Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Interesting.. only difference between yours and mine is the Car.. i have these on a 200 cars and i would ask even 1 customer of mine to post up that their PTE turbo died.. Im not saying it doesnt happen but i dont think i have even 1 customer on here that i have sent a turbo back for.. I know for a fact i havent had 1 customer we have installed the turbo for properly that ever had to send it for service..

Mike
sharkbait has blown up quite a few, but he isnt your customer.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodan2004
my 30r TS setup his 27psi at 3750 rpm.

mike. post up a 4088R setup on the same ''around about'' boost.

as for HTA 86 failing. or a 6262. um. it happens. every turbo will fail. phil IMO if your looking for 86HP. run the 86. it works well in TS. i see your point but your not pushing the 4088r or a 86 hard enough to hurt anything.
Dan i have NEVER used the 4088 since i have been open on 1 car.. It was OLD TECHNOLOGY 3 years ago..

Will your 30r setup make 750??? sure we can go smaller and gain spool but i like to compare 2 turbos that have about the same output..

Mike
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Mike, I feel the same way. 1.5" runners are not needed for the Evo. Full Race kits are only availible in 1.25" and they can make great power. I don't agree with some of the companies saying that you need 1.5" runners if you are going to be making over 500-600hp. Hell, the stock manifold has seen 600-700hp quite a few times and has not had a problem.

Honestly, the best thing for spool would be to just do a 1.25" runner manifold with a T3 1.06 HTA3586. That would make 700hp and have amazing spool.

Mikey
david B did a test. 1.25 runner on his dyno was ideal up till i think 650hp. after that 1.50 runner is best. 650 on his dyno is wonderful for a street car. i do beleave this test came with a little more back pressure though. ''more from the 1.25 then 1.50''
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
First off to my understanding, the STIs have more oiling problems than an EVO. You can't compare apples to oranges!

Mikey
point is i swapped to a garrett with no other changes and the turbo lived a long time. 2 precisions blew in less than 3,000 miles. even precision said i wasnt doing anything wrong.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
sharkbait has blown up quite a few, but he isnt your customer.
Everyone always uses Sharkbite as comparison.. we still dont know what was killing his turbos.. It would be a funny coincidence that I have 200 of them out there with few ever failing as i havent sent back even 1 to know for sure yet sharkbit killed 10 of them.. doesnt it seem Odd??

Mike
Old May 1, 2010, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Dan i have NEVER used the 4088 since i have been open on 1 car.. It was OLD TECHNOLOGY 3 years ago..

Will your 30r setup make 750??? sure we can go smaller and gain spool but i like to compare 2 turbos that have about the same output..

Mike
that 30r was for the guy who asked. not you and 700+hp. no it will never do that. if it did i think the compressor wheel would spin right out through the front of the car the 1st time it came close. lol i know its old tech but even again right there your comparing new stuff to old.

find a single scroll hta86 VS twin scroll hta86. with similar mods,boost,fuel
Old May 1, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 30r TS setup his 27psi at 3750 rpm.

mike. post up a 4088R setup on the same ''around about'' boost.

as for HTA 86 failing. or a 6262. um. it happens. every turbo will fail. phil IMO if your looking for 86HP. run the 86. it works well in TS. i see your point but your not pushing the 4088r or a 86 hard enough to hurt anything.
I have a ts 3076r with a full race ss manifold and it hits 30psi at 3600. It an old manifold I had. I was planning on a ts manifold but I've been reading on the quick spool valve and thought about that route. But that's a different topic. Thanks mike for doing all of the comparisons it is nice to know and see results.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

that 30r was for the guy who asked. not you and 700+hp. no it will never do that. if it did i think the compressor wheel would spin right out through the front of the car the 1st time it came close. lol i know its old tech but even again right there your comparing new stuff to old.

find a single scroll hta86 VS twin scroll hta86. with similar mods,boost,fuel
I am comparing new to old because i am reading threads about how this OLD TECH is the NEW FUNK in TS.. how good it works etc.. Im just looking for some comparisons is all and playing devils advocate..

Most everyone knows me on here.. I go for whats BEST.. if the TS setup was proven to me to BE THE BEST i would put it on my car i dont care who made it.. I could just call shearer and say " Yo make me a badass TS manifold Dawg ".. And it would be done.. I just cant find enough supporting info that it is THAT MUCH BETTER.. I see they all are dying on the top end and if the spool isnt that much better how can i lose 1000RPM on top and not gain anything in spool.. or better yet how can i lose 1000rpm on top and gain 750rpm of spool.. Still doesnt make sense..

Mike
Old May 1, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
david B did a test. 1.25 runner on his dyno was ideal up till i think 650hp. after that 1.50 runner is best. 650 on his dyno is wonderful for a street car. i do beleave this test came with a little more back pressure though. ''more from the 1.25 then 1.50''
I agree that "eventually" 1.25" runners will be to small, however 80% of the evo community will never be over 700+hp on a DJ. Therefor a 1.25" manifold is more streetable in that case.

If I was building a T4 3586 1.06 to make 800hp sure I would be using a 1.5" manifold but if you are trying to make 800hp most people are not worried about spool or streetability. The bigger the better, the higher the HP...

Mikey
Old May 1, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

I am comparing new to old because i am reading threads about how this OLD TECH is the NEW FUNK in TS.. how good it works etc.. Im just looking for some comparisons is all and playing devils advocate..

Most everyone knows me on here.. I go for whats BEST.. if the TS setup was proven to me to BE THE BEST i would put it on my car i dont care who made it.. I could just call shearer and say " Yo make me a badass TS manifold Dawg ".. And it would be done.. I just cant find enough supporting info that it is THAT MUCH BETTER.. I see they all are dying on the top end and if the spool isnt that much better how can i lose 1000RPM on top and not gain anything in spool.. or better yet how can i lose 1000rpm on top and gain 750rpm of spool.. Still doesnt make sense..

Mike
i dont see people saying they are better for drag racing, they offer better response and streetability.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Mike
Ron does make a badd *** TS manifold dawg. lol a few big guys run it too.

to each his own i guess u know.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
I have a ts 3076r with a full race ss manifold and it hits 30psi at 3600. It an old manifold I had. I was planning on a ts manifold but I've been reading on the quick spool valve and thought about that route. But that's a different topic. Thanks mike for doing all of the comparisons it is nice to know and see results.
No problem buddy.. Im not trying to toot my own horn but those who have been on here long enough know that myself like david Buschur who FAR exceeds me in testing like to ALWAYS be on top of what is BEST for our customers cars..

I was the 1st one to start testing the 6262 when NOBODY had any interest.. it was 42r, 42r, 42r or 37R.. Then WHAM we ran some 8s with it in 6 passes and eyes were opened that there is something new on the horizon.. a 62mm turbo running what 75mm turbos run.. Weird..

Well i am just trying to research this TS stuff as we get more involved in road racing and see what its all about..

Mike
Old May 1, 2010, 09:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
i dont see people saying they are better for drag racing, they offer better response and streetability.
I dont see the better response.. Drag racing aside.. I see 2 graphs identical..

Mike
Old May 1, 2010, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well i am just trying to research this TS stuff as we get more involved in road racing and see what its all about..

Mike
there you go! road racing will show it where drag racing wont.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

I dont see the better response.. Drag racing aside.. I see 2 graphs identical..

Mike
you know a dyno doesnt show driveability.

Quick Reply: Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???