Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 12:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikey you get one serious build on your hands it gonna be one nasty ca!!! As far as the girls part in your mod list first get a collection of.pics like me then you can start bragging about it..hah!ahaha.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Stealin my build eh....? Can't wait to see it man!
Old May 7, 2010, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Pardon the interuption Mikey but this needs to be addressed and as it was done publicly it will be explained publicly (a PM would have been a nice way to start though to be honest).

Well to put things in perspective, the owner I purchased the vehicle from said all of the work had been done by English Racing.
Tuned it and replaced the transmission.

It was pushing 27 lbs on the stock block/head with 93/meth.
Not even aggressive on meth

The engine sent a rod out of the side of the block about 3 weeks after I received the car.
Talk to the former owner about his driving habits, the car was tuned for zero knock and low torque.

I pulled the rom off the car and the rev limiter was set to 8081 rpm. I'm a little confused as to why the rev limiter was set so high since the engine was on stock springs/retainers/rods/pistons/crank/etc... So I don't know. I'll know more once I get the engine pulled this next weekend.

-Acree
8100 (8081) is low for stock springs and retainers on smaller cams. 8300 is the normal stock valvespring limit and 8500 is the stock bottom end. I set most of them based on customer request or in attempt to keep the owner from smashing fuel cut from the rev limiter when it has meth on it. This has the nasty habit of ejecting rods as you have discovered.

The motor is 100% stock internally. I do not know what he told you or claimed we did. I read the contents of the 2 (yes 2) invoices I had for Marc and there was no internal work ever done. I do not know how long it had been on the car (I would presume years) prior to us tuning it but it had the most aggressive 92/meth tune I had ever seen courtesy of JestR. I still have it on my laptop. I think you were the victim of a tired and overworked stock shortblock.

Our pricing is not a stripped shortblock like you would get from some online parts retailers. Ours is a complete motor minus head, sold without core if it cannot be provided (but deducted if it can). I mean complete in the true sense of the word. We include everything to make it run as soon as you get it in the car and the head back on. The custom waterpump, proven headgasket (I researched that one on my own motors), rods, etc. The connecting rods are not cheap, please feel free to price them. Pistons to our specs (all of them based off our 2 race cars, not some fanciful imagination based on a 600whp car pretending to be 1000whp) are custom and not inexpensive. Our labor and expertise comes with a price, so I hope you can see there is a reason why I quoted you a certain price. My motor proves what we do works and I feel works very well. If you dont like the price thats understandable as it is not cheap for a reliable foundation.

"Speed costs money. How fast do you really wanna go?" - Gray Baskerville.

Last edited by JohnBradley; May 7, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old May 7, 2010, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley

"Speed costs money. How fast do you really wanna go?" - Gray Baskerville.
Fast, Reliable, Cheap.... pick 2.. pretty common basis when building a car.

I think this looks like a pretty promising build though. Nice to see some different stuff every now and then. Should be a fun ride regardless.. you'll make ridiculous torque and be able to rap out your car fairly high in the RPMs compared to a traditional 2.3 or 2.4 motor. Only thing that turns me off to the idea of running a stock frame turbo is the boost drop off up top.. The one thing I HATED about the stock turbo was how it just seemed to "die" up top and anything past like 120-125mph.. you can forget about it. Good luck to you though, this thing will be a beast!
Old May 7, 2010, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Definately stock turbo will kill this up top but I am keeping mine due to autocrossing. I am also going with an FP black but will be running E-85 most of the time. I can't wait to start road racing!
Old May 7, 2010, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Acree
Subscribing. I have talked with JohnBradley about the 2.4 you guys are going with, seeing as I am still in need of a new engine. But the price I was quoted almost made me choke. I'll have to see if the outcome from your build will be worth the extra cash to make me choice ER some of the other much cheaper choices.

-Acree
why dont you just get a std 2.4 still will be a beast motor. better then nothing for sure. Mikey told me the price its not cheap by any means but again what do you expect with a LR2.4 your stepping the game up so price goes up accordingly
Old May 7, 2010, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

Siiick build bro, Aaron I Want a LR2.4 now
Old May 7, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

This is going to be one sick *** engine when it is done!
Old May 7, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mikey - Sounds awesome....I can't wait to see what you get out of this setup....
Old May 7, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Pardon the interuption Mikey but this needs to be addressed and as it was done publicly it will be explained publicly (a PM would have been a nice way to start though to be honest).

Talk to the former owner about his driving habits, the car was tuned for zero knock and low torque.

8100 (8081) is low for stock springs and retainers on smaller cams. 8300 is the normal stock valvespring limit and 8500 is the stock bottom end. I set most of them based on customer request or in attempt to keep the owner from smashing fuel cut from the rev limiter when it has meth on it. This has the nasty habit of ejecting rods as you have discovered.

The motor is 100% stock internally. I do not know what he told you or claimed we did. I read the contents of the 2 (yes 2) invoices I had for Marc and there was no internal work ever done. I do not know how long it had been on the car (I would presume years) prior to us tuning it but it had the most aggressive 92/meth tune I had ever seen courtesy of JestR. I still have it on my laptop. I think you were the victim of a tired and overworked stock shortblock.
There are also so many other variables that could cause this as well...

Was there a fail safe on the meth kit?
Did the meth pump fail?
Did the previous owner mess with the tune at all?
What was the condition of the engine when the new person purchased it?
Old May 7, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_TK
Siiick build bro, Aaron I Want a LR2.4 now
Thomas, your built 2.0 not good enough? jk jk

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
There are also so many other variables that could cause this as well...

Was there a fail safe on the meth kit?
Did the meth pump fail?
Did the previous owner mess with the tune at all?
What was the condition of the engine when the new person purchased it?
True Fred. That was really ****ed up for that to have been released in the forum, muchless for that dude to put it in my thread... O well, what can you do right?

Well getting ready for work. So glad it is a ****ing Friday

Mikey
Old May 7, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

We havent had the car in our possession since May of last year. I dont understand why we were even considered a variable in the failure.
Old May 7, 2010, 08:18 AM
Account Disabled

congrats, should be a monster setup!
Old May 7, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

any info on Mivec Cam Gear Mod would be interesting to read... Just sayin. hehehe!
Old May 7, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HOSTILE_EVO
any info on Mivec Cam Gear Mod would be interesting to read... Just sayin. hehehe!
Click on my sig "New build". The info is in there

aaron

Quick Reply: Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build