Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How a combustion chamber takes shape at HeadGames

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Colt4g63
What was the CNC head that Dyno Flash Al put on his car and it actually lost power??
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
i thought it was a cosworth head.
I have read a lot about this as well.

Theres a vendor on here attempting to sell one now for over a year at a "discounted" price...

.... likely for a reason..
Old May 3, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
As much as people like to rely on flowbench numbers, I've seen some very interesting posts on a board where numerous Pro Stock engine builders post.

When somebody that has been winning in Pro Stock says they can change the valve job (throat to valve face ratio and valve head design included here) and it will DROP 30+ CFM but the car goes faster, it gets my attention and makes me doubt a lot of flow bench numbers.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
As much as people like to rely on flowbench numbers, I've seen some very interesting posts on a board where numerous Pro Stock engine builders post.

When somebody that has been winning in Pro Stock says they can change the valve job (throat to valve face ratio and valve head design included here) and it will DROP 30+ CFM but the car goes faster, it gets my attention and makes me doubt a lot of flow bench numbers.
Speed Talk forums?
Old May 3, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HeadGames
don't know why I didn't see this....but you must be talking about a certain head on our flow bench that we very easily made a little wicked with some HeadGames magic...

It is coming soon
Yep thats the one
Old May 3, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Just big flow #s isnt where its at when making power... there is much more to it then a big flow #. I talked with Dave about this as well and he fully understands this thats for sure. A LOT more then i do im sure of it These huge port heads with crazy high flow #s and large valves don't always work with ones combination and there is a good reason for that. But im not the one to be explaining why so if someone else wants to take the time then they can explain it much better then i could im sure.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Simple pysics as a previous poster stated. Air moving into a chamber is going to slow down to fill and take up said volume. When you're talking about the flow# it can be huge, but if you're not supplying enough air via the turbo in your car, it's going to react the opposite of a venturi. The bottom line is more air = more horsepower, but you have to be able to deliver it to the combustion chamber. The air we speak of is the air going thru the filter/MAF/turbo/intercooler/associated piping/throttlebody, intake manifold, cam duration and lift to valve size/seat volume. All of which is drag or restriction for the air pathway.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we have seen flow numbers mean less when making big hp per cubic inch as well. During our 2JZ race program, we tried a big flow number head thinking it was the best thing and the car slowed 2 tenths. It was only 15cfm better then our best. The smaller port made more power. And that is on a 1800hp engine.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

The thing that surprised me the most about the post I was talking about was that it wasn't even a change to the port. It was a change in the valve face angles, the throat diameter, and the style of valve used. Same size valve and the port was only affected to the extent that the throat diameter change had.

It would seem like gains in that area would translate to HP gains as those areas I would think would have a minimal impact on air velocity. My thought was completely wrong in comparison to what a world renown head porter had to say though.

The suggested throat to valve face ratio was up in the 0.91-0.92 area, quite a bit higher then the 0.82-0.85 ratio I have often heard about. Maybe that high of ratio is only applicable to certain conditions that see a lot of rebuilds due to the small seat contact area?
Old May 3, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

those skimmed valves look nasty (in a bad way)
i thought sharp things in the combustion chamber should be avoided
Old May 3, 2010, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Hugs and kisses everyone

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; May 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Unless you're going to give out specific information and data to back up this claim, it just seems like an ad hominem attack.
Exactly. I've seen drifto's car and have spoken with Tedb enough to know that neither of them just go and throw unproven junk at their setups. If it's good enough for those guys, It'd be good enough for anyone else on here.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

thanks erock...smooches from afar

Last edited by HeadGames; May 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Erik...I was really enjoying him staying out of the convo.
+1... Thanks again for these types of threads Dave...
Old May 3, 2010, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The smaller port made more power. And that is on a 1800hp engine.
That could very well be the case if the 1800hp 2JZ in question can't generate enough VE in its present form to utilize the larger port. We have to remember that the 1800hp is coming vastly as a result of increases in air density, while the port characteristics affect air volume. The presence of a turbo is a fudge factor that tends to obscure mechanical efficiency.

The thing that surprised me the most about the post I was talking about was that it wasn't even a change to the port. It was a change in the valve face angles, the throat diameter, and the style of valve used.
Changes in the shape of the backside of the valve, seat angles, etc., all affect the final picture, and we haven't even mentioned swirl and tumble.

We can talk about static flow data, but it's a bit like talking about camshaft lift and advertised duration while omitting things like LSA and LC. It paints things with a broad brush, but the devil lies in the details.
Old May 3, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed, my personal perspective is that I'll either limit my self to very minimal port clean up and bowl blending on the 4G63 with just a simple 3 angle valve job and the stock valves, or I'll rely on track results to select a professional to do the work. I've just seen too many flowbench numbers as a companies claim to fame when it's not that hard to make the flow bench say it should make 20% more power since it's flowing 20% more air...

Quick Reply: How a combustion chamber takes shape at HeadGames