Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ticking sound from comming the head

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cams are sitting on some kind of a bearings right, what are they called so I can get em also since im there already
Old May 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My car makes a similar noise but I've been thinking it is broken lifters. It reads around 21 counts of knock and there is a severe power loss, which I'm guessing is due to the knock sensor going off. Basically I am not able to boost and just running off the motor.

I have checked the turbo and everything is good with it. I have also been driving around like this for around a year now.

Were you guys with the spun bearings able to drive around at all?
Old May 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by domantas
cams are sitting on some kind of a bearings right, what are they called so I can get em also since im there already
Those are your rockers. i would just soak umm in some deisel and blow them out with compressed air.

The whole issue with rebuilding is you must make sure EVERYTHING is super clean. Make sure you flush out the intake cam as oil travels through it to feed the mivec gear. You also wanna take apart the mivec, I have lost two engines to bearing failures and metal always gets trapped in there. obviously replace oil cooler. flush out the filter housing well,pay extra attention here. I would replace the oil pump personally but it can be taken apart and inspected. Keep in mind this could have been what caused your initial rod bearing failure anyway tho. good luck
Old May 29, 2010, 09:31 AM

Im not positive but a quick fix could be using BG MOA. I used to have a 95 tsi with some ticking in the head, ran some bg moa through and within a few minutes it was gone. Your issue may be more severe such as bad lifters as opposed to just a sticky valve. For 10 bucks its worth a shot
Old May 30, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

the copper you see is the rod bearing. i think you have a spun rod bearing, my car sounded just like that and it had copper shavings in the oil.

dont continue driving it if it is the rod, pull the oil pan... hopefully its not beyond repair.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

It had a spun bearing. I replaced a bearings with a pan down and it spun again after the attempt to trade that sucker in Now motor is getting a full rebuild with new pistons, rods, crank, bearings, new oil pump and all the gaskets...

I should have not purchased this evo in the first place, especially when I knew the engine was bone dry from oil (turbo was stolen, so oil lines were out) Oh well you live you learn, in my case the hard way.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

same thing i tried too, replacing with the pan out. no dice for me as well.