Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 type turbo on an Evo 7: what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 type turbo on an Evo 7: what do I need?

Hey Everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a JDM Evo VII GSR. I am currently planning on an upgrade to either the FP Red or the FP Green. To upgrade an Evo 8 to a Forced Permormace Turbo I know that you need an "Evo 9 Turbo Install to Evo 8 kit" or whatnot. My main question is this Will this kit also allow this turbo to be installed on an Evo 7? Also, if you happen to be an expert on 7s, I have a few more questions. Are the stock injectors the same as on the 8? Are there any major differences under the hood (between a 7 and 8) that could cause problems with tuning? and Where can I buy a KPH speedometer that reads more than 180? Any other 7 specific advice I should consider before the upgrade? ( I don't need a rundown of all the basic mods, or a Red vs. Green debate). Thanks in advance.
Old May 13, 2010, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, the same install kit will work when going from an Evo 7 turbo to an Evo 9 based turbo. However, you should be able to order just the IX compressor discharge tube("J" pipe) and get away with just slightly bending your VII oil and coolant lines to fit. Same cc injectors.
Old May 13, 2010, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

well i already did this and didnt need to bend anything i just cant remember if i left the line on there ( evo 9 turbo ) or i used the ones on the car now the j pipe u have to order other then that its a breeze install, and yes the injectors are the same for the evo 8 and 9
Old May 13, 2010, 06:12 AM

I'm going through the same process at the moment. You may want to look at upgrading the injectors to 750cc or a bit more your stock 560cc ones will be very close to maxing out.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:02 AM

Thanks! And one more quick question...

Thanks for the info guys!! Just wondering badgsex, how did you get your 7 into the states? I am considering bringing it back with me after I finish my work here in about 2 years I live in a place with no emissions checks and such (gotta love small towns in Nevada). I would want to actually drive it too, not just use it as a track vehicle. Any idea how to go about the whole process? Also wondering, is the AYC fluid for the 7 the same as for the USDM Evo X? I should probably replace mine next time I'm near the one Mitsubishi dealer in this country, and I think they only recently started selling officially.