Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010 | 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Broham
wow this thread is insanely active. to stay back on topic,

blk,
what is your opinion of the magnus intake? i hear good things but are the gains worth it? what is the reasoning for you going turbosmart bov over aps twin vent?

the triple ceramic metallic is the streetable one, and not the carbon, the carbon is going to be better for the race track for better heat dissipation but the carbon wears faster. last price i got was 2k shipped for triple metallic and 870 to upgrade twin to triple.

my goals for power are more "this hits hard!" than a specific number. the 2.4 black is optimized, what are your opinions about the best oil to run for street in a 2.4 build?

First off, where in VA are you from? I grew up in VA before I joined the Navy.

The Magnus v5 is the best intake manifold on the market!!! I didn't loose any spool, however the Magnus didn't help spool. I gained about 35hp from the Magnus alone on the Red. If you end up going Black, you may gain more If you get the Magnus v5 I would recommend getting the ETS Magnus specific short route UICP. It is exstrememly nice! Here is a link of my friend Eric doing a back to back on his Magnus v5 with a Red , the whole thread is great but post number 14 is the back to back https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-v5-omfg.html

I went with the turbosmart bov because it is just like the Tial 50mm, but from my experience and what turbosmart told me, it is better. They look identical. I don't like the aps twin vent!

Mikey
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

TiAL all the way. made in the U.S.A. You won't find a higher quality piece out there.
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the response,

springfield, va area currently. don't have a garage, so i'm sort of worried after puttn this kind of money into the car a classic theft or vandalism may **** me off. thinking of movin to apartment with a garage. glad the turbosmart is good. so if i want the tial 50mm do i just get it flanged with the uicp specific for the magnus? All i hear is good things witht the magnus. coupled with a tubular exhaust manifold, over 50whp gains may be possible. despite the steep price. thanks man.

garret core over bar and plate? ams is saying bar and plate is supreme but dyno numbers from buschur say otherwise. what is the consensus of this?
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the response,

springfield, va area currently. don't have a garage, so i'm sort of worried after puttn this kind of money into the car a classic theft or vandalism may **** me off. thinking of movin to apartment with a garage. glad the turbosmart is good. so if i want the tial 50mm do i just get it flanged with the uicp specific for the magnus? All i hear is good things witht the magnus. coupled with a tubular exhaust manifold, over 50whp gains may be possible. despite the steep price. thanks man.

garret core over bar and plate? ams is saying bar and plate is supreme but dyno numbers from buschur say otherwise. what is the consensus of this?
Ya you might want to get a place with a garage. That area is not the best area of va. lol

Ya if you get the UICP from Michael at ETS just tell them to weld a stainless steel 50mm flange on it. If you buy the Tial or turbosmart from them it would be easier because it comes with the flange. 50hp gain is very possible!

I am hands down Garrett core! CBRD tested their Garrett core vs a ETS bar and plate and gained 20hp if I remember correctly. I got my Garrett FMIC from ETS. They are only 100 more than a std FMIC. Great mod in my opinion!

Mikey
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

thread is just moving along nicely. broham your going to end up like me by the time you get all the parts you need for the shortblock together and bov fp will have anew turbo out on the market haaaa i waited almost a year with my fp red never used brand new and here comes the black. maybe fp blue will be out when your ready for your turbo choice LOL.

btw good call on the tubular manifold
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
thread is just moving along nicely. broham your going to end up like me by the time you get all the parts you need for the shortblock together and bov fp will have anew turbo out on the market haaaa i waited almost a year with my fp red never used brand new and here comes the black. maybe fp blue will be out when your ready for your turbo choice LOL.

btw good call on the tubular manifold
I think the new turbo should be called the FP-xxXR... Just straight up sounds bad ***. The little xx will be the compressor size and I think I know what it may end up being at some point but I'll keep the cat in the bag. It will be awhile till anything new starts coming. Robert, I now have you a name!

Mikey
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

well if its stock frame and better then the black i might consider it. But at some point you just have to be done with the car. after the rims vg repaint possible varis front bumper probaly call it quits and look around for anew project a second car with a extremely mild mild build just a nice turboed car for DD use advert miles off evo with new motor etc
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

well if its stock frame and better then the black i might consider it. But at some point you just have to be done with the car. after the rims vg repaint possible varis front bumper probaly call it quits and look around for anew project a second car with a extremely mild mild build just a nice turboed car for DD use advert miles off evo with new motor etc
Good idea, I've been playing with the idea of pickin up a GVR-4 and using it as a part time DD for keeping miles off the Evo.

Figure its AWD and already has the best 4 banger around. Would be cheap and fun to play with.
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Good idea, I've been playing with the idea of pickin up a GVR-4 and using it as a part time DD for keeping miles off the Evo.

Figure its AWD and already has the best 4 banger around. Would be cheap and fun to play with.
i flip flop bad dude. im thinking either

cheap s2k(turbo its hella small and can get cramped and annoying)
cheap rsx(i have a body kit cf hood exhaust spoiler angel headlights euro dark tails) i was going to get one awhile ago but just could not get a deal in place with dealer after i bought parts lol
BUILD A FORTUNE RX7(vette motor swap)
Another Evo 8(widebody it basic hta green TBE intercooler pipes aps bov rims done)
consider a new car 2009 -up

im thinking of waiting to see new cars that come out save money for 1 or 2 years then see whats up.
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Well I have a kid so I need a 4 door. Wife wants her own Evo, so 3 ain't happening with my income lol
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

yea rock, i think this build will really take time and fp will release another turbo. i don't want to skimp on the build. i have an old celica i drive, ill probably get a cheap 2 seater like a 04 z or something after this build is put to rest. at this rate, this car might as well get some visual work done and go show car if i need it too. ill be the guinea pig on the ets tubular as opposed to the shearer.
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

yea rock, i think this build will really take time and fp will release another turbo. i don't want to skimp on the build. i have an old celica i drive, ill probably get a cheap 2 seater like a 04 z or something after this build is put to rest. at this rate, this car might as well get some visual work done and go show car if i need it too. ill be the guinea pig on the ets tubular as opposed to the shearer.
you need to just come join the "mona lisa" clan quit playing. step into my office when your ready to buy one. I have a Z and love it but not even close to cheap to mod everything is 600+ and up easy turbo kits 5k and up lol
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

all the cars there were tuned perfectly you saw that raillart in my vid eating *** right lol. so i have no doubt in the tune i just like to double check everything. I have seen shotty work from other shops and subpar tunes so i rather check the work over if everything is cool then ok. even if it was built by ER i would still have it double checked.
To err is human. To doublecheck is just smart.
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Aaron, how is the driveablitly of the car so far? I assume you got to drive it before TJ took it home?

Mikey
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Starts first crank, cruises and drives like stock. I didnt attempt any boosting or such yet as it is still just a baby.

Quick Reply: Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build