Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Issues: HORRIBLE Grinding/Rattle under load, clutch smell + Can't shift fast

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Clutch Issues: HORRIBLE Grinding/Rattle under load, clutch smell + Can't shift fast

Ok guys, so here is the issue.

The car ran perfect when I bought it, the only issue I had was it would NOT let you shift fast, I thought it was just me, until I drove another evo, something is definitely up (and before the learn to drive jokes start, I've owned a ton of performance cars and have a ton of track/auto x experience) If you try to shift fast like I have in every one of my other cars, you will miss the gear, you have to hold the clutch in until it decides to let you in gear (2+ seconds)

The first sign of trouble was the shifting, shortly after, I decided to test out launch control, the car takes one bounce off of the 2step and slightly moves forward and goes above the 2step. I am suddenly hit with the ever so familiar smell of clutch. Keep in mind the clutch was FULLY depressed and I never even began to let off. I even made sure to move the floor mat out of the way, tried a couple more times, just going on the 2step not launching, 2 times it worked, 3rd time same issue.

Next issue, the car CONSTANTLY smells like clutch.

Now, the horrible rattling/grinding. I can not describe how this sounds other than to say it sounds like an exhaust heatshield rattle coming through a subwoofer, MUCH louder and deeper, it happens between 2k and 3k in all gears, and sometimes at 4k plus, it only happens under load, not when the car is stopped or under decel. So it is very hard to guess where it is coming from

I'm running a basic shep rebuild on a exedy stage 1 clutch w/ new stock flywheel. Parts have been on the car for 10k and were fine up until this point.

This started after I put on a test pipe and mini battery, however I have quadruple checked these things and there is no way either of them are causing the issue.

The sound is coming from the engine bay and it can be felt through the floor.

I'm thinking about doing shifter bushings and some LW shockproof but it seems that this would cure something more along the lines of "ehh shifter seems kind of notchy, maybe I'll change the bushings and fluid" not what I am experiencing.

I do have the couple mm's of freeplay at the top of the clutch pedal like I should, but the catch point is very very very high. I am going to re adjust the clutch as I''m sure it's not disengaging all the way, but it doesn't explain the grinding/rattling which is making the car litteraly undriveable

Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!
Lee
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grinding rattling?

Is your downpipe hitting your oil pan? Maybe when you put the test pipe in it tweaked the exhaust just enough to cause that to happen?

Just throwing an idea out there.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could also try adjusting the clutch since on normal driving your clutch shouldn't be smelling. also with the 2-step it seems like the clutch was not fully pressed in causing it to slip a little causing it to move forward and going out of the 2-step. Also try bleeding the clutch. when doing this make sure your fluids is in full.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:38 PM

Checked the downpipe and test pipe multiple times and that isn't it.

I will try bleeding the clutch but it was 100% depressed, like I said, I even moved the floor mat to make sure.

I will deffinitely be adjusting the clutch
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so you just threw away the 2jz project?

call shep, ask him and not the keyboard warriors
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:49 PM

I still have the rx7 shell and a running supra, I just picked u the evo to DD.

I'll call shep if I can't figure it out but I don't think it's internal so theres not going to be much they could do IMO
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

did you try adjusting yet?? The sound your describing sounds the the throwout bearing, I have an aftermarket clutch and it makes noise often. I thought it was my heat shields until I took them all off and also realized the noise goes away as soon as I start pressing the pedal and it only makes noise when I'm off the gas
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:00 AM

I really really doubt this is the TOB, I know what it sounds like from my previous cars, my supra's is obnoxiously loud. Plus this just started, it didn't start when a clutch was newly installed