Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
you know a dyno doesnt show driveability.
You do have a point sir..

I guess ill have to get ahold of a TS t3 mani and do some testing then.. maybe ill try Full race that way i dont hear " well your testing wasnt done with a FR mani so its flawed ".. well see..

Mike
Old May 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Im just looking for some comparisons is all and playing devils advocate..
Then you'll have to compare the same car with the two different setups. You'll also need to actually drive them, as I can illustrate two similar setups with similar dyno plots, but the difference behind the wheel is vivid. Why? Because the dyno doesn't plot TP changes vs. time, and that makes a difference. Of course, if one is interested in a few seconds of WOT in a straight line, it isn't really important.
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
So this is where I agree with Mike and say I am unimpressed with the twin scroll setups I have seen. Everything is a sacrifice for what you want, which direction is the powerband to the left or the right?

I can make a single scroll 35R spool fast, its called a .48 or .63 housing. Obviously it loses out the top but then you use a .82 or 1.06 and get the top end back. I dont think there is really such a thing even with the TS housings that gets you both. We definitely didnt see it on the 42R. It seems all the ones I have seen are choked like a small A/r single scroll. You might be able to fine tune the difference more and get something between a .63 and .82 but in the end you are running a 1.06+ TS housing and getting negligible increase (200 rpm) over just doing the single scroll.

Ted, we can set torque vs time of run if we want on a DJ.
Former Sponsor

Well guys i am off to Homestead for a DE Event to have some fun.. Ill get back to this discussion on monday probably.. Try not to attack me too much.. LOL

Mike
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i think each has its place. if i was into drag racing more, i would prefer single scroll. but for what im doing, a twin scroll will suit my needs better. im not looking to break records or anything, i want a fun car that isnt a chore to drive.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Ted, we can set torque vs time of run if we want on a DJ.
You'd have to do it while making dynamic changes in TP during the run.
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
So this is where I agree with Mike and say I am unimpressed with the twin scroll setups I have seen. Everything is a sacrifice for what you want, which direction is the powerband to the left or the right?

I can make a single scroll 35R spool fast, its called a .48 or .63 housing. Obviously it loses out the top but then you use a .82 or 1.06 and get the top end back. I dont think there is really such a thing even with the TS housings that gets you both. We definitely didnt see it on the 42R. It seems all the ones I have seen are choked like a small A/r single scroll. You might be able to fine tune the difference more and get something between a .63 and .82 but in the end you are running a 1.06+ TS housing and getting negligible increase (200 rpm) over just doing the single scroll.
I was thinking to myself JB was going to prove me wrong here too.. I guess your findings were about the same.. You also brought up a great point.. this turbo i show above had a .82 AR.. Imagine it in .63.. I have made over 700 with .63 6262's too so i know they dont choke much.. I believe Dynoflash did as well with Suman's car a while ago.. Thats what made me open my eyes to the .63. he did it before me.. I usually go .82 for " Street Testing " to kill the wheel spin...

Ok Im really out.. Get back to this later.. Thanks!!

Mike
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You do have a point sir..

Mike
not that i want to get to involved here but i drove the NYC bad bish. stupid fast i must say. this was when the hta82 came out. it was laggy for my taste. but now that i have TS the TS stuff is way more responsive on the street and between gear shifts or down shifts ''then WOT'' all happen much more rapidly. thats the point of TS.

as for it not holding up top. IMO there is not enough options out there to help a mid sized turbo 35r to 40r to hold up top. some companies sell a TS t3 .78 back side for a 35r. thats like a .48 in open scroll. lol stupid if you ask me. TS needs the biggest back sides available and there just is not many options out there. and the options that we have ''pte'' there castings suck. i would rather make my own out of cardboard.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya this tread blew up quick! Good stuff though!

Mikey
Old May 1, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why dont you do a conventional test...like all other test...do it in shop...same size turbo and all?
Old May 1, 2010, 09:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Ya this tread blew up quick! Good stuff though!

Mikey
Just when it got good i have to go..

Ok now i am really going.. got to be up in 5 hours..

Mike
Old May 1, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
not that i want to get to involved here but i drove the NYC bad bish. stupid fast i must say. this was when the hta82 came out. it was laggy for my taste. but now that i have TS the TS stuff is way more responsive on the street and between gear shifts or down shifts ''then WOT'' all happen much more rapidly. thats the point of TS.
+1 - unless you driven a well setup twinscroll car, it's hard to explain the drive-ability and transient response...

Originally Posted by evodan2004
as for it not holding up top. IMO there is not enough options out there to help a mid sized turbo 35r to 40r to hold up top. some companies sell a TS t3 .78 back side for a 35r. thats like a .48 in open scroll. lol stupid if you ask me. TS needs the biggest back sides available and there just is not many options out there. and the options that we have ''pte'' there castings suck. i would rather make my own out of cardboard.
Just a few more months - BW has some crazy good stuff in store for us twinscroll guys... It will not be too much longer before the TS haters are TS lovers, mark my words...

At the end of the day, to each their own...
Old May 1, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nyquil2
Why dont you do a conventional test...like all other test...do it in shop...same size turbo and all?
because a dyno doesnt show the driveability difference. i dont think anyone is saying a t/s is going to make more power.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking to myself JB was going to prove me wrong here too.. I guess your findings were about the same.. You also brought up a great point.. this turbo i show above had a .82 AR.. Imagine it in .63.. I have made over 700 with .63 6262's too so i know they dont choke much.. I believe Dynoflash did as well with Suman's car a while ago.. Thats what made me open my eyes to the .63. he did it before me.. I usually go .82 for " Street Testing " to kill the wheel spin...

Ok Im really out.. Get back to this later.. Thanks!!

Mike
Not me mang, I am on your side on this one.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
You'd have to do it while making dynamic changes in TP during the run.
Do you have a specific thought on how you want it tested? I'll have a TS car on the dyno wednesday that I can compare to my car if it gets on the dyno on monday. The TS car will be there for sure though, so I can make this happen fairly close in the test. Both are 35Rs, both are MIVEC with S2s, I am 2.4 and he is a 2.0L. I believe he has the .96 A/r TS housing.

We can post the dyno in time and the log with TPS at a given time interval. Since the RPM reference will need to be used as well we can do the graph both ways and then post the log. I think we will find the transient response at a given rpm value is going to be pretty similar from something like 40-50% TPS depending on what the starting point rpm is.

Please outline the test conditions and we'll try to follow them as closely as we can. To equalise the displacement difference I am thinking something like 4k for starting rpm?

Quick Reply: Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???