Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010 | 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Mikey and Rockman you guys going to Evo/DSM shootout this year?
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

storm,

you should've just said you were just kiddin lol. the 2.3 rr truly is too expensive unless you have tons of cash to burn. in my opinion its not worth it. do like most and collect parts and ship out to get built for maximum savings or let a company like buschur etc do the job.

back on topic, ted b i'm still awaiting your logic for the exhaust manifold comments. why aren't people running the ets stock replacement manifold? its claimed to improve spool/gain power. is this manifold even compatible? thanks
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Yeah Im at 20k right now and that's with Davids generous Military Discount , and I'm going back and forth with myself as to whither or not to upgrade from a twin disc to a triple.
Military Discount is amazing Honestly I would upgrade to the triple while doing your motor. Save you the labor in the long run.

Originally Posted by RockmanX
im at work so im going to read about them right now mikey and further my knowledge and see if its worth the coin. if its something i can install after the fact then i might do that. LOL im with wreckless(btw you going to wish you got 2.4 lol) IM seriously tired of spending money lol i want to take a break and get some new kicks and larger tvs and such. LOL. i have not seen my evo in 2 months so im ready to rock and roll good thing is im just waiting on the box from manley then they can start putting it together.
I have not got new kicks yet, however I did just buy a LG 32" LCD for my bedroom Did you end up getting turbo tuffs?

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Looks like our cars may be done around the same time Mikey and Rock! You be reppin the West Coast Rockman rep's the Midwest and Ill rep the East
Together we rep the entire US. That is something most people can't say... Now only if we all lived in the same area. Talking about dominating the streets

In short, Buschur's custom 10:1 long rod 2.4L with an FP Black, Exedy Triple with built Shep 5spd and Bushwacker transfer case, etc etc etc.

I'm sure there will be a full build thread soon or once its done
Looks like your build is almost identical to mine. Should be interesting to see everyones setup come to life over the summer!

Mikey
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by calievo
What's the longest rod you could run with a 100m stroke? Is it 159mm? 162mm you could only do with a shorter stroke, correct, like 88mm? Just curious.
Honestly I think you can get a 159mm with a 100mm stroke but your piston would have to be custom and will not have the proper compression height that it should. I would never do this due to the reliablility not being very good. Just my 2cents. I'm sure Aaron or Ted could expand on this better.

Mikey
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Military Discount is amazing Honestly I would upgrade to the triple while doing your motor. Save you the labor in the long run.
Yeah, but I'm at about budget max lol.

I'm trying to shuffle things around so we'll see.
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Hey Mikey and Rockman you guys going to Evo/DSM shootout this year?
I would love to but I have not clue where it is or when... Even if I could manage to get 700 out of my car with 4.11 FD I don't think I could hang with the big boys. However Mike at AWD did run a 9.33 on his 2.4L Black. I don't have a roll cage at the momment though...

Originally Posted by Broham
storm,

you should've just said you were just kiddin lol. the 2.3 rr truly is too expensive unless you have tons of cash to burn. in my opinion its not worth it. do like most and collect parts and ship out to get built for maximum savings or let a company like buschur etc do the job.

back on topic, ted b i'm still awaiting your logic for the exhaust manifold comments. why aren't people running the ets stock replacement manifold? its claimed to improve spool/gain power. is this manifold even compatible? thanks
The 2.3RR is nothing but a 2.2LR. Aaron at ER built and ran one before going to his 2.4LR and he said he will never look back. The 2.4LR will make more power than the 2.2LR and only lose 500rpms but it spools the turbo 300-500 rpms sooner so really it is the same if you look at the powerband. Aaron said he personally will prob never run another setup. The 2.4LR is a winner is all catagores and it is much cheaper than a 2.2LR/2.3RR.

For the stock replacement manifolds. Most people don't see benificial to spend 1k on a new manifold when they can make more power with other mods and cheaper. The manifold would be the "last mod to make the power" kinda thing. I have looked into them but right now I don't think it is truly needed. Look at Mike at AWD. They made 720hp on the stock manifold and didn't seem to be a huge restriction. Tubular may be better but if you look at Full Race, their manifold for even the 40Rs are the same 1.25" as the stock manifold. I think a ported stock will flow just fine for most everyones goals. Just my 2cents.

Mikey
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I would love to but I have not clue where it is or when... Even if I could manage to get 700 out of my car with 4.11 FD I don't think I could hang with the big boys. However Mike at AWD did run a 9.33 on his 2.4L Black. I don't have a roll cage at the momment though...

The 2.3RR is nothing but a 2.2LR. Aaron at ER built and ran one before going to his 2.4LR and he said he will never look back. The 2.4LR will make more power than the 2.2LR and only lose 500rpms but it spools the turbo 300-500 rpms sooner so really it is the same if you look at the powerband. Aaron said he personally will prob never run another setup. The 2.4LR is a winner is all catagores and it is much cheaper than a 2.2LR/2.3RR.

For the stock replacement manifolds. Most people don't see benificial to spend 1k on a new manifold when they can make more power with other mods and cheaper. The manifold would be the "last mod to make the power" kinda thing. I have looked into them but right now I don't think it is truly needed. Look at Mike at AWD. They made 720hp on the stock manifold and didn't seem to be a huge restriction. Tubular may be better but if you look at Full Race, their manifold for even the 40Rs are the same 1.25" as the stock manifold. I think a ported stock will flow just fine for most everyones goals. Just my 2cents.

Mikey
Not mine MONA!!!!!! lol a tubular is just to darn pretty my friend sorry. Power beauty and grace all rolled into one tight little package

[/QUOTE]

broham i dont know if my car will be done by then chances are it will be but i have to get time off work to travel 6 hours thats the hard part
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

blk,

you hit the nail on the head. I was asking that to ted b because he said "not sure about optimal for this kind of setup" uhh i dont have a G to spend on a manifold when the ported stock works excellent, but on the other hand a polished one is pretty. but if i ever go show car i guess the stock isn't as "hot" as a snake looking tubular manifold lol. how do you make it a long rod exactly? can only english racing perform this build or can i get another builder to perform this? what do i tell them if i'd like a long rod build of the 2.4? thanks man

rock,
your build is looking serious man. still got plenty of time in the summer to finish up. i'm still collecting parts myself. only have the "expensive" stuff left. like the triple carbon, intercooler kit, and actual labor/ getting block built/ tune. ill try to finish before fall when the temps go donw a bit and the car gets nasty.
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

I have a virgin bore 99' 4G64 short block on it's way from New York as we speak.
My 15yr old will be home to receive 4 boxes over the next three days.
Fed Ex and Brown !

The 4G64 will receive a 2.4L Magnus Long Rod Rotating Assembly .
That will be my end all be all billet build.
I will have to couple that with a Shep Dog Box and call it a day, but that will be after I beat on this Long Rod 2.0L for a season or two.
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

The 2.3RR is nothing but a 2.2LR. Aaron at ER built and ran one before going to his 2.4LR and he said he will never look back. The 2.4LR will make more power than the 2.2LR and only lose 500rpms but it spools the turbo 300-500 rpms sooner so really it is the same if you look at the powerband. Aaron said he personally will prob never run another setup. The 2.4LR is a winner is all categories and it is much cheaper than a 2.2LR/2.3RR.
The AMS 2.3RR is a little different than the 2.2 I did or the ones we typically do for customers. I believe they use a 4G64 based 87x97 motor with a 156mm rod which would be 1.61 where the standard 87x94 we do is 1.66. The 2.3RR is 2306 if I have the dimensions correct and the 2.2 is 2235cc. Each has its place and as a bigger race motor I think either of those is great. I prefer the biggest motor I can build and still rev like a stock bottom end 2.0l (by stock I mean STOCK) for the street. I wont go back to anything smaller but its not that I wouldnt build them if someone wanted something like a 2.2LR. We will not offer the 162mm 2.2 anymore with anything other than steel rods (same for the 4G63 based 2.2) and really the 156 is the best fit.

Mikey
Depends on the fuel. E85 is a different game than gas where you might see some gains because of the density difference of the exhaust. I know on stock frame turbos on Ethanol it really seems to be minimal. I wont quote power numbers but by the percentage we are in the 1.5-2% range.

Aaron
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Broham
blk,

you hit the nail on the head. I was asking that to ted b because he said "not sure about optimal for this kind of setup" uhh i dont have a G to spend on a manifold when the ported stock works excellent, but on the other hand a polished one is pretty. but if i ever go show car i guess the stock isn't as "hot" as a snake looking tubular manifold lol. how do you make it a long rod exactly? can only english racing perform this build or can i get another builder to perform this? what do i tell them if i'd like a long rod build of the 2.4? thanks man

rock,
your build is looking serious man. still got plenty of time in the summer to finish up. i'm still collecting parts myself. only have the "expensive" stuff left. like the triple carbon, intercooler kit, and actual labor/ getting block built/ tune. ill try to finish before fall when the temps go donw a bit and the car gets nasty.
I think I went over the difference between the std 2.4 and a LR 2.4 on the first page of my thread. the std 2.3/2.4 uses at 150mm rod in either the 4G63/4G64 block. If you use the 4G64 block it has a 6mm higher deck height than the 4G63 allowing you to use a 6mm longer rod and pretty much using the same piston as the 2.3L 4G63 but 86.5 or 87mm with a CH of 1.13. It is just an all around much better setup than a std 2.3 or a std 2.4. Go look through the first page of my thread and read all the info I stated about the benifits of running a LR2.4

Originally Posted by Strm Trpr
I have a virgin bore 99' 4G64 short block on it's way from New York as we speak.
My 15yr old will be home to receive 4 boxes over the next three days.
Fed Ex and Brown !

The 4G64 will receive a 2.4L Magnus Long Rod Rotating Assembly .
That will be my end all be all billet build.
I will have to couple that with a Shep Dog Box and call it a day, but that will be after I beat on this Long Rod 2.0L for a season or two.
Sounds great! You will be happy with the Magnus kit. They have some great products and I would be 100% confortable running a setup like that. Keep us posted on your progress!

Mikey
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Yessirrrrr I cant wait to see our cars all done. Ours are close, except Im not going to be on E85 Ill be doing 93+meth and I dont think Ill be doing speed density. My Evo's still going to be daily driven so Im not really looking to break any records eventhough Im still gearing it more toward being a powerhouse, just want a solid 10 second street car and Ill be happy.

I want a beater so badly though hahah
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yessirrrrr I cant wait to see our cars all done. Ours are close, except Im not going to be on E85 Ill be doing 93+meth and I dont think Ill be doing speed density. My Evo's still going to be daily driven so Im not really looking to break any records eventhough Im still gearing it more toward being a powerhouse, just want a solid 10 second street car and Ill be happy.

I want a beater so badly though hahah
We all want a 10 sec daily driver Honestly, I would look into doing speed density. Going from MAF to speed density will gain a few hp but the real benifit is the driveability. It is like comparing night and day. +1 for SD

Mikey
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

We all want a 10 sec daily driver Honestly, I would look into doing speed density. Going from MAF to speed density will gain a few hp but the real benifit is the driveability. It is like comparing night and day. +1 for SD

Mikey
Yes Im speaking with David about doing it, not 100% on it yet though. Im confident the car will be more than capable of the goal, with me driving though hopefully Ill crack my stock turbo and stock block time of 12.3 by a tenth or so Damn stock clutch slipping ruining my shot at 11's.
Old Jun 2, 2010 | 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Time for a triple

Mikey

Quick Reply: Mikey's LR2.4 MIVEC 10:1 Motor Build