Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

nitrous front mount intercooler chiller kit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by nonmature

dan do you know anywhere that I can get only the fixture from I just need that being as I have a dry kit already and all the parts....
Call us. I can order the parts you need.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
(703) 237-0900
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Is there any way I can refil the can myself? Can I use a compressor to refil it? Sorry If it sounds like a dumb questions, I am just trying to find out if this kit can be refilled easily.

If I can refill the kit myself I would be much more tempted to buy it.

Originally posted by Mach V Dan

You can refill it at a speed shop with a nitrous setup, or you can fill it at a gas supply store. Check your yellow pages. Nitrous runs $4 to $5 a pound. I think CO2 is more like $0.50 a pound.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Feb 10, 2004, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Dan, thanks for bringing some serious info to the thread...

I think your power gains were due to one or both of two reasons:

either your tune is very aggressive and you're normally running far under potential (knock retard, etc) and the cooler air staved off detonation enough for the tune to reach it's full potential

and/or

the nitrous was inhaled by your engine and added some power by it's very nature.

i guess my point is that i can't see a safely tuned evo picking up 50 horses just from the air being colder, unless said evo, like perhaps yours, was running far below it's potential in the first place.

i dont have any tuning experience with evo's, but ive plenty of datalogging and tuning with supercharged, aftercooled power, and i can say without a DOUBT that cold air alone doesn't make all that much extra power.

i tried dry ice in my aftercooler system, but that was too cold and the antifreeze got too thick. running ice water gave the best results, and allowed me to run an extra 8-10 degrees of timing advance, so my traps went from 116 to 122 - a MAJOR difference, all from cold air and timing.

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
Is there any way I can refil the can myself? Can I use a compressor to refil it? Sorry If it sounds like a dumb questions, I am just trying to find out if this kit can be refilled easily.

If I can refill the kit myself I would be much more tempted to buy it.

the pressure levels inside a compressed gas tank are FAR above and beyond any normal air compressor's capability.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

i think the ratio is every 10 C lower inlet temps equals about 1% increase in power! therefore a 50 C drop in inlet temp on a 400bhp car would give you a 20bhp gain from cooling effect only!
Old Feb 12, 2004, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by chuntington101
i think the ratio is every 10 C lower inlet temps equals about 1% increase in power! therefore a 50 C drop in inlet temp on a 400bhp car would give you a 20bhp gain from cooling effect only!
so 122 degrees farenheit of difference gets you 20 crank horses?

it takes 64 crank horsepower to equal 48 whp (Dan's gain)

in order to have just the cooling effect (no tuning differences) add that much power, there would have to be a *before* temp of X and an *after* temp of X-366F.

Dropping 366F would be an incredible accomplishment, but remember that inefficiencies exist and you'd probably need to get the intercooler itself 400 degrees colder to make the inlet air drop 366... I'm merely guessing, but it doesn't seem likely that a sprayed intercooler kit is going to work THAT well.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

umm actually i thought it was more like every 10 degrees F lowered equals 1 HP
Old Feb 12, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Evo Spec VIII
umm actually i thought it was more like every 10 degrees F lowered equals 1 HP
Here's a calculator that uses the SAE correction factor that you apply to dyno numbers. Just plugging in some numbers...if I go from 120 F to 20 F, (at 30 in/hg and 0 humidity and altitude) I go from 1.015 to 0.907. If we assume my motor made 250 hp at the wheels, that would be 27 hp.

120 seems like a reasonable intake temp without the gas, but I'm not sure the intake temp really could get cooled down to 20 degrees F. Even if it could, I would have to assume that the other 20 hp of the 47 hp gain was from nitrous inhalation.

--Dan
Mach V
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds good. i just wanna say i love your evo, its my favorite, since i love white and its just sick, i wanna make my RS just like it when they get out!!!!!
Old Feb 13, 2004, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Evo Speck VIII i may be wrong, i know there was a 10 in there some where (hehe). you can get big gains from better cooling. in the 90s, the ford Esscort Cosworth had both an intercooler and a charge cooler to try and get an advantage on the stages. the only problem that i can see with this kit is the limited amount of use you get from it! How long would a 10Lbs bottle last?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Just a thought, the new Ford Lightning will have a cooling system that uses the a/c system to cool the intercooler and Ford claims this is good for an additional 50hp for up to I believe they said it would last for about 10-15 seconds. Seems this supports the "cooling the intercooler" theroy as there is absolutely no NOS anywhere near their motor.
John
Old Feb 13, 2004, 07:12 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by AustinEVO
Just a thought, the new Ford Lightning will have a cooling system that uses the a/c system to cool the intercooler and Ford claims this is good for an additional 50hp for up to I believe they said it would last for about 10-15 seconds. Seems this supports the "cooling the intercooler" theroy as there is absolutely no NOS anywhere near their motor.
John
Thats because there is no intercooler(right?) Its basically strapping on the proper cooling device till the ice melts
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, the ac system will cool the liquid in an updated version of the aftercooler system that they now use.

there's no ice, just the cooling effects of the AC system, which is essentially robbing power before hand, cooling a medium down (the liquid), and using that stored coolness to later cool down the intake charge... but after having an aftercooled S-trim on my mustang, I can tell you right now that the 50 horses is not coming from the cooler air alone, you might get 10 horses from the air being cooler, and another 40 from the tuning advantage (more timing or less fuel).