Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Advice Needed: Engine Removal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Advice Needed: Engine Removal

I just need a bit of advice on how to remove my IX motor. I tired searching but didn’t come up with much….i’m probly just not using the right key words…..Anyway I’m looking for any links that might help me out, also a good PDF service manual would be great, the one I found isn’t complete.

Things I’d like to know:
Are there any special tools needed?
Is it easier to take it out from the bottom or the top?
Any tips, tricks, or advice?

Thanks Gents
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ever pull a motor? also you working with a lift or on jackstands? I think its easier to pull from the top.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done it both ways. I am working in my garage on some massive jack stands and i prefer to take it out the bottom. Once you have everything disconnected I remove the transfer case from the car, and lower the engine onto one of those carts you can put under a tire. Harbor freight sells them. Its really not bad, don't forget to disconnect the EVAP line and ACD line.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I'd prefer to drop it from the bottom. I'm more familier with doing it on MR2's, never done it on the Evo yet....which is why i'm asking.....has there been any DIY threads that cover any tips on engine removal?

All i ever needed for the MR2 was basic hand tools, impact gun ...etc to remove the motor.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Airtools make it easier but not needed. Its really in the prep work in my opinion Take your time and bag and tag everything as you remove it. Take pictures so you can remember where the stuff goes back on. Never took it out from the bottom so Not sure how that goes. Have pulled one out with a cherry picker. this will get you started with some of the work.. I will see what else i find...
http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=27
Old Apr 21, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks ^^ its a good start
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

So anyone else have any other threads they can refer me to?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im working in my driveway with jack stands and an engine hoist, had no problem pulling it out the top; i didnt want to remove the subframe, etc.
use the evomoto quide for removing the tranny and transfer case... after that its easy.

when i put it back on i attached the tranny before hand and saved alot of headaches of trying to line it up while laying on my back under the car; as long as you can adjust the angle of the motor while lowering it this was no problem. next time i go to pull it out im leaving the tranny on as well, if it went in fine it should come out fine.

Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to most likely pull my motor when installing the cams, timing belt, valve springs and retainers. It's easier than dropping the tranny IMO. Just take the T-Case off and pull it out.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr.almeida
I'm going to most likely pull my motor when installing the cams, timing belt, valve springs and retainers. It's easier than dropping the tranny IMO. Just take the T-Case off and pull it out.
Pull the motor to do all the above? ^ Absolutely no need.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet thanks for the pic's. Ya that Evomoto guide looks pretty good.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

i go from the top. if you remove anything that would get in the way, you can get the engine,tranny, and transfer as a whole. good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:09 AM

Its easy to do. Coming from doing Honda swaps all day, and now we're doing a lot more mitsu I've learned quite a few things. The clips are going to be a PITA sometimes especially when you're putting everything back together. The metal clip has to come out of the plug first before you remove it, and make sure you dont lose it! I found it much easier when we took out the radiator. Just pay close attention to where everything goes and it will be cake. We also dropped the subframe that way we dropped the motor out with the transfer case.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Easiest thing is pull motor and tranny out the top. You just got to tilt it down to get it to clear everything.

No special tools really, just a cherry picker. Make sure everything is disconnected and yank her out.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Easiest thing is pull motor and tranny out the top. You just got to tilt it down to get it to clear everything.

No special tools really, just a cherry picker. Make sure everything is disconnected and yank her out.
Thats why I do it from the bottom. When you come in from the top the engine/tranny together are wider than the frame rails so you have to shoehorn it. If you are not using an engine leveling bar this difficult and makes it easy to dent up and scratch up your engine bay.

From the bottom you just get the car up pretty high in the air(truck jack stands work well for this) and use a hoist to lower the engine onto the cart. And to put it back in its as simple as lower the car overtop of the engine then picking it up the last couple inches into the mounts.

Also when coming out from the top you need to remove the hood and its very hard to not to knick up the wiper cowl plastic with the motor mount on the rear of the tranny. When I look at used Evo's the wiper cowl is something I look at, when you take it out the bottom it makes it hard to tell that you ever even removed it.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: Engine Removal