Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Black oil filter line question

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RLLN247
If you talk to FP ask them about your filter housing. I was using the black cartridge and they told me to go back to the red one that I was using with the Fp RED. Something about the size of the hole.
i'll quote FP on ^^ one "we modify the black ones to specs since the Reds and Black Turbos for the Evos do not need as much volume of oil as using the Red restrictors"
Old May 11, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

ps. if i hadn't have come across this picture, i'd have been more confident that the first way i put it in was actually the right way. in this picture to me it looks like the shavings are on the outside of the filter (falling off it), if fit the proper way the shavings will accumulate on the INSIDE of the filter not the outside!
Attached Thumbnails FP Black oil filter line question-fp4anfilter04.jpg  
Old May 15, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What color inline filter do you have on the upgraded line?
Old May 15, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoturbodreamz
What color inline filter do you have on the upgraded line?
black, as in my initial post.
Old May 15, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

I'd go with the red if I were you...

Straight from FP website:
"We get many requests for an inline oil filter to use with the ball bearing turbos and other turbos we offer. So we created 2 very useful inline oil filters. These filters are color coded for their orifice diameter. The black filter is used in ball bearing applications and has a .030" restrictor, while the Red filter is .100" for full flow journal bearing turbos. "

The FP Black is a journal bearing turbo...
Old May 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Fp said there is an old black filter housing and a new one. I have the newer black housing and Fp said its the correct one for me. The newer one has a bigger orifice
Old May 15, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

any idea how FP clarified the difference between the old and the new black filter? Different product codes or etc..?
Old May 15, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If you call Fp and talk to Brian in the rebuild department he will give you the size of the drill bit that should fit in the orifice. I believe he said 1/8 but I'm not sure about that. If it doesn't fit then you need to drill it out to that size. Mine happened to be the correct size so no drilling needed.
Old May 15, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

my cars already apart for the turbo rebuild so i just pulled the filter out of the housing. The side of mine says .07 for the size of the restrictor and the new filter housings are .100. Any ideas what yours is? I'm guessing mine would need to be drilled..
Old May 15, 2010, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

this is the email response i got from Aniel at FP regarding my question to me having been sent the black housing as opposed to the red housing as per their website:

No we modify the black ones to specs since the Reds and Black Turbos for the Evos do not need as much volume of oil as using the Red restrictors.

Aniel Pagan
Sales Tech
AIM: anielpagan
972-984-1800 ext. #117
www.forcedperformance.net

sounds to me that they modify the black filter housings now to suit the journal bearing (FP Red & FP Black) turbo's. i have asked him to confirm this to be sure. will update.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ok cool thank you. I'm still just looking for answers as to mine failed in a very short time with no honest hard driving...The filter was clean, no visible turbine damage, and no smoke from blown turbo or anything. Just all of a sudden noise from the turbo and noticeable shaft play when I took the intake off.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

thats crap, i've only had my new turbo for a couple of weeks now and i'd be devastated if it failed. i live in aus so shipping/turn around time would add to the pain.

did fp replace yours?
Old May 15, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

I am very devastated, especially since I've only had the car for a month and my birthday is June 1st. So I'm going to be carless.....I've shipped it to them for a rebuild so they'll tell me what caused it and if it's under warranty..
Old May 20, 2010, 07:39 PM

i had to blow up there picture on the website to figure out which way to run it they should have a how to on the website
Old Apr 6, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread.

I just received my HTA Green yesterday, with the oil feed line. The filter included is the RED one. Is this correct??? I'm worried it should be the black one and that I got the red by mistake.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
J

Quick Reply: FP Black oil filter line question