Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur exhausts, a comparison...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur exhausts, a comparison...

Hey all,
Just to add to the confusion here over which of the dozens of exhausts to choose from, I'll offer my two oxidized pennies:
I needed an exhaust and from cruising this forum, it seemed that the Buschur was a GREAT deal, considering he'll put any muffler on it and the laminar flow that you get from itlooks amazing in addition to making tons of power on the dyno. So I knew who I was getting it from, but I'm a low profile type of guy, so I'm not really into loud glasspacks letting all the cops know where I am. But the Evo kind of fits with that image, so I had internal conflicts. I couldn't decide, so I just got em both.
First, I put the BR can on when I initially installed the turboback. Very easy install, or so it seemed at the time. Put all the slipjoints as tight as they can go and started her up.
Damn, she's loud!
The buschur can sounds AMAZING at WOT, is quite loud, but amazingly, doesn't drone enough to give me a headache (YMMV). I loved the sound of it, but I kind of screwed up the fitment on it, so I had to get under the car anyway, and I can't just have a classy "MAGNAFLOW" paperweight, so I decided to swap em out.

Now, about the fitment, if you put the slip joints together tight, it'll rub. What I did was bolt in the downpipe to the 02 housing, take off the lower tiebars, slip the system together, but didn't clamp it until I had fitment of the rear section perfect. By perfect, I mean the last round hanger on the catback goes behind the rubber hanger that bolts to the subframe. Make sure muffler tip comes out of bumper at least 1/2 inch and doesn't come close enough to burn the bumper. Then, slip everything together equally and clamp her down tight. No exhaust paste needed, no leaks to speak of and more importantly, NO RUBBING OR VIBRATION IN THE CABIN.

Now, about the Magnaflow.
When I started her up this time, I was kind of dejected cause I was used to the angry rumble of the buschur can. While the BR sounds amazing in its own right, the Magnaflow is for a different type of person. I know there are a lot of ex-S4 guys out here, this system would be perfect for them. Sounds almost stock at idle, but when you want it to make sound, it's there. At WOT, it has the same sound as the buschur, if only at a slightly lower volume. Perfect daily driver muffler and you can hold conversations all day long in the car and no drone to speak of.

Bottom line, if you like something loud, stick with David's standard system.
If you're like me and have to talk to clients in the car and require something that doesn't permeate your soul, go with David's Magnaflow. It's a solidly built system either way, great welds (I love that ****) and great fitment if you take your time with it. I'm very happy that I got both, just so that I can make my neighbors run when I want to.

Once it's aligned right, you can swap out mufflers in about 20 minutes, 10 of which is getting tools and jackstands in place.

Joe
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

So the "magniflow" is just the muffler, and thats what make the big difference in sound?

I take it you have 3'' from turbo back, and is this comparison with the straight pipe on?

How much for the magniflow muffler? I wonder if other mufflers would fit?

Im considering something, either getting the high flow cat, or maybe now this.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Joe I am very glad to hear you like your system. When you are ready for some more goodies just let me know. Thanks again Joe. It was a pleasure doing business with you and I hope to again real soon.
As for the Muffler we can put any muffler on the system that is 20" long overall and a 16" body. And the Magnaflow is a $20 option on our system. Please Chris if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a email at jarrod@buschurracing.com or a PM on here and/or feel free to give me a call here at the shop at 440-839-1900. Thanks

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; Nov 11, 2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Jrod, Check your PM :-)
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

The magnaflow option is just them sending you a magnaflow muffler welded in place of their own.
Yes, 3" turboback, no cat. The car might be too quiet with a cat, and I kinda dig the stink.
Jarrod went over the pricing above, and I don't know if I'd go with anything else. From my experience, the Magnaflow is the best out there for someone looking for gains without a lot of attention. There are TONS of mufflers out there, pick one that fits you. (Sorry to sound like a Sobe radio ad)

If you're considering something, want something that won't put a huge dent in your wallet, fits well, but doesn't perk the ears up of every cop when you cruise by, the BR magnaflow's the way to go.

No affiliation, just a very happy customer, albeit one that had to do battle with a poor fitting Stromung on my last car that broke something every other week.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Any difference in performance with the quieter muffler?
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

<---BR turbo back w/highlow cat and Magnaflow

Happy customer!
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GetterDragun
Any difference in performance with the quieter muffler?
I don't see how there could be, especially noticeable. One thing I noticed about the muffler section of the Magnaflow, you can see straight through it! I don't see how that's more restrictive at all!

But then again, I'm no muffler expert either ....
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm still on stock programming. I'm sure you can make more power with the BR muffler, as has been proven on this forum and others, but on an otherwise stock car with no ECU or AFC or EMS or other initials, the Magnaflow will run slightly better. Maybe the extra exhaust gas velocity spikes boost and makes it pull timing up top? I dunno, didn't datalog anything, just know that it pulls to redline faster on a stock ECU with the magnaflow vs. the BR can. I'm sure once you mess with the magic box, you'd rather have a BR can on there, but they will both give you gains.
No dyno numbers to back that up, just my butt in that Recaro, YMMV, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 08:34 PM
Account Disabled

Again does the Magna flow rob HP over the BR exhaust?
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

how long was the install?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Most of the gains you get from these exhaust systems is in the reduction of laminar flow restrictions via smoother piping, which either system will accomplish. Muffler selection just lets you decide how loud you want it. Minimal differences between the two performance wise, IMO.

Install took about 3 hours including getting the car up, beer breaks, Wendy's run, etc.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the review. I really appreciate you posting it for all to see.

Nice comparison and nice hearing that the adjustments made the exhaust fit perfectly.

Take care and thanks again,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:28 AM

exhaust

Hello all-

I'm new to the "group", just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth on the "ol" exhaust questions. I just got off the phone w/ jarrod at Buschur and I did it I ordered their system turbo back / no cat/ w/David's stock can not the magnaflow. I've got to say Jarrod was super helpful and closed the dealwith my money going to them. I have debated for 4 days now on what to buy. I mean really debated, like all i've thought about is freakin exhaust, what a headache. I hate making the wrong call on this stuff. So much to choose from, so many claims. For me it came down to hayward and scott, the AVO system or my final choice BR, the H&S is not even in the country,
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:44 AM

exhaust

Hello all-

I'm new to the "group", just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth on the "ol" exhaust questions. I just got off the phone w/ jarrod at Buschur and I did it I ordered their system turbo back / no cat/ w/David's stock can not the magnaflow. I've got to say Jarrod was super helpful and closed the dealwith my money going to them. I have debated for 4 days now on what to buy. I mean really debated, like all i've thought about is freakin exhaust, what a headache. I hate making the wrong call on this stuff. So much to choose from, so many claims. For me it came down to hayward and scott, the AVO system or my final choice BR, the H&S is not even in the country, no inventory according to them. The AVO seems to be nice as well from my research but I just got a good feeling about the BR system. They seem more real and hardcore like someone who you would shoot the sh#t with at the track, I felt like they really thought this out, the kind of people who use their own stuff. The fact that David watches and respondes to people on here means alot as well. I cant wait, nothing like the old brown truck pulling in the driveway with new stuff. I know i made the right choice, I will let everyone know what the outcome is. by the way I have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and this car gets driven weekly so i had a concern about the sound as well so we will just see!!! later

Quick Reply: Buschur exhausts, a comparison...