Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

transfer case is shot... Should I forget about doing mods w/rebuild?. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case is shot... Should I forget about doing mods w/rebuild?. Advice?

Hi all,
I've been a member of the forum for a few years but haven't posted. I really appreciate this community because there's a tremendous amount of knowledge here that you just can't find anywhere else!

Anyway,
I have an '06 IX MR and went for 76k without a single mod on my car. The car has been bulletproof to that point. About 4k miles ago, I had a Cobb intake, Megan 02 Housing, Buschur TBE w/HFC and an ACT HDSS clutch w/Streetlight flywheel installed. At the same time I had all fluids changed, timing belt, water pump, etc... I was really impressed with how it changed the car, so I decided to continue with getting mods and was just scheduled to have them installed. On the way to work the other day, cruzing down the highway the TC suddenly started whining. Just slightly at first but by the time I got to the office it was loud.

I'm real upset about my TC failing and am now questioning whether or not I should have the performance parts (that I have already purchased unfortunately) installed along with a Shep Stage 2 TC rebuild.

I'm really questioning whether or not the EVO drivetrain is reliably capable of supporting more power. Just so everyone knows, I have NEVER launched my car and do not beat it because I have known from the start that I need it to be my daily driver for a 100 mile commute every day. I'm feeling that I should forget about installing the parts after searching on how many people have gone through TC's (even multiple times). I can't imagine babying my "performance car" any more than I already do.

I'd like to know if this is something that I should expect to repeatedly happen with even more power?
Old May 1, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

I'm more concerned about 4k miles ago you had the fluids changed and now you have a broken T-Case, have you checked the fluid?? Sounds like it might have been the wrong fluid? What did you use?
Old May 1, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Berts24
I'm more concerned about 4k miles ago you had the fluids changed and now you have a broken T-Case, have you checked the fluid?? Sounds like it might have been the wrong fluid? What did you use?
what he said!!
Old May 1, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL I am sure the transfer case is strong enough. Your not pushing enough power to do that much damage to it. It must be the fluids of possibly your driving....
Old May 1, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Who changed your fluids and what did they put in it? The ACD transfer cases are too easy to underfill. See the section on filling the transfer case in the middle of this page:

http://www.teamrip.com/transfer_case...tion_info.html

I just ruined my Tcase ring and pinon at a track day and when it was removed the Tcase did not have near enough fluid in it. I had someone else change it.

The stock Tcase does have some limitations that can be easily addressed with something like the Shep stage 2 treatment. I just bought the bullet and went Stage 3 myself.
Old May 1, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the stage 2 from shepherd. its holding up great, good upgrade and yea the fluids are what killed mine. Dumbass put Royal Purple in mine and 2,000 miles later it grenaded! I only use Redling MT-90 mixed with a little Redline Shok Proof
Old May 1, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh, also forgot to mention. Since you are driving an MR six speed, your tranny will not take the HP a 5-speed will. 4th gear in particular seems to be an issue. If you keep modding and adding power you will run into this. Maybe some of the MR guys can chime in and let you know about where the troubles start on mods and powers with the six speed.
Old May 7, 2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the posts guys (and the link JDavenport).
The tuning shop I brought it said they used the Mitsubishi Diaqueen LSD gear oil. I did not check to see if the fluid was low. I'll be sure to check it once I get it back though... Thanks again.