Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

installed maperrformance o2 dump tube....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed maperrformance o2 dump tube....

just installed it and it really makes my car spool up faster and smoother...it feels like the horsepower jump that i made from installing cams.....performance wise it's awesome......unfortunately... upon startup and and lower rpm driving there is a gurgling sound/exhaust leak sound coming from the pipe....i was under the assumption that it only opens when the waste gate sees full boost....is anyone else getting this?.....or is my waste gate leaking or maybe the dump valve on the turbo not sealing properly?....if so, then shouldn't my car be faster because i've been bleeding boost this whole time.....this pipe really sounds like crap and it's kind of embarassing esp. with summer time coming up....debating to remove it .......it's that bad....the car sounds untuned...but on the brighter note.....it feels like i freed up some power....ohhhhhh what to do?????
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you reuse the OEM gasket between the o2 housing and turbine housing or did you use the one provided from MAP?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:57 AM

i used the new one.....but it's not leaking from there....it's coming out of the actual dump tube........as if the butterfly valve is open....on full throttle when the waste gate opens, it's fine and it sounds awesome....it's just when i crawl through traffic or at a light, it sounds like i have a rusted out exhaust

Last edited by silver fly; Apr 20, 2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:04 AM

does the stock turbo tend to leak boost at that valve?.....if so than how many of us stock turbo users are not at their full boost potential?......if i installed a reg. o2 housing, i would have never known and maybe that's why we have boost creep and fluttering.....due to the turbulence created
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

The reason I asked about gaskets is b/c the stock gasket doesn't seal between the two chambers. All internal wastegates don't seal 100% perfectly, but don't leak to the extent you're reporting. You should check the tension on your WGA arm and make sure its holding the WG flapper fully shut; it may need some adjustment.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:12 AM

thanks bro...but how do i adjust that?......i tried wiggling it by hand, no dice
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Near where the WGA arm meets the WG flapper you'll see a small nut to loosen. With that loose and the arm removed from the pin you'll be able to thread it in or out to tighten/loosen.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:42 AM

okay i will try that....thanks
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Near where the WGA arm meets the WG flapper you'll see a small nut to loosen. With that loose and the arm removed from the pin you'll be able to thread it in or out to tighten/loosen.

This is probably ur problem...I had to tighten the wastegate arm twice when I put the dump on my stock Turbo & actually had to adjust it 3 times once I got my Fp red setup together...no leaks now...
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have the same exact issue, i adjusted the nut as far as it would go and it still leaks out the dump tube at idle, i pushed on it when the car was at idle and i could get it to shut completely then
doesnt seem to be enough pressure on it to keep it closed at idle
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prob your flapper. If you tighten the turnbuckle all the way down and it is still not sealing then you will have to take the WG off and trim a .25" off the threads on the arm and put it back on so it adds more preload. I had to do this to mine.

Mikey
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sell it to me
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOMIZ
sell it to me
Buy something BETTER!

Mikey
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:57 AM

that's what i ended up doing.....what a ***** to get to the bolts on the wastegate bracket....had my son's little arm turn the bolts after i cracked them loose.......i ended up dremeling the tip of the arm....after all that my son couldn't thread them back in so i took off the inner fan and had him retry it.....it worked....kids are good for some things.....lol.....now for my 2nd evalutation...feels like i am boosting more in the lower rpm's now and spool up is wicked fast....i must have been leaking boost all this time....i recommend doing this with the radiator out all at the same time.....but unfortunately i wouldn't have known about the boost leak if it wasn't for the dump
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Good to see you got it working right! Not many people think of shorting the WG arm but I have had to twice on two different housings

Mikey

Quick Reply: installed maperrformance o2 dump tube....