Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Black oil filter line question

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FP Black oil filter line question

This is the last piece of the puzzle and just to be sure can someone that's installed the FP oil filter housing line filter tell be which way the filter is supposed to go into the FP housing?

I'm presuming it's the first pic, option A but instructions from FP don't tell you.

I however saw a picture of a used filter that had been pulled, it had little shavings on the outside which to me would mean it goes the other way as the oil is filtered coming from the evo oil housing side going to the turbo and that's a tight squeeze if im supposed to insert it there.

So which way is it?
Attached Thumbnails FP Black oil filter line question-option-.jpg   FP Black oil filter line question-option-b.jpg  
Old May 3, 2010, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

...someone must have done this install...
Old May 3, 2010, 03:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
first pic FTW
Old May 3, 2010, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
first pic FTW
thanks bro pic 1 was what i was hoping for. after i installed like in the first pic and started the car i had a small leak from the inline filter housing (yes i tightened it real hard) so i thought maybe i didnt put the filter in the right way the first time.
Old May 6, 2010, 03:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veszett
thanks bro pic 1 was what i was hoping for. after i installed like in the first pic and started the car i had a small leak from the inline filter housing (yes i tightened it real hard) so i thought maybe i didnt put the filter in the right way the first time.
did you crack the housing?
Old May 6, 2010, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
did you crack the housing?
no. initially i tightened it reasonably tight but not over tight and it leaked.

made sure ^^^ the filter was in the right way the first time before i put it back on. i tightened it REALLY hard, much harder than i would have been comfortable and now it holds. yes i was worried i was going to break it the second time but it wasn't holding so...

i have to add, i emailed FP 3 days ago and i still haven't heard back from them i would have thought a simple question like this wouldn't take so long answer, my car would still be siting there now. i like their install write up, its quite funny and no BS but they should really have better/more photo's to back it up.
Old May 7, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The configuration in Picture number one is what I am running with my HTA Green. I am fairly certain that is what FP asks for too, so that you have an even flow of oil and all particulate is caught in the very tip on the mesh filter, still allowing for flow around it on the outside walls of the cone.

Regardless, if the line is hooked up correctly (after the oil filter) and in the right high pressure feed bolt from the oil pump housing, the amount of particulate should be at a minimum. Noting that could really cause damage to the oil housing on the turbo. The filter is overkill, but nice insurance. You really can't go wrong with either way, I just have it hooked up like Picture 1 and am pretty sure that is the way they intended for it to be hooked up.
Old May 8, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

well im glad i had it the right way around and how you describe it makes sense but i was aiming on the side of caution, don't feel like dishing out another $2k for a turbo. from what i've read the in line filter is also a restrictor as the pressure coming from the oil filter housing is too high for the turbo seals to handle so getting it the wrong way around may not be good but i can't say.

Originally Posted by buchnerj
The configuration in Picture number one is what I am running with my HTA Green. I am fairly certain that is what FP asks for too, so that you have an even flow of oil and all particulate is caught in the very tip on the mesh filter, still allowing for flow around it on the outside walls of the cone.

Regardless, if the line is hooked up correctly (after the oil filter) and in the right high pressure feed bolt from the oil pump housing, the amount of particulate should be at a minimum. Noting that could really cause damage to the oil housing on the turbo. The filter is overkill, but nice insurance. You really can't go wrong with either way, I just have it hooked up like Picture 1 and am pretty sure that is the way they intended for it to be hooked up.
Old May 8, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

If you talk to FP ask them about your filter housing. I was using the black cartridge and they told me to go back to the red one that I was using with the Fp RED. Something about the size of the hole.
Old May 8, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

what did they say, why go to the red housing?

i only received this turbo/kit 2 weeks ago... i'll email them again but it'll be 1 week tomorrow that no one from FP has got back to me, bah!

Originally Posted by RLLN247
If you talk to FP ask them about your filter housing. I was using the black cartridge and they told me to go back to the red one that I was using with the Fp RED. Something about the size of the hole.

Last edited by veszett; May 8, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone on this thread, finishing up my FP Red and Oil Line install right now.
Old May 8, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

when it hits you'll love that top end pull!!

Originally Posted by Hardware
Thanks to everyone on this thread, finishing up my FP Red and Oil Line install right now.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump, did u heat up the oil filter housing plug like FP says to do? When my buddy did his he said his mechanic tightened the bolt to break the bond and it came right out. Thats what im gonna attempt in the next few hours when the mailman brings me my coupler. Anyone else do it that way?
Old May 11, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
It only fits one way. Fp also told me to check the orifice hole of mine since I got the install kit before the turbo. They told me to make sure the hole was the size of a 1/8th drill bit. Im not 100% on bit size. Call Fp to be sure.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
It only fits one way. Fp also told me to check the orifice hole of mine since I got the install kit before the turbo. They told me to make sure the hole was the size of a 1/8th drill bit. Im not 100% on bit size. Call Fp to be sure.
well it will actually fit both ways, except one is much tighter than the other. since i had that initial oil leak, which is now fixed, it raised the question. they talk about restrictors and sizes and stuff, i've never done this before so who was to say to me which was the right way and how tight it was supposed to be? fp don't provide pictures of the filter going into the housing.

anyway fp finally got back to me yesterday and confirmed it was as the first picture in the initial post.

Quick Reply: FP Black oil filter line question