Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

600whp, best clutch and longevity?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600whp, best clutch and longevity?

I researched this subject to long and hard. I have been neglecting homework because there is TOO much info on clutches. I am going to be pushing 600 whp on my 2003 Evo and just want the best clutch with longevity in mind. I will be daily driving this car but you know what, I'm a man and can live with a tough clutch. I have read a lot about twin disks lasting 10k miles so anyone who has a suggestion for something longer that would be great. If someone posts anything about single disks I will simply puke as I read your post so please don't even suggest it. Alot of posters simply state the brand of twin or triple disk they use, please be as detailed as possible so I can look up the clutch and cost and compare from there. Thanks all who post and if anyone has something like this for sale pm me please.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You want to choose a clutch based on how much torque youre making, not hp.

From what Ive seen thru a lot of reading, your options are QM twin disc and the downside is, like you mentioned, they last about 10,000 - 12,000 miles. The QM from what Ive read is an extremely b*tchy clutch that does not like normal traffic driving conditions, (stop and go hiway traffic) and is a pain to get moving at very low speed. like if you try moving from a stop under 2000 rpm, it wont happen smoothly. Normal driving also tends to wear the discs out extremely fast because in order to move from a stop smoothly, the clutch must be slipped, and in this cltuches case, overslipped to the point that the discs wear prematurely.

The Exedy Triple SR holds around 670 lb/ft at the crank (figure around 580 at the wheels). The one thing Ive been trying to figure out is how long the triple discs generally last before needing a rebuild. I assume it would be 20,000+, hopefully more around 30,000 or so. The triple is a much more street friendly clutch yet can still handle high power.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
All of exedy's clutches are rated wtq on a dynojet.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:53 PM

I figured exedy triple disk was my best option because a twin seems to be right on the edge of what I'm looking to run. I have two questions pertaining to this clutch: What material to run, semi metallic or carbon? Stock pull style or convert to a push? From what I've read here carbon is more for 800 wtq or more where as with the amount of wtq I will be making the semi metallic will be just fine especially since it does not need to be "warmed up" like the carbon disks. Is it worth the cost for push conversion or is it a little over rated. I would imagine its a nice feature but it just doesn't seem necessary unless pushing alot higher power and torque, experiences with the stock pull setup would be nice to hear at the same power levels please.

Another question i just remembered, shall I get sprung disks or do they not make them for the triple disk?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:30 PM

i would convert to push. i had just put in my twin and 4 days later the clip broke and i was at only 500hp.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:49 PM

Push is what I want, but cost comes into play. If I can get a deal on the push that would be exactly what I am looking for.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the HKS twin plate can hold that kind of power ......
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
talking about cost... why go cheap and forget one thing your gonna wish you put more money into... do it right the first time
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:33 PM

Honestly I am looking for information and not someone posting just plain thought. It is obvious no one wants to do something twice but it happens when working on vehicles and to be honest, almost everyone considers cost at some point. I've read of many Evo owners who do not run a push style and have no problems with the clutch and that is why I am asking for experiences and not someone posting a cute remark like the one above about doing it right the first time. Please do not add to the length of a thread just because you have some wisdom that its obvious everyone knows and does not need to be told over and over again. Sorry for those others who have read this post and lost an extra 30 seconds in their lives because someone needs to put a stop to everyone's post that includes wisdom as opposed to what the person who started the thread is actually trying looking for and that is information.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 03:43 PM

geez man, no offesne, but how many replies do you think you're gonna get with the harsh attitude. Sorry for wasting everyones 10 seconds on this post, you coulda did a 1/4 mile instead...
Old Apr 28, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Ive seen exedy twin hd's last 40k+... my friend got 71K outta his.

I assume the triple would share SIMILAR longivity with the exedy twin, but you are talking about 250 more whp/wtq then he has. 71k outta 330/330 car is pretty damn impressive. And not ONCE did he have the clip pop off.. hell hes had the twin in his car since 06? maybe it was 05?

I think if you went with the SR providing your tq levels are under the 575ish area - you will get 20K+ out of it.

All of this is going to be mainly dependent on your driving conditions and your actual ability to drive.

I run exedy twin in pull type form - and ntls and all that jazz and it doesnt miss a beat. I do have the STM clutch fork stop installed tho..
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:32 PM

thanks for the good info about the clutch fork stop and the exedy twin info.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

The QMs should last much loner now with the revisions.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who knos when the QM will come out with there new version i couldent wait so i have a exedy tripple that being said when i was doing my research people where getting 25-35k out of there tripple before rebuilds get the hd if you have the money and you dont need to convert it just buy a stm clutch stop or turbo trix or any of the other companys good luck
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same here, the word from QM has been "a month or two" since 6 months ago, they keep pushing back the release time.

Quick Reply: 600whp, best clutch and longevity?