Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Autronic PnP Evo VIII Board

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DynoFlash
This is bad news man

When you get that code does the car go into a limp mode of some sort till you turn it off and restart it ?
Thats the wierd thing about it, I always get this code, yet I have never gone into limp mode.

Ken
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MP5

Are these production boards or pre? If voltage is 10 something check to see if the components are out of the ordinary hot
MP5 - you are right on the money the board is defective - its jumping all over the place on the voltage - it jumps from 10.2 to 9.3 and then back to 10.2

The voltage going in is stable and ground is perfect so MP5 has proven to be a master trouble shooter and hit the nail right on the head

This is the THIRD problem I have had with this board and I am getting ZERO support - no reply to my post on the autronic forum

I called the distributor yesterday and he said he would call me back - still waiting a day later

So far

#1 - I had to cut "traces" on the board becuase someone forgot to do it at the factpry

#2 - it came loaded with a calibration map that did not have the fans enabled so I overheated my engine and popped a head gasket

# 3- the constant voltage issue

I think this is the problem with dealing with a very small company

A great product with lots of potential but too many rough edges for me

I'll give them another day or two to see what they work out then I guess its time to switch over to AEM and throw this unit in the trash can taking a $1550 loss

Last edited by Alfriedesq; Nov 12, 2003 at 12:08 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:39 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Damn bad news. When i used to review car stereo amps for a now defunct company the major problem and cost cutter they took was cheap power supply regulators. This is the reason amps like Mcintosh and ADS, zapco cost what they do for relatively low wattage outputs. We shouldnt have to seek the advice of an EE for a crappily regulated board that we are asking to act as full stand alone- seems they got the software for the product right but cheaped out on the hardware. Makes me wonder if the rest of the system is within tolerance and up to spec?

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
MP5 - you are right on the money the board is trash - its jumping all over the place on the voltage - it jumps from 10.2 to 9.3 and then back to 10.2

The voltage going in is stable and ground is perfect so MP5 has proven to be a master trouble shooter and hit the mail right on the head

This is the THIRD problem I have had with this board and I am getting ZERO support - no reply to my post on the autronic forum

I called the distributor yesterday and he said he would call me back - still waiting a day later

So far

#1 - I had to cut "traces" on the board becuase someone forgot to do it at the factpry

#2 - it came loaded with a calibration map that did not have the fans enabled so I overheated my engine and popped a head gasket

# 3- the constant voltage issue

It seems the only way to get a response from these guys is to post up here

I think this is the problem with dealing with a very small company

A great product with lots of potential but too many rough edges for me

I'll give them another day or two to see what they work out then I guess its time to switch over to AEM and throw this unit in the trash can taking a $1550 loss
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MP5
Damn bad news. When i used to review car stereo amps for a now defunct company the major problem and cost cutter they took was cheap power supply regulators. This is the reason amps like Mcintosh and ADS, zapco cost what they do for relatively low wattage outputs. We shouldnt have to seek the advice of an EE for a crappily regulated board that we are asking to act as full stand alone- seems they got the software for the product right but cheaped out on the hardware. Makes me wonder if the rest of the system is within tolerance and up to spec?

GOOD NEWS - I recieved a reply phone call shortly after I made the above post

The theory now is that I made a mistake when I cut the "trace"on the board that I was instructed to cut with an exacto knife - - they say I must have cut too much an injured the ground loop on the board

Basically - it seems like a mistake in the initial few boards and that future boards will be problem free as they will be done at the factory

In any event I can't ask for more from Autronic as they are going to onvcernight me a new board

We all make mistakes - but it seems that Autronic is really giving good customer service and standing behind its product which is ALL I COULD ASK under the circumstances

Finally - MP5 - the Autronic is world class product with an exelent reputation

This is a very good product with ONLY a few teething problems as I have one of the first boards

The next batch will not have any issues
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:54 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Finally - MP5 - the Autronic is world class product with an exelent reputation

yup never really heard anything bad about them pre runs will always have some sort of issues good to know they are offering great support
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:59 AM
In Timeout

Last edited by 2fast2Furious; Nov 12, 2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:05 PM
In Timeout

Quit making judgements about people you've never met. Al is a nice guy, although he comes off abit brash on the boards (as most of us do). No need to put insults in your profile. Especially to a guy who has done very well for himself.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:10 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by 5StarSuzuki
Quit making judgements about people you've never met. Al is a nice guy, although he comes off abit brash on the boards (as most of us do). No need to put insults in your profile. Especially to a guy who has done very well for himself.
Your not reading it right
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:11 PM
In Timeout

Read it again, it's not against Al it's on his side.

Originally posted by 5StarSuzuki
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MP5

yup never really heard anything bad about them pre runs will always have some sort of issues good to know they are offering great support
MP5 - one thing troubles me though - its WHY this other guy who posted above apparently is having the same trouble ???

Did he also make the same error cutting the "trace"???

It would be helpful if he would post some details regarding his trace cutting and ALSO - what battery voltage he is seeing as he drives and if it bounces around a lot

I had similar teething issues on my first LINK board but after a replacement unit was provided it prooved to be flawless for over a year and a half of driving

These kind of things happen all the time - its how they are addresed that seperates the good companies from the bad ones
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:21 PM
MP5
In Timeout

I dont know he stated a cyl 4 misfire and no limp mode. Was yours a 1 cyl misfire? He hasnt checked the voltage yet so we wont know till he comes back

MP5 - one thing troubles me though - its WHY this other guy who posted above apparently is having the same trouble ???

Did he also make the same error cutting the "trace"???

It would be helpful if he would post some details regarding his trace cutting and ALSO - what battery voltage he is seeing as he drives and if it bounces around a lot

I had similar teething issues on my first LINK board but after a replacement unit was provided it prooved to be flawless for over a year and a half of driving

These kind of things happen all the time - its how they are addresed that seperates the good companies from the bad ones
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2fast2Furious
Read it again, it's not against Al it's on his side.

Thanks for the help guys !

That was a funny story for sure!!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MP5
I dont know he stated a cyl 4 misfire and no limp mode. Was yours a 1 cyl misfire? He hasnt checked the voltage yet so we wont know till he comes back

I dont have the autotronic. All I have is a dynoflash reflash, although I have been having misfires even before the dynoflash.

But yes, on the obd2 code reader, it says mine is a cyl 1 misfire, although previously, if I remember correctly, it was a cyl4 misfire.

Ken
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:57 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by Illrunya

I dont have the autotronic. All I have is a dynoflash reflash, although I have been having misfires even before the dynoflash.

But yes, on the obd2 code reader, it says mine is a cyl 1 misfire, although previously, if I remember correctly, it was a cyl4 misfire.

Ken
?? Did you think we were talking bout the dynoflash?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Illrunya

Ken
AH man - talk about a FALSE alarm ! And here I am thinking there is some problem with these boards!!

Are you local - can you bring your car by - even though it has nothing to do with the re-flash as you had the same problem before - I would still offer you a free troubleshooting attempt to see if I can diagnose the problem for you

Quick Reply: Autronic PnP Evo VIII Board