Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Flutter (Different but weird)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Flutter (Different but weird)

Ok... i have a 06 GG IX SE.... it has intake, tbe, tune, forged rs bov (recirculating). before my tune everything was great no matter what gear, if i layed into it it would hold boost fine. Now after my tune i run about 22 lbs at peak and it drops down to about 15 at redline. ( i think that is normal? right?)

Well this is what happens if i am going 40 at im in 5th gear and i WOT it gets to full boost then starts jerking cause the bov or wastegate flutters and opens or something till it gets to about 3500k rpm? i dont know what it is? is this common or is it normal for higher boost evo's? or if anyone knows where a thread like this one is can you point me in the right direction? Everything helps!

Just FYI my tuner said it was normal!?

Edit: if i am going 40 and i am in 3rd and lay into it, it is absolutely fine! its just at low rpms so if i am going 25 in 4th and WOT it does the same thing! basically if im not in the right gear at the right time it does it
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:49 PM

Hey, check my thread out. Kind of sounds like the same. I am stumped. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...operation.html

Last edited by traxxasman; Apr 1, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

I think yours is a little different... maybe the same but seems different. Mine is really quick flutters and jerks but only in a higher gear at WOT at low rpms... if i am going 40 in 3rd and lay into it is pulls like a mother but like on the highway going 75 in 5th and i lay into it, it goes.... phf phf phf phf phf really fast like the bov is opening and closing and opening and closing until the rpms pick up to about 4000k maybe then just pulls smoothely!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Back from the dead?

I just had a 3-port installed and tune, and Im getting the exact same symptoms. Did anyone find out what the issue was?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Compressor surge.

Numerous threads on here.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

dont you think thats jumping to conclusions? Why would there be compressor surge only in 4-5 when 1-3 are just fine.

I took a look at numerous compressor surge threads and the conditions/symptoms are not the same as this: WOT in 4th and 5th approaching 20psi and then after a flutter for a second continues as normal climbing to 24psi.

I brought it up to my tuner and he said it was normal: the 3 port was releasing air back into the system under heavy load....I want to believe him, but I would rather have a few more opinions on the matter because I dont want to lay on it if it is in fact compressor surge.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 06:32 PM

I am having the same problem. When I am in low gear it's ok but when I am driving on the highway on 5th gear around 3200rpm my car starts to buckle. In full throttle it's fine but this occurs when I gently press the gas. It's been bothering me too. Some guys said it's oscillation but did not explain what it is... anyone please have any idea how to make this stop?