Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010 | 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RockmanX
his name is vegasse and he sold me a junk t/b with a **** port job so i prefer to leave that alone . i know mikey was not being serious. i was just saying the average person thats doing decient can have a bad *** evo just needs to budget his money and know things come in time dont have to have it all right now you know
LOL!!!!! why does that not sound right? vegasse ripped you off over a $100 throttle body?
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
There will be motor pics in here on Wed at the latest. Aaron has all the pics at the shop and I will get them from him when I go to get my car.

No I was not serious! Rock will just believe anything you tell him. I am an E5 in the Navy. I just budget a lot of my pay to my evo. That's all. Anyone that knows me, knows I don't make that much money but I act like I do. I'm really just hella in debt!!!

Honestly if I was rich I would still have my evo. I love it.

Mikey
i would also. its a great go kart, and very responsive to modifications. whats not to like about it? besides it being mitsubishi? LOL.
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 04:40 PM
Former Sponsor

did you guys see the new subaru + toyota joint venture vehicle being released in 2011-2012?

Google toyobaru...... it looks like a winner to me.
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Oh sick, combine the best of both worlds. The WRX and the Scion
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Oh hell yea dude I have the exedy triple for this build haha, I was talking when I was stock turbo and stuff.
exedy triple to much for me ill stick with my two exedy twin and exedy twin carbon if i have to get a triple ill do it. man i can see it now getting used to the pressure.

Originally Posted by tscompusa
LOL!!!!! why does that not sound right? vegasse ripped you off over a $100 throttle body?
if you would like to inspect the peace of crap ill be more then happy to ship it to ya if you want to pay for shipping hints me semi trying to find another t/b now port or stocker going back on but t/b can be put on last so i got leads on some 65mm ones

Last edited by RockmanX; Jun 2, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

blk,

thanks for the rod info. that helps things clear up a bit. i wiki'd the **** out of it to read up, but ill be getting my parts soon. just got to budget like rockman said.

honestly, the price of the exedy triple carbon makes me want to puke but i know ill puke more if i got a twin and burned it and needed a triple.

with the car being a 2.4 is it necessary to install springs/retainers with the kelford or s2 cams? i don't see the point really unless you take it past 8k but power tapers off then anyway with the black so no need to shift there. i dont know if valve float fears can warrant replacement of springs and retainers in this black build
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

did you guys see the new subaru + toyota joint venture vehicle being released in 2011-2012?

Google toyobaru...... it looks like a winner to me.
I like the way the new STI looks, however I doubt it will come out to look that way. If it does, I'll buy it the day it comes out, but my evo will still be better!

Oh sick, combine the best of both worlds. The WRX and the Scion

Mikey
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

exedy triple to much for me ill stick with my two exedy twin and exedy twin carbon if i have to get a triple ill do it. man i can see it now getting used to the pressure.
I had a Twin HD but sent it back just because the last thing I wanted was a twin disc that was installed and then I had to yank out right away becasue it couldnt hold the power, I figured the triple was good insurance. It wasnt an off the shelf triple either it was a revised version of the SR that Shep got for me from Exedy
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

I had a Twin HD but sent it back just because the last thing I wanted was a twin disc that was installed and then I had to yank out right away becasue it couldnt hold the power, I figured the triple was good insurance. It wasnt an off the shelf triple either it was a revised version of the SR that Shep got for me from Exedy

now come on the twin can hold some power on its own accord if your shooting for constant 700 and up then i can see why but i dont want to go near that number. dont want to open another can of worms
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 07:52 PM
Former Sponsor

if you would like to inspect the peace of crap ill be more then happy to ship it to ya if you want to pay for shipping hints me semi trying to find another t/b now port or stocker going back on but t/b can be put on last so i got leads on some 65mm ones
lol. you could try shipping it to Aby from mil.spec and see what he can do with it.
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 07:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I like the way the new STI looks, however I doubt it will come out to look that way. If it does, I'll buy it the day it comes out, but my evo will still be better!

Mikey

i hope so..... right now it looks nice. they alreayd got forums for it. http://toyobaru.net/ im sure toyota/subaru seen this already
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 08:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Ted,

thank you for the very informative post (as always). One thing I want to make sure I am clear on and anyone reading is, is that effective duration is not the same as advertised. For instance (and in talking to Anders as well) I am running cams that are 236@ 1mm and more lift with the head ported literally thru the casting on one port. They are still 274 advertised so realistically we have only altered the ramp rate to improve cylinder filling and evacuation.

I have heard about your cams so I know what we could be doing, at what point would you think the trade off between ramp rate and advertised duration has been overrun? Running the sim I am thinking I could probably squeeze another 6-8* before i really need to start adding some more advertised duration back in.
I've put some thought into this as well, and naturally, there are always tradeoffs. My cams are 272 deg adv duration, 222 @ 1mm, with 12.3mm lift. On paper that looks more like a WRC cam, and definitely not tailored for all-out high rpm power. If we look at the basic ramp rates for some popular cams without taking lift into account, we get this:

Basic ramp rates (smaller = more aggressive)
HKS 280: 280-222 = 58

My cams: 272-222 = 50
Kelford 280: 280-238 = 48
GSC S3: 280-238 = 48
Kelford 272: 272-226 = 46

Tomei 270: 270-227 = 43
GSC S2: 274-232 = 42
BF272: XXX-XXX =

Your cams: 274-236 = 38
JUN 272: 272-235 = 37

Of course, this doesn't tell the whole story. The ramps of my cams appear only moderately aggressive at a glance, but the difference is lift. My setup however is a 2.0L with a 8.6 SCR, a R/S ratio of 1.77, and won't be as forgiving to a long duration camshaft as your 2.4L, 10:1, 1.56 R/S motor.

My valvetrain that requires a lot of torque to turn over, requires a stiff spring set to control valve action (harder on valves and seats), and definitely creates piston/valve clearance concerns. Keep these things in mind if you're going to go steeper on the ramps. But conversely, keep in mind that aggressive ramps tend to make long duration cams more civilized, but without sacrificing the power potential that comes with it.

Also, I can't help but wonder if the hydraulic lifter valvetrain is really able to keep up without some bleed, but I have know way of knowing. I keep thinking about how hard it is to turn over these cams, Kiggly's 15psi at the lifters, and how my 'non-ticking' lifters damn sure tick with my valvetrain.

There is a point whereby a more aggressive ramp creates more problems than it solves. I don't know the lift of your cams, but looks to me like you're already in very steep territory. And where the head is concerned, my opinion with these heads is that if you've hit water, you're making progress.

Originally Posted by Broham
... ted b i'm still awaiting your logic for the exhaust manifold comments.
My logic is sourced here:
Testing vs. Buschur ported stock w/E85

The results were rather impressive. An increase in power of 5% over a ported stocker, on E85, with at less indicated resistance (boost) results from reduced turbine side pressure and a lower PR across the compressor. It's like having one's cake and eating it too. Is it cheap? No, but neither is anything we're discussing here. What's it worth to possibly achieve 630whp at less boost than what it would ordinarily require to get 600whp? That's a calculated decision, and you already know mine.

Originally Posted by calievo
What's the longest rod you could run with a 100m stroke? Is it 159mm? 162mm you could only do with a shorter stroke, correct, like 88mm? Just curious.
For a standard block, I'd stick with 150mm. For a 4G64 block with its 6mm additional deck height, I'd stick with 156mm. Further lengthening the rod (e.g. 159mm) won't make a discernible difference on the dyno vs. 156mm, but the negative impact that results from the reduced compression height raises a whole 'nother can of worms.

What's a 'whole nother' anyway? Is there a such thing as a 'half nother'? Never did get that one ...
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

You're retarded and clueless. I'm over 15k in mine and i do all my own work almost 99%. Parts up add, but its no comparison to other more high end automobiles out there. Just because you cant afford it doesn't mean others cant.

If he wants someone else doing it then what is wrong with that? At least hes having a shop that knows their **** do it to begin with. You would be surprised how many people let others wrench on their vehicles that can do it themselves but choose not to.
lol Its funny cause I was just talking to my wife about this not to long ago. She was never into cars before we met and for the first couple years she wasn't about it but she has been super supportive of my habit and even wants her own Evo now.

Anyways she was telling shes happy I'm getting what I want but shes not thrilled about the price and I said to her. I know I really do have a problem, spending 20k to get a car modified is just insane, but at least here on EvoM I'm in good company lol.

BTW I am not a doctor lol
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
lol Its funny cause I was just talking to my wife about this not to long ago. She was never into cars before we met and for the first couple years she wasn't about it but she has been super supportive of my habit and even wants her own Evo now.

Anyways she was telling shes happy I'm getting what I want but shes not thrilled about the price and I said to her. I know I really do have a problem, spending 20k to get a car modified is just insane, but at least here on EvoM I'm in good company lol.

BTW I am not a doctor lol
least your spending the money on something you love and not gambling it away or spending it on drugs etc lol. one could always sell the project car and make some money back if needed
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

least your spending the money on something you love and not gambling it away or spending it on drugs etc lol. one could always sell the project car and make some money back if needed
Drugs would probably be cheaper lol

Quick Reply: Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build