Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2WD evo mod

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2003, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some skylines are rwd.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 08:57 AM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My evo is 1 wheel drive, the front left wheel only.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by nsnguyen
However, due to its purely mechanical nature, and the nature of VCD's in general, there's no way to 'rig' it to disengage. I'd imagine that parasitic losses from the rear diff and halfshafts spinning would reduce the economy gained by disengaging the rear driveshaft.
Here's the link on the explorer forum:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...0&pagenumber=1

It does work quite well... My friend reported a 5mpg increase in highway efficiency. It also definitely puts it into 2WD mode since he can now do burnouts.

Originally posted by liquidlancer
if its that importaint gass milage give me your evo and you can take my lancer?
It's not "that important" but I was trying to find out if there was an identical way to do it on the evo as on the explorer. For the price of a $1 switch and an install time of 10 minutes, wouldn't it be nice to spend a little less money on gas if you do long highway trips like I do?

I wouldn't trade my evo for anything... But can you fault me for trying to save money when performance is not needed so that I can spend that money on things like autocrossing and driving school?

Even extremely wealthy people can see the value of "a penny saved is a penny earned"... Just ask Mike Tyson...

Last edited by arpad; Nov 12, 2003 at 10:03 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by MrBonus

From what I understand, you would have to disconnect the driveshaft to the rear so you'd have a FWD car.

Regardless, posts like these are silly and impractical.
That's the stupidest post yet... Are you 14?

I actually have a Explorer and I've done this mod, and it works great. Why WOULDN"T someone want to go to 2wd for long hwy trips? Running that in 4 is just retarded.

Most late model X's have the aforementioned Control Trac setup. This is an AWD T-case that sends only small amounts (<10%) of power to the front wheels during relaxed driving. Under hard acceleration, or rear wheel slippage, the front hydraulic clutch is given more power, and the power distribution can approach 50/50. All I did was install a switch inline with the clutch power supply. Now I can completely switch to RWD in both hi and low.
I get better fwy mileage and can do sweet burnouts

No heterosexual can tell me that they would have a problem with better mileage and sweet burnouts.

The only problem here is that I don't know enough about the drivetrain of the evo... It sounds like they have mechanical clutches that might be difficult to disengage completely? How does the fatory drivetrain alter the amount of power that goes to the front vs. the rear? That's the spot where you'd look to make this mod.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

be like in 2f2f (the skyline)just take out the front cv joints!!!!!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
This makes no sence? Why would you want the option... has no practical use. Just a wierd thing you brought up, just install a fake switch does the same thing... lol
Old Nov 12, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Evo11V
This makes no sence? Why would you want the option... has no practical use. Just a wierd thing you brought up, just install a fake switch does the same thing... lol
Do you have FAS?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

How about getting a boost controler and turning the boost down when you're on a long trip.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by uzzirider

That's the stupidest post yet... Are you 14?

I actually have a Explorer and I've done this mod, and it works great. Why WOULDN"T someone want to go to 2wd for long hwy trips? Running that in 4 is just retarded.

Most late model X's have the aforementioned Control Trac setup. This is an AWD T-case that sends only small amounts (<10%) of power to the front wheels during relaxed driving. Under hard acceleration, or rear wheel slippage, the front hydraulic clutch is given more power, and the power distribution can approach 50/50. All I did was install a switch inline with the clutch power supply. Now I can completely switch to RWD in both hi and low.
I get better fwy mileage and can do sweet burnouts

No heterosexual can tell me that they would have a problem with better mileage and sweet burnouts.

The only problem here is that I don't know enough about the drivetrain of the evo... It sounds like they have mechanical clutches that might be difficult to disengage completely? How does the fatory drivetrain alter the amount of power that goes to the front vs. the rear? That's the spot where you'd look to make this mod.
He don't sound retarded or 14, sounds like he has a DSM background and knows wtf he is talking about to me! The EVO drivetrain (what you asked about) is different than the DSM drivetrain, so I don't know if even the DSM method (what was described) would work for the EVO. I know that some kind of switch to FWD is possible because that is how Buschur Racing does their dyno testing for EVO performance parts.

Keith
Old Nov 12, 2003, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The EVO would have SUCH more WHP if it was 2WD. Of course it wouldnt be able to accelerate quite as quickly, especially from a stop. But it would lay down tons more hp to the wheels if only two wheels were driven. On my last dyno visit (Thanks Dyno Authority) My engine has to push 66lbs of dead weight to get the car movin, other EVO's tested were around 64-67. WRX's were down to 40, while Honduhs were around 15-20lbs.

The only comparible vehicle with that type of heavy duty drivetrain was the Typhoon and some other car that I cant remember.. ****
Old Nov 12, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you could weld the center diff or something and be able to select a 2WD mode.. someone correct me
Old Nov 12, 2003, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fourdoor
He don't sound retarded or 14, sounds like he has a DSM background and knows wtf he is talking about to me!
I believe he wasn't referring to MrBonus's first sentence, but rather his second sentence:

Originally posted by MrBonus
From what I understand, you would have to disconnect the driveshaft to the rear so you'd have a FWD car.

Regardless, posts like these are silly and impractical.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

AWD=all wheel drive(all the time) 4WD=2wd or 4wd(its your option).
I have never heard of an AWD being able to go back and forth. If so please let me know about it, because I would love the extra 5mpg also.