Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice to know your back mikey im ordering my new ibeam rod tomorrow so as soon as it comes in my build is on to put it together machine shop came back last week to let me know which one to buy so its on finally
Old Jun 1, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

*** UPDATE *** *** UPDATE ***

Just talked with Aaron today. There was a bit of a delay with my turbo, however ER recieved the Black from Robert today and will be installing it over the next day or two.

It also looks like the cams will not be in till mid June along with one of my other mods. We have decided to go ahead and slap the turbo on and do a break-in along with a conservative E85 tune. I took off work Tuesday the 8th and will going to ER for the dyno. I hope to have the graphs up by Tuesday night.

Then towards the end of June when both of my other mods arrive we will revisit the dyno and really see what the car/turbo can do.

Once again, thanks to everyone that has helped me with my build. Can't wait to finaly get my car back since I have not had it for going on 3 months now. I'm starting to sound like Rock and that is bad...

Mikey

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Jun 1, 2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: blah blah can't spell
Old Jun 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I cant wait till I jump on board with you and Rockman
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
What are you waiting on? It is just money! LMAO

Mikey
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice build man!Wish I would have been on here sooner!!I would have went with a Buschur 2.4 and there head and FMIC though..Why not a FP Black or T4z?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SpeedySam
Nice build man!Wish I would have been on here sooner!!I would have went with a Buschur 2.4 and there head and FMIC though..Why not a FP Black or T4z?
I am going with the FP Black!

Mikey
Old Jun 1, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
*** UPDATE *** *** UPDATE ***

Just talked with Aaron today. There was a bit of a delay with my turbo, however ER recieved the Black from Robert today and will be installing it over the next day or two.

It also looks like the cams will not be in till mid June along with one of my other mods. We have decided to go ahead and slap the turbo on and do a break-in along with a conservative E85 tune. I took off work Tuesday the 8th and will going to ER for the dyno. I hope to have the graphs up by Tuesday night.

Then towards the end of June when both of my other mods arrive we will revisit the dyno and really see what the car/turbo can do.

Once again, thanks to everyone that has helped me with my build. Can't wait to finaly get my car back since I have not had it for going on 3 months now. I'm starting to sound like Rock and that is bad...

Mikey

damn right lol i order the final i beam rod to replace the lightly shaved one so we are in business as soon as it comes in. You can only sound like me if you put all those parts in your closet and try to break my record lol.

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
LOL well come on then. we have a warm seat waiting on you. you got the black now pull the trigger on a 2.4 and come join the revolution
Old Jun 1, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
damn right lol i order the final i beam rod to replace the lightly shaved one so we are in business as soon as it comes in. You can only sound like me if you put all those parts in your closet and try to break my record lol.

I don't have a closet big enought to hold all of my gay ness. lol jk

LOL well come on then. we have a warm seat waiting on you. you got the black now pull the trigger on a 2.4 and come join the revolution
I agree, however the "revolution"...

Mikey
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Just remember there are some cars around here that have been down for 5 months or more Could be worse I spose.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm not much of a 100mm stroke advocate, but I've been asked by the OP to chime in, so here it goes:

Even a 156mm rod with 100mm stroke crank gives a R/S ratio of only 1.56, or 4% better than a 150mm rod, which is minimal. Still, if it can be done rather easily, better 1.56 than 1.50.

The larger displacement and short rod ratio places greater demands on the intake port, which is no barn burner to begin with. Where the EVO head is concerned, I'm an advocate of porting to the very limit of what the casting will accept, simply because in this case, one runs out of metal before getting enough airflow. In my own situation, that required CNC porting and two sacrificial heads.

The 10:1 SCR is livable - just don't try to break power records with 93 octane. Make E85 the primary fuel.

I feel the I-beam rods are the best option for ultra high torque applications.

With respect to cams, longer effective duration is the rule for longer strokes and shorter R/S ratios. The slower piston movement around BDC reduces the sensitivity of the engine to delayed intake valve closing, while the increased acceleration away from TDC and higher SCR offset the negative impact of the longer duration at slower engine speeds.

I'm not sure so optimistic about the factory exhaust manifold (even ported) for this application. Some years ago, I bolted on a cheapie tubular to my TME turbo and saw an immediate torque improvement across the board. Both Full-Race and Shearer have tubular designs that should outperform the factory part, and of course, one never knows about missing power, unless of course he finds it.

As for adding meth injection, I'd pass on that idea. It's just another inevitable headache, and you'll run out of turbo capacity before you reach the limits of what E85 can handle. I converted my existing SMC injection setup to H2O, and use it only as a measure of forgiveness when running 93 octane.

Oh, if you're using a factory crank, I suggest Kiggly's top end oil pressure regulator. It's cheap means of ensuring full oil pressure to Mitsu's long stroke crankshaft, which is not optimized for high rpm oiling efficiency.

Just my $0.02 as requested.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Just remember there are some cars around here that have been down for 5 months or more Could be worse I spose.
Agreed. It sucks to be without a car for a week. lol However, I would leave my car with ER for a year if that is what it takes to make the best setup possible!

Originally Posted by Ted B
I'm not much of a 100mm stroke advocate, but I've been asked by the OP to chime in, so here it goes:

Even a 156mm rod with 100mm stroke crank gives a R/S ratio of only 1.56, or 4% better than a 150mm rod, which is minimal. Still, if it can be done rather easily, better 1.56 than 1.50.

The larger displacement and short rod ratio places greater demands on the intake port, which is no barn burner to begin with. Where the EVO head is concerned, I'm an advocate of porting to the very limit of what the casting will accept, simply because in this case, one runs out of metal before getting enough airflow. In my own situation, that required CNC porting and two sacrificial heads.

The 10:1 SCR is livable - just don't try to break power records with 93 octane. Make E85 the primary fuel.

I feel the I-beam rods are the best option for ultra high torque applications.

With respect to cams, longer effective duration is the rule for longer strokes and shorter R/S ratios. The slower piston movement around BDC reduces the sensitivity of the engine to delayed intake valve closing, while the increased acceleration away from TDC and higher SCR offset the negative impact of the longer duration at slower engine speeds.

I'm not sure so optimistic about the factory exhaust manifold (even ported) for this application. Some years ago, I bolted on a cheapie tubular to my TME turbo and saw an immediate torque improvement across the board. Both Full-Race and Shearer have tubular designs that should outperform the factory part, and of course, one never knows about missing power, unless of course he finds it.

As for adding meth injection, I'd pass on that idea. It's just another inevitable headache, and you'll run out of turbo capacity before you reach the limits of what E85 can handle. I converted my existing SMC injection setup to H2O, and use it only as a measure of forgiveness when running 93 octane.

Oh, if you're using a factory crank, I suggest Kiggly's top end oil pressure regulator. It's cheap means of ensuring full oil pressure to Mitsu's long stroke crankshaft, which is not optimized for high rpm oiling efficiency.

Just my $0.02 as requested.
Ted, Thanks for your inputs. I liked the thought of going to a 2.4L since I will be mostly street driven and the LR option was not much more and added a bit of security. I'll take a 1.56 over a 1.50 anyday!

I think we should have enough cam for the motor. We will have a pretty high effective dur and lift, the cams just won't be ready for another week or two.

I have never heard of the Kiggly top end oil pressure reg. I found it on the site and will look into it. I also need to get an oil pressure gauge too. I'll add those to my list of things! Thanks Ted.

Aaron, I saw in another thread that you put these on your street cars. Did you end up putting one of these in my car already?

Mikey

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Jun 1, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Nice, We should have a good comparsion of my 2.0 Black on E85 vs your 2.4 Black on E85 at the end of the summer. But I think I am going to want to go with the 2.4 next summer
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, what do you guys do for a living?
I'm tired of seeing you Evo guys throw money around like it's nothing, but to each his own.

Oh, and one more thing.

Paying someone to work on your car is like paying someone to have sex with your wife and then bragging about it when she's pregnant!

Oh, nice build BTW!
"Not a bad way to spend $10,000...."
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Strm Trpr
I'm tired of seeing you Evo guys throw money around like it's nothing, but to each his own.

Oh, and one more thing.

Paying someone to work on your car is like paying someone to have sex with your wife and then bragging about it when she's pregnant!

Oh, nice build BTW!
Jealous?

Looking good, cant wait to see those numbers!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_TK
Nice, We should have a good comparsion of my 2.0 Black on E85 vs your 2.4 Black on E85 at the end of the summer. But I think I am going to want to go with the 2.4 next summer
sell that 2.0 and you will get your 2.4 easy enough

Originally Posted by Strm Trpr

Oh, and one more thing.

Oh, nice build BTW!
really really one should never preform work on his car unless he knows what he is doing. It will end up costing you more money by messing up then if you would have just paid to have it done right the first time.

Mikey i got aem oil pressure guage 150psi for 199 shipped. Send me a link to what ted b was talking about since i have 100mm crank in my 2.4 setup as well

Last edited by RockmanX; Jun 2, 2010 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build