ok.

I know your feeling of wanting it back, especially when the weather gets nice out after winter, but make them take care of it properly asap. Ask them what is going to be done to fix this.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

From memory, when I had my clutch replaced, the collar comes installed on the pressure plate. So, the dealer needs to order you a new pressure plate at the least, since I doubt you will find a collar that can be easily installed and work properly.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Russel is the guy from mitsubishiparts.net you want to talk to. If its not listed on the site, he should be able to find it for you.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:02 PM

EDIT: post answered just missed a post.... :P

Quick Reply: Dealership Damaged Wedge Collar!!!