Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help me find my needle in the haystack.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wat are the gap on your plugs? My car out of nowhere started freaking out and had to lower my gap a lil bit, i ran the same gap for years then all of sudden now it has to be lower to run right. That could be something to look into. But the boost leak test is a must also. Once u make it, u should boost leak test at least twice a month, u'de be surprised at how often air leaks out from random places.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Had the same issue, try having your injectors serviced.
*edit* a similar issue *edit*

Last edited by vicksen; Apr 22, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CidE
Ok I looked up how to build a leak tester, I'll do it this weekend and see what I find.
You'll more than likely find that it was well worth the effort. Visual checks are inadequate, and what you describe sounds like a textbook case of what happens when there is a pressure leak.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:43 PM

Also check for leaks between maf, turbo and diverter valve
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm definitely doing the leak check tomorrow. I have a feeling I'm probably going to see results. It started doing it when I had the same intake I had on it for years so It's not a difference in air volume, but if this leak test doesn't yield results I think I'm going to see about swapping my MAF with someone to check that. It's clean, but that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with it I suppose.

I'll post back tomorrow and let you guys know what I find!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

It is a boost leak, nothing else. Stop looking for other solutions to the obvious problem.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by rgeier11
It is a boost leak, nothing else. Stop looking for other solutions to the obvious problem.
In the process of leak testing now. It's looking like I have a major leak somewhere. The system will only hold 4 psi off the compressor and it bleeds out the pressure as soon as I stop filling. I've checked the piping and intercooler, it doesn't seem to be coming from there. Maybe the intake manifold?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should hear, or feel where it's coming out of. if it's that big. listen carefully for it. You will find it.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Spray bottle, soapy water, be thorough, use patience.

Read this completely:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-how-why.html
Old Apr 24, 2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ted B
Spray bottle, soapy water, be thorough, use patience.

Read this completely:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-how-why.html
One quick question, something that wasn't very clear in the write ups or maybe I'm not getting it. If there are no leaks should the system hold at say 20psi with out keeping a steady air flow coming in? or will it always bleed out somewhere like the idle control valve or something like that?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

The system must be troubleshooted with the pressure being constantly applied. A small amount of air will leak through the IAC, and out of open engine valves, so shutting off the pressure will bleed the system fairly rapidly. With the air being constantly applied, use the soapy water around all joints and look at all taps to determine if air is leaking somewhere else. Also, rotate the TB as indicated in my writeup. And last but not least, check the EGR system connections, which is a problematic area.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 04:42 PM

The system must be troubleshooted with the pressure being constantly applied. A small amount of air will leak through the IAC, and out of open engine valves, so shutting off the pressure will bleed the system fairly rapidly. With the air being constantly applied, use the soapy water around all joints and look at all taps to determine if air is leaking somewhere else. Also, rotate the TB as indicated in my writeup. And last but not least, check the EGR system connections, which is a problematic area.
Found the leak, fixed it, car is running normal. AWESOOOMMMEE.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 04:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, where was it? Be sure it wasn't the only one!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:09 PM

Well, where was it? Be sure it wasn't the only one!
There's a nipple that comes off the backside of the turbo by the waste gate and it was leaking there. I was all dried out and cracking. I searched high and low for other leaks and found none.

However, today the check engine came on throwing a P0401 EGR flow insufficient. Anything special I need to know for this one? I'm not sure what the deal is but I'll do some internet detective work while I wait for some advice.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Check that the EGR is connected. That is a very common spot for a blown connection and a big boost leak.

Quick Reply: Help me find my needle in the haystack.