Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Correct...I just looked at a turbo'd one this evening for a local here in my hometown. Maybe thats why I have that stroke size on my brain. All Evo turbo equipment swap on one, very nicely done...needs dyno time now
I try not to say this publicly but I traded my 94 tsi for an 03 Oz Rally and that's why I happened to remember kinda which engine it had.

Last edited by wreckless969; Jun 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckless969
I try to say this publicly but I traded my 94 tsi for an 03 Oz Rally and that's why I happened to remember kinda which engine it had.
wow... I would have kept the tsi unless you really needed a 4 door...

Mikey
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
wow... I would have kept the tsi unless you really needed a 4 door...

Mikey
Well I had replaced the head gasket due to a bad water pump then the damn thing jumped timing cause I didn't replace the pulley tensioner so I had to replace the head again then about a month after that the tranny housing cracked so I was like **** this I need something reliable to get back and forth to work and I didn't have money to keep replacing ****.

I regret it now but at the time it seemed like the best idea.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Well I had replaced the head gasket due to a bad water pump then the damn thing jumped timing cause I didn't replace the pulley tensioner so I had to replace the head again then about a month after that the tranny housing cracked so I was like **** this I need something reliable to get back and forth to work and I didn't have money to keep replacing ****.

I regret it now but at the time it seemed like the best idea.
Completely understandable. I have had to fix so much **** on my car. There have been a few times I was about to get rid of it, just because I was pissed. Kinda like how you get mad at your girl and you are about to leave her, however deep inside you still love her! My roomy said I drive their car more than my own because it is always getting fixed.

Mikey
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Completely understandable. I have had to fix so much **** on my car. There have been a few times I was about to get rid of it, just because I was pissed. Kinda like how you get mad at your girl and you are about to leave her, however deep inside you still love her! My roomy said I drive their car more than my own because it is always getting fixed.

Mikey
Yeah, I really regret it but hindsight is 20/20. Considering how bad the dealer bent me over at the time also
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
2.3 requires the 2.0 block which is better sold off in my opinion to pay for the 2.4. A 2.3 cant be done as a long rod because of the deck height and the low compression height that the piston would end up with. For less money you get a bigger motor with the 2.4 and can do some interesting combos in the block.

The added advantage of the long rod is a reduction of vibration that is inhererent with the 2.3 and the std rod 2.4s. Its not that bad but the LR2.4 knocks it down that much more. It also reduces the amount of cylinder sideload at high rpm. I am only revving to around 8300 but with peak power at 7900 I have the ability to over rev and maintain power still...might as well use it

aaron
Nice explanation man, kind of "sells" me as to why to not go the 2.3 route. the setup is almost a fusion of great parts all to make one great combo. Did you go with 156mm rods? One thing I did wonder is why do AMS go with a copper o ringged deck? Wouldn't a material like piano steel, stainless steel be better off?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Broham
Nice explanation man, kind of "sells" me as to why to not go the 2.3 route. the setup is almost a fusion of great parts all to make one great combo. Did you go with 156mm rods? One thing I did wonder is why do AMS go with a copper o ringged deck? Wouldn't a material like piano steel, stainless steel be better off?
Yes all the great parts into one great motor combo. Aaron and I both have the GSC 156mm rods.

Mikey
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

*** UPDATE ***

Just talked with Aaron. My motor is still a baby and doesn't have the amount of miles on it that we would like. So tomorrow we will only be doing a base tune/dyno and limit the motor to 550ish till it gets around 1500 miles. By then I should have my new cams and housing installed. Then we will begin to push the motor!

I'll update this thread tomorrow with my dyno and I'll also post it in the dyno threads. Thanks for all support everyone!

Mikey
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FInally!! we'll be waiting for that chart man
Old Jun 7, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will just make the next tune that much better! Cant wait to see it!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have fun on the dynometers. E85 for break-in?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
Have fun on the dynometers. E85 for break-in?
Yep, E85 for break in. I'm not sure if Aaron gave me a pump gas map or not. In the end of June I will do a solid pump gas tune.

How is your car doing?

Mikey
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did your Blackie come configured with the FP 25# WGA? Or. will you still be running the 18 pounder on your new turbo? Update your ModList already puhleeze, Mikester! Don't ask about my Red install, OK?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Did your Blackie come configured with the FP 25# WGA? Or. will you still be running the 18 pounder on your new turbo? Update your ModList already puhleeze, Mikester! Don't ask about my Red install, OK?
We think the black came with an 18psi. We will find out tomorrow once we run wastegate and see what it does. I have a 25psi in case it is the 18psi. I'll update my modlist all in good time buddy! If you want to see the mods go to the first page of my thread!

What? No Red yet? By the time you get the Red on there will be a FP clear and a FP rainbow. Just giving you a hard time.

Mikey
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! Thanks for referring me to the updated modlist in your opening post. Fyucck, it is really awesome and exactly what i want for my own old self! Truly nice it is Mikey! Fyucck! Sheetz. Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck

Quick Reply: Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build