Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

60k Maintenance Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60k Maintenance Nightmare

Hey all,

I have already read the sticky about the 9's having the problem with the sound coming from somewhere on the pully side. I just put on the 60k kit from Mitsu.net (water pump, pullies, tensioners, and timing belt); also I got the gates upgraded belts and tensioners. Afterwards, the noise started to happen. Only after putting on the timing belts, etc did it start making the noise. No noise heard prior. Also, the belts we took off did not look to be in bad shape at all.

We put the car back up and narrowed it down to the oil pump/balance shaft gear? I put the question mark there because it is the bottom right gear that the timing belt is wrapped around.

Now I am a little scared that my engine is going to cease and then have to put out $$$ to fix it. Anyone else have this problem? Need quick replies because if I need to do some work to fix it, then I would like to know now before it gets too expensive to fix. Thanks for the hlep.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

What kind of noise? Who did the work?

Your oil pump might be 180 degrees out of phase if its a vibration buzzing sound...
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binh
What kind of noise? Who did the work?

Your oil pump might be 180 degrees out of phase if its a vibration buzzing sound...

A local evo wrencher did the work. He aligned everything TDC. I am the 3rd owner of the car with no connection to the previous owners. Could there have been engine work like pistons, etc and they just didn't align it correctly when they put the timing belt on. The parts we replaced did not look like they had 60k on them. They barely looked like they had 30k on them.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

What kind of noise is it?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

It is very similar to the noise found in the sticky with the IX's. I will try and get a vid uploaded later. But if you watch that it sounds like that. When the timing and accessory belt was off we were rotating the gear and it had kind of a ticking sound when you turn by hand.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I thought the noise was from the belt hitting the crank sensor. And, you say, that is the area from where you think the sound is coming from. So, check for rubbing there.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Oil pump is most likely shot. The gear most likely has slop now that it has a fresh timing set. The weakest point has now been transfered from the tensioner to the oil pump.

When I installed cams on that car the tensioner was getting weak, I didn't like it then so I'm happy to hear that is all good and rectified.

On another note, there is no doubt in my mind that engine has been gone through. You might even have a built bottom end from what a big name CO tuner said to the previous owner.

I trust in the work done by your wrench, he has never done anybody wrong. He helped me through my timing at 35k LOL. My car runs stronger than ever. I believe you need to invest in an oil pump.

Good Luck
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah. Unfortunatly, it does sound like it's possibly the oil pump. From what i'm understanding, by your description. Take a pic of the area/pulley/gear that the noise is coming from. If it's the far bottom right of the front case, it's the oil pump gearset.