Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV/DV Flutter issue made better

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOV/DV Flutter issue made better

I started to notice a very little smell of burnt oil inside after a bit of back road red line shifting, and then coasting down in gear on my 53k mile IX MR.

I also was experiencing some annoying DV flutter at part throttle when backing off the pedal in city traffic. I have a Forge MBC and Injen intake as well as the usual exhaust and dyno tune. The car is not beat but I do like to gas it occasionally (hah!).

I found that the puff of burned oil smell was getting more noticable. The engine never used any oil between changes. I figuerd I would check to see if any blow-by could be seen or felt after the engine was hot. Maybe the PCV was clogged or something. I loosened the oil cap while idling and found something I never saw ever before. It was literally sucked on hard to the valve cover and sucked air in for almost 3 or so seconds after I lifted it off. I mean here was quite a bit of vacuum inside of the crankcase.

I almost immediately found that the breather hose that ran from the valve cover to the intake pipe was collapsed where it made a gentle bend around the upper radiator hose. So I replaced the hose with some FI hose.

There's no more vacuum in the crankcase and I immediately noticed that the irritating DV flutter was not happening like before (though it's there a very little bit on the transition from power to steady speed on light acceleration). The puff of oil smoke smell is completely gone too when I lift the pedal after after a good run!

I searched he community and didnt find anything that related to this. Maybe it will help someone.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:31 PM

I experienced the same thing this weekend. I have the HKS BOV, i thought maybe that was the main reason for my fluttering when i let off the throttle. My friend following me noticed a oil smell as well when I let off. So i will look around and hope for the best
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:50 PM

An alarming thing too was when I let off the clutch without giving any gas, like going through a drive through and the RPM's dropped a bit below idle, the oil pressure light would flicker.

I guess the crankcase vacuum was sucking the idle oil pressure low enough to trip the light. That's all gone now. I can almost stall the engine without the light coming on. My butt dyno tells me there's a bunch more power too!