Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's this engine sound? (NOW WITH VIDEO!)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's this engine sound? (NOW WITH VIDEO!)

http://www.vimeo.com/11406022

So if anyone has seen some of my other threads Ive been dealing with some issues since having my 60K service done a few weeks back. When I left the dealership I had a misfire SES light come on and I also noticed this 'BRRRNNNNGGGG' sound. So I brought it back and they said they thought it was the butterfly gasket on the wastegate but they couldnt spend any more time looking at it(!). So a week later, I noticed some inconsistency with my boost so I took it to Autobahn in Peabody MA. They said the wastegate was shot and that sound was the wastegate not closing fully and rattling around-- hence the boost loss. So I replaced the wastegate and gaskets and when I went to pick up the car the noise was STILL there(!). So Im posting this video to get some better, more educated opinions.

You should know that the noise is happening between 1500-1800 rpm and just before idle. It happens in neutral (which was how this was filmed) or when the car is driving... so I hear it frequently when city driving. Ive heard it in all three lower gears. The location of the sound is a bit tricky but its definitely on the left side of the engine bay and it sounds almost like maybe its the cams or close to the belts in that area?

Im pretty much at the end of my rope. My 60K was $1200. I spent $1800 on the wastegate issue and to replace my bad ball joint with a new roll center adjustment kit setup. I really just want this sound to be gone... so I can enjoy my car after investing so much money into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.vimeo.com/11406022
Old May 2, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alot of service tecs at mitsubishi that work on evo's dont have that much experience with them, If this problem did not exists before you brought the car their for your 60k service I guarantee you this is their fault! do not let them make you believe there is something else rong with your car! take it back and demand that they fix it!!!
Old May 2, 2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by max4rw
alot of service tecs at mitsubishi that work on evo's dont have that much experience with them, If this problem did not exists before you brought the car their for your 60k service I guarantee you this is their fault! do not let them make you believe there is something else rong with your car! take it back and demand that they fix it!!!
Yeah I'm hoping I can get some info here from people so I can go back to get it fixed right.

Anyone checked out the video yet? Any thoughts on what the sound could be?
Old May 2, 2010, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take it back and have them correct the issue. That is not normal.

BTW - You can use a chopped up garden hose like a stethoscope. Put one end to your ear and the other can move about the engine until you find the exact source of the noise.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Take it back and have them correct the issue. That is not normal.

BTW - You can use a chopped up garden hose like a stethoscope. Put one end to your ear and the other can move about the engine until you find the exact source of the noise.
Good call on the garden hose. I was using the directional mic and kind of moving it around but I like your idea.

Im definitely bringing it back to both places, first to Autobahn to get some of my money back there since they assured me the sound was the wastegate shaking around. Then Im going to Cornerstone Mitsu to have them fix the issue that was most likely from their service. Who would have thought getting a 60K would eff up my car?
Old May 3, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djrndm
Good call on the garden hose. I was using the directional mic and kind of moving it around but I like your idea.

Im definitely bringing it back to both places, first to Autobahn to get some of my money back there since they assured me the sound was the wastegate shaking around. Then Im going to Cornerstone Mitsu to have them fix the issue that was most likely from their service. Who would have thought getting a 60K would eff up my car?
i know man it just is not right! I had a the same problem as you when I got my 60k done but it was a different noise ( metallic vibrating noise around 3500 rpm) problem was balance shaft 180 degrees out of phase. the noise on your vid sounds like something different. wish I could tell u what it was but idk. I know what a headache this has probably been. they made me believe that it was my perrin hfc that was making the noise. I spent the time and money to uninstall my cat only to figure out that it was not the cause! I took it back and this time they blame the noise on my drive shaft! at this point I am beyond ferrous! you would think when you take your car to a certified mitsu service center this kind of thing could never happen. DEFIANTLY NOT THE CASE! After this I call a respectable vendor on this site located a few hours away from me and explain my problem, he instantly knew where the service tec had failed! I had to get the tec from mitsu on the phone with this guy so he could tell him how and why he screwed up. After all of this my car finally gets fixed!! I know this dosent help you much but I hope it makes you feel a little better about the situation you are in cause I know it SUCKS!! good luck getting this resolved!
Old May 3, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Last edited by BoostINurI; May 3, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 3, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like your t-belt and or balance shaft belt may be to tight. Does the car shake or vibrate any ?
Old May 3, 2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoostINurI
Sounds like your t-belt and or balance shaft belt may be to tight. Does the car shake or vibrate any ?
Nothing noticeable. A bit of vibration at highway speed but during idle it seems normal.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:56 AM

Just spoke with Mike over at Autobahn and they want to help get it diagnosed properly so Im going to bring it over there. So thats cool of them. Hopefully they can figure it out and fix it or at least give me the info I need to bring it back to the dealer and have them fix their work.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Cool...update when they find problem.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

You have a PM

-Bink
Old May 5, 2010, 09:55 AM

::udpate::

Brought the car to Autobahn this morning and they thought it was the bearing in the power steering motor. So I brought it back to Cornerstone and had them check the belts/tensions they put in. They didnt find anything there, but they finally heard the noise (after I got the supervisor to step in). After checking it out for a while they too said its the power steering motor. Most likely its on its way out but for now its still working right so I'm inclined to deal with the sound until it affects performance.

So.... anyone have a power steering motor for sale?
Old May 5, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Try taking off your cam cover and take a look at your mivec gear. You may be able to
Narrow it down running the car with it off (listening) and take off the mani shield after. It sounds
Like the cam gear or something to do with the drive belt. Its hard to narrow it by a video
But it's worth a shot!

N
Old May 5, 2010, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by novem
Try taking off your cam cover and take a look at your mivec gear. You may be able to
Narrow it down running the car with it off (listening) and take off the mani shield after. It sounds
Like the cam gear or something to do with the drive belt. Its hard to narrow it by a video
But it's worth a shot!

N
This is the EXACT thing I was thinking too. If the service tech did your T-Belt he could have jacked up the MIVEC cam gear. If this is the case you should be able to tell by taking off the cam gear cover and the noise *should* get louder...especially if you use your home built stethascope (hose) to pinpoint this.

If it is the gear get it replaced ASAP, you wouldn't want the gear to crap out and bend half your valves and possibly worse.

Quick Reply: What's this engine sound? (NOW WITH VIDEO!)