Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
I realize we would need to really compare 2 kits on the same exact car and dyno at the same time but something that is told to be Definitively better shouldnt have to split hairs to shows its excellence IMO.. Sure a couple hundred RPM here or there how can we fuss but when a SINGLE scroll turbo setup spools IDENTICAL to a TWIN SCROLL setup said to be LEAPS AND BOUNDS better one must question things.. Thats what i am doing.. Questioning things.. I recently took some interest in these TS setups as we have been actively road racing much more.. I have spoken with Shearer about small runner T3 manifolds for single scroll and how we can make them spool like TS setups and still have the big top end power..

Which brings me to this evening.. I came across a dyno sheet for a TS setup from a car which i would say wasnt a BUDGET build probably so thought i would dig thru some sheets for comparisons.. Below is a TS 4088 Turbo 2.3L setup..

Now here is a Single Scroll T3 6262 Setup on 2.3L motor..

now these appear to be near identical up to 650hp which is where we stopped with this car either due to lack of fuel or just didnt want to push the car.. As we already know the 6262 can make 750+hp..

Now doesnt this simple single scroll , 1 wastegate setup appear to have the same power band??? Not to mention is revving 8000+ and not dropping much power where as the other setup is dropping power at 7500.. We also know for a fact the single scroll HTA 82 spools even faster than 6262 so can you imagine that turbo on this setup..

Id like to see some more dyno sheets that support the TS ultra spool theory.. I know TedB has some of them I am sure.. Ill also see if i have any more 2.3L dyno sheets so we can compare further..

Mike

I think you are also forgetting the proper load of the road. The Benefits of a BB turbo Vs a JB turbo are negligible when observed on a Dyno but one drive behind the wheel of an Evo with a BB Turbo is amazing.

The best benefit I have seen over a Twin scroll vs a single is a simple comparison of a FP black to that of a 35R sized turbo, the amount of spool and torque added is unquestionable, and so are Mitsubishi's engineers who no matter how smart you are you are not going to have the years of experience that they do.

Simply expand upon a simple yet brilliant design and get that are under the curve up.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I asked Geoff and crew awhile ago but the answer I received then was that it had been pushed back. Also waiting for the larger T25 housings for our turbo quads
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not trying to question anyones professionalism here but has anyone even tried tuning the cams with a twin scroll turbocharger on?

A well tuned setup on an ss turbo could not be as well tuned anymore by just putting a ts manifold and turbo on?

I am a beleiver of ts btw, not experienced it for myself yet but the next setup is deffo gonna be a ts setup

Arthur
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by tutuur
I'm not trying to question anyones professionalism here but has anyone even tried tuning the cams with a twin scroll turbocharger on?

A well tuned setup on an ss turbo could not be as well tuned anymore by just putting a ts manifold and turbo on?

I am a beleiver of ts btw, not experienced it for myself yet but the next setup is deffo gonna be a ts setup

Arthur
Extensively.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And what where your findings if i may ask? More overlap possible?

I can't beleive people keep whining about peak numbers, i'd rather have 600 from 5000 till 8000rpm than a short spike of 700bhp... Guess who will be faster