Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Critique my build!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Critique my build!

I have had my evo almost a year and it currently has an AEM intake, greddy 3" cat back exhaust, and a megan down pipe and tein springs. My battery has also been relocated to the trunk. I have been preparing since January for my build and here is what I have sitting around or have ordered so far...

Buschur 3.8" Race FMIC and licp, Megan o2, FP Red 84mm with the high boost actuator, FP 4" intake, and a head with the bowls ported by TTR GSC beehive springs with chro-moly retainers, ARP head studs and rod bolts.

I plan on running my car initially on dual maps for e85 and 91 oct.

Parts I plan on purchasing in the near future are the following:

Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Injectors (not sure which ones)
Evo 9 bov. (how much boost is this good up too if it is crushed)
Exedy twin disc clutch.
Kelford 272's (maybe)

Should I go with a GM 3 port boost solenoid or a standard MBC? I plan on having it tuned with the stock ecu.

Some notes to consider are that I live in California, where the cops love to prey on imports. I have been pulled over 3 times since I have owned the car and none of them were for speeding or crazy driving. I do plan on taking my wing off soon. Basically my budget is if it is worth getting, then I will do it, but my goal is to have my setup installed and done ASAP. My goal is to have an 11-11.5 second car on street tires and e85.

Sorry if this post is pretty noob, I still consider myself new to the evo scene. Also I know there are lots of builds out there and I have searched and looked them over but I am not sure what else to do in regards to mine and my budget.

Please critique my build!

Last edited by Insanity Evo; Apr 9, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard great reviews about ecu controlled boost with a gm 3 port...I am actually thinking about ditching the HKS EVC-S I just bought and going this route. The only thing with the ecu controlled boost is you can't just raise or lower it as you see fit. Other than that, sounds like a solid build. How much HP do you plan on putting down? You might be at the upper limit for the stock bottom end.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JFuego777
I have heard great reviews about ecu controlled boost with a gm 3 port...I am actually thinking about ditching the HKS EVC-S I just bought and going this route. The only thing with the ecu controlled boost is you can't just raise or lower it as you see fit. Other than that, sounds like a solid build. How much HP do you plan on putting down? You might be at the upper limit for the stock bottom end.
Upper limit is good to hear lol. I'm hoping for at least 400/400 whp/tq on a mustang dyno. The car is also my daily driver so I'm not looking to break any records.

Anyone know if it is worth it to get the red hotside ported?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

You should be safe with those numbers...I heard 450 is max with stock rods and pistons. Not sure about the turbo...I'm still rocking my stock 9 setup. I plan to upgrade the compressor to a 20g eventually though.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet, does anyone know if having a test pipe without an o2 sensor make the CEL light go on?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yes it does...you can buy a spacer for the o2 sensor that takes it out of the exhaust stream and fools the ecm. I believe you can just get a cheap spark plug anti-fouler and drill it out to accomodate the o2 sensor...would take maybe 5 mins of your time. This is a write up on how to do it on another forum: http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...n-foulers.html I would recommend drilling out just until the sensor fits and leaving the hole in the end as small as possible.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have the fouler cel on my website but your forgetting your in CALI you need a CAT period first time you get pulled over and they smell your exhaust the pipe going in and your getting a ref ticket.

Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Injectors (1000cc injectors min)
Evo 9 bov. (Pass on this and get a APS twin vent bov)
Exedy twin disc clutch. good choice
Kelford 272's (maybe) good choice

answers in bold hommie. Im surprised you dont get the 64mm red for the ultimate sleeper turbo
Old Apr 9, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Those mods are good for 500 on E85, or close to it. Also it's around 400lb/ft of torque where the rods start letting go, as I've heard anyway.

Don't waste your time with anti-fowlers, just have the subroutines related to your rear o2 sensor removed when you get the car tuned. No CEL from the sensor ever again :-)
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Those mods are good for 500 on E85, or close to it. Also it's around 400lb/ft of torque where the rods start letting go, as I've heard anyway.

Don't waste your time with anti-fowlers, just have the subroutines related to your rear o2 sensor removed when you get the car tuned. No CEL from the sensor ever again :-)
Do they remove it electronically or what? Because in 3 years I will need to have the car smogged/install the cat back on.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
i have the fouler cel on my website but your forgetting your in CALI you need a CAT period first time you get pulled over and they smell your exhaust the pipe going in and your getting a ref ticket.

Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Injectors (1000cc injectors min)
Evo 9 bov. (Pass on this and get a APS twin vent bov)
Exedy twin disc clutch. good choice
Kelford 272's (maybe) good choice

answers in bold hommie. Im surprised you dont get the 64mm red for the ultimate sleeper turbo
Dude, I've been feeling like you with all the parts I'm getting/saved up...I don't know how you haven't had them installed yet!

Also I will just have the heat shield cover the turbo and it also doesn't have the FP plate badge on it, so I should be good there.

As for injectors, I think I read good things about the FIC 1250s? And why do you say APS bov? Do you happen to know what psi a crushed 9 bov will hold until it starts leaking?

Is the smell from a non-cat exhaust really that noticeable? My car is also low enough to where the cops have trouble looking underneath.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Insanity Evo; Apr 9, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN

Right, it is the rod bolts that usually break right? I am getting ARP rod bolts installed also to help with this. And 500 on what kind of dyno? I will be getting tuned on a mustang dyno.