Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

i want a 6spd dammit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want a 6spd dammit

i want a 6 spd.. its just not fair! i really think our evo's here in the US have a disadvantage with the 5 spd.

maybe some would disagree with me.. i dunno but here's my question..

arent the evo's in the uk and japan almost exactly -if not exactly- the same as ours? what would be involved with getting their 6spd tranny and putting it into mine?? could it be as simple as it sounds? or is it a much more difficult task.. im guessing the latter of the two choices...

also how much do you think it would cost?
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

why do you want a six speed?

I raced an SVT cobra last night and he shouldve killed my *** but he just kept falling back when he shifted.

I love the five speed
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:25 PM

Yes I would love to know as well. I'd imagine it should be rather easy but then again ACD and such, not sure how that interfaces with the tranny. That could be your problem but then again do some research on it and see what it requires.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Im happy with my EVO dammit.And the 6 speeds overseas have recalls in effect from what I have heard.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

please let us know why you would want the 6spd. imho, the only advantage to a 6spd would be on the highway for crusing. the evo 5spd is a perfect match for the engine as far as gear ratio and power band goes and i am really happy with it.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 02:07 PM
In Timeout

People don't understand there is NO advantage in performance with a 6-speed transmission. If you want to get a 6-Speed with performance gearing, all your going to do is shift. Which will only benefit you if your doing a road course. Drag cars are typically 3-4speed transmissions for a reason. It would make sense to have a overdrive 6th gear, like a corvette. But that does nothing for performance except make the car slow in 6th gear.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

i want the 6spd cuz i thought the 6spd would be better for top end acceleration....

and the same evo 8 in japan is just as fast as us downlow, if not faster.. i know because they dont have as strict of emissions and all, but certainly the 6spd doesnt slow it down any.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

The 6-speed tranny will bolt on to the us Evo, but i don't know why anyone would go through that expense & effort to fit it... as the benefit is not that great.

Also in addition you will need the gear shift knob, reverse gear selection assembly & linkages. (To select the Reverse you need to lift a circular selector knob located below the gear shift palm rest, and then select R)

Last edited by jemm; Nov 9, 2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

1/4 mile, 6 and 5 speed are identical...5th is lower though and 6th is overdrive.

It is a good gearbox, especially for a track monster, for which I want to build. If you are a 1/4 mile puke, then it really doesn't matter.

And to answer your question, it is not a bolt on mod, as the 6 spd is equiped with the SAYC...which means big bucks in a transplant...
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BADWRX
And to answer your question, it is not a bolt on mod, as the 6 spd is equiped with the SAYC...which means big bucks in a transplant...

So let me get this straight?! the transmission is dependent on the E8's rear diff (Super Active Yaw Control)? The Active center differential is located in the transfer box, separate from the tranny.

Please get your information straight prior to posting.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

so if the 6spd isnt much different from the 5 spd down low, the mod is good then.. cuz you would have the same( just about) downlow and the added gearing for up top.

unless im misreading your posts, it sounds like a great mod

is it really expensive then??

wouldnt the shifter come with the transmission??
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JaReDbOy

is it really expensive then??

wouldnt the shifter come with the transmission??

1. No idea of the new price, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=10400
Not to mention the cost of shipping!!

2. Not if it comes from Mitsu directly, they assume the car has those already, if you buy it from a wreck in Japan or the UK, then you could get whatever you want.

There is a dude in Ja that is fitting a 6 speed to his Evo6, but he also needed new axles etc as the chassis is way different. That was a while back, i have not heard from him in months...

Last edited by jemm; Nov 9, 2003 at 05:00 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

his evo 6?

but what about an evo 8 to evo 8.. it shouldnt be too mcuh diff right?
Old Nov 9, 2003, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

The rear diff in the jdm evo is different from the us version , from what i understand is that there is hydralic packs in diff to control slip which is registered by the ecu to control traction. The ayc and acd units take up some space as well. The whole unit is not only contained in the tranny and transfer case. But this is what i read from another forum with the same questions ,I cannot remember where. It is not a simple bolt up.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Jesus H Christ! what does the rear AYC diff have to do with the 6 speed tranny?

THe (s)AYC and ACD are hydraulically linked and controlled by the same ECU & pump assembly... This system is INDEPENDENT of the gearbox. It is not contained in the transmission at all. What you need to find out is whether or not the 6speed will bolt onto your US transfer case with the viscous unit.

p.s. Are you folks aware that not all jdm/uk Evo 8's come with the 6 speed? Most RS versions come with the same W5m51 tranny that you have.. mated to the Transfer case containing the ACD. There is a dude down here that blew his 7's (same ct9a chassis as the 8) ACD and replaced it with a viscous unit that is said to come from the states.

Last edited by jemm; Nov 9, 2003 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: i want a 6spd dammit