Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch pedal adjustment help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal adjustment help

I've been adjusting my clutch pedal based on the info in the pedal adjustment thread because I've been trying to get my stock clutch engagement closer to the floor. Over the last week I have adjusted it nearly a dozen times trying to get it 'just right' to no avail. Within the last two days my adjustments have not got me any closer to where I want to be, and I have even backtracked and lengthened the pedal somewhat, however, it is now difficult to start. Am I missing something, or am I just going to have to get over it an live with a clutch that engages somewhere in the middle to top of the pedal (which I hate). My car is a IX MR if that matters. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:49 AM

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes.

typically the clutches engage high and this is normal- it does on my car which is stock and I bought new. You can lower the pedal but I really don't think it changes the actual engagement much, if any, because it's a hydraulic system. You'll get used to it. The problem I have is I have three manual trans vehicles and the engagements are all very different. One engages an inch off the floor, which I hate, and another probably 6 inches- makes for a difficult transition when switching up.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Lucky... my engagement varies depending on how long the car sits, and yes I did remove the pill lol.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

installing a stainless line will help the engagment point be less vague.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:38 PM

so basically there is no way for me to move the engagement closer to the floor? i figured out that the issue with starting was due to the switch bracket being bent slightly and not properly aligning with the bump stop on the pedal. ive been driving the car for three years and have never touched the pedal adjustment before but im sick of the way the clutch engages, it makes the whole thing feel like a slug. any other options? will a ss line make that big of a difference?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

the SS line is not going to make a difference for the engagement height- but stainless braid is sexy. I don't know how the ACT clutches engage on an Evo, but on a DSM they will engage right off the floor; it's in the pressure plate design. So maybe you need an ACT clutch LOL.

I'm with you where I don't really like it but you'll kinda get used to it. If it helps, I think my Tacoma engages even higher than my Evo.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 04:49 PM

gotcha.

just as an update, i did a little more fine tuning today and think its a little more bearable now. there seemed to be a lot of play in the top of the pedal before the clutch travel even started. still not my ideal engagement location, but bearable now. like i said, it just felt like such a slug before i didnt even enjoy driving it.