Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I *think* it's the TC death whine, but want to be sure before replacing it.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I *think* it's the TC death whine, but want to be sure before replacing it.

Ok. I have a 2006 IX MR with about 6k miles on it. However, it has been in an accident before, so it's possible that something was damamged. After the car was fixed, it drove for around 2000 miles without any TC noises.

NOW, kind of suddenly, I am getting a whining that sounds very much like all of the videos out there of TC death whine. Pitch goes up as speed goes up, regardless of gear, etc.

HOWEVER- If I coast, either by pushing in the clutch, or just letting off the gas while in gear, the noise completely goes away. From what I have read, usually the TC will stay noisy even when coasting.

I changed the TC and rear dif fluid and the sound remains. There were not a lot of shavings on either plug.

I've accepted the fact that I probably need to change the TC out, but want to make darn sure that's the problem before I do...

Also, is there anything that could cause that failure that I should check before installing a new one? Seems odd for a 6k mile box to go, although I do not know how the car was treated before the wreck. Would an axle alignment issue maybe cause it to prematurely wear?

Thanks for any advice.
Robb
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Having the same problem and was about to post this as well, noise increases with speed, and goes away with the clutch pushed in. 45k miles on mine though. I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow, I'll let you know if they say it's death-whine or not.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

I've been chatting with Shep a little, his feeling is that it is death whine. Let me know what you find out as well....
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

I head my death whine under coasting even at 10 mph it's prob. engine related you say pitch goes up as speed goes up, engine speed or mph?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a similar issue. I thought it was my TC and after further investigation I am pretty sure its my Throw out Bearing making noise. I get a whine and as soon as i push in the clutch no noise. I also get a bit of noise at idle. I pulled the inspection plug and looked and I see the TOB rattling around so I am chalking it up to that..
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rgonyer
Ok. I have a 2006 IX MR with about 6k miles on it. However, it has been in an accident before, so it's possible that something was damamged. After the car was fixed, it drove for around 2000 miles without any TC noises.

NOW, kind of suddenly, I am getting a whining that sounds very much like all of the videos out there of TC death whine. Pitch goes up as speed goes up, regardless of gear, etc.

HOWEVER- If I coast, either by pushing in the clutch, or just letting off the gas while in gear, the noise completely goes away. From what I have read, usually the TC will stay noisy even when coasting.

I changed the TC and rear dif fluid and the sound remains. There were not a lot of shavings on either plug.

I've accepted the fact that I probably need to change the TC out, but want to make darn sure that's the problem before I do...

Also, is there anything that could cause that failure that I should check before installing a new one? Seems odd for a 6k mile box to go, although I do not know how the car was treated before the wreck. Would an axle alignment issue maybe cause it to prematurely wear?

Thanks for any advice.
Robb
Those all sound like symptoms of the TC whine. In the beginning the noise will go away if you step on the clutch or in neutral but eventually it will be on full time. If you can post a clip we can be more certain.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds just like the other clips online, except that it disappears when I step on the clutch. Fairly certain now that is the problem. Either way, I found a used TC that is going to Shep for a stage 2 or stage 3 upgrade.... hopefully the sound will be gone once I put that in!