Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking at thick (long lasting) clutches for 300-350 wtq.

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at thick (long lasting) clutches for 300-350 wtq.

I need to order a clutch pretty quick. Its slipping pretty bad and im going to have to hold off on the autoX coming up untill i replace it.

What would u reccomend? I want a thicker one that will last a long time and can handle launching.

Are clutches with organic pad material bad for launching? I do autoXs almost 1ce a month and ocassionally drag.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:36 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't think thickness matters nearly as much as the type of material used. Organic is not good for launching, it can't handle the heat generated as well as other available clutch materials. You probably want to go with a sprung hub 6 puck ceramic/metallic disc.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

what about a ceramic full faced clutch as appose to pucked?
i think thicker dissipates heat better and i would think give longer life??
Old May 16, 2010, 11:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We use ACT 6puck with great success on the X.. lasts long as i havent had to replace 1 yet..

Mike
Old May 17, 2010, 06:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Xearo
what about a ceramic full faced clutch as appose to pucked?
The reason for the pucks is to give more cooling area. Does anyone make a full face ceramic?
Old May 17, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Looking at those clutches i saw heavy duty and extreme. This is kind of for torque rating right? Is heavy duty too much? didnt see anything besides those two. and vendors, this ones for u.. Who has a kit with included lightened fly wheel? and how much shipped to 49855
Old May 17, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone buy anything from WeaponSpeed.com? They have an Act 6 puck for 530 shipped. I am looking at lighter flywheels too.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

I am going to probably end up with one of these clutch / flywheel combos. Though I havnt decided weather i will go with a street disc or 6 puck sprung. I launch sometimes and I might feel better doing it on something thats not an organic disk. And like Mojo asked about full faced ceramic.. I havnt seen one yet. I daily drive my evo and i have to wait mid-hill at stop lights sometimes which might be difficult with a tougher clutch.?! Who here can stop midway up a hill and take off from a stop with traffic behind them? Is it difficult? lol.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-country.html

http://www.maperformance.com/evo-vii...ywheel-combos/

Not sure the weight of the CC flywheel in the second link - i think its 14 lbs. Ill probably only hit the 350wtq mark in the life of this clutch.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

I have an ACT 6puck unsprung with a Gruppe S flywheel - the key to good shifting is having as low as possible rotational mass...

I didnt buy it for longivity but on 600whp it seems to be taking the beating pretty well only starts to slip when I turn the boost up to about 30psi.

My next clutch will be a twin though, most likely a carbonetic....

Old May 17, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

jesus. Yeah i will only be at aroun 350wtq or so. I will definately do sprung. Let me ask u this.. I have seen some clutch disks available in thin or thick for mass reduction vs longevity.
Are the ACT 6 pucks available in thick and thin? If not, how much thinner are they than a street disc?

I dont think i want to do too many clutches on an evo so life is important hahaha. FWD cars are nothin at all. Ill do those all day long but i have never done an evo clutch before.
Anyway, how many miles roughly is the 6 puck good for?

I think the street disk is 30k or more. I saw a post on here about people who say the twin disk is only good for 12k. yipes!
What do u guys think about the 6 puck?
Old May 17, 2010, 01:00 PM

My exedy twin has about 24k on it. I personally havent beaten on it much (yet). But the previous owner used it at both the drag strip and at Autobahn several times and it held great, and still is. At one point the car was making around 450/450 on e85. For now, its back to around 350ish on 93.

Last edited by screwdgie; May 18, 2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy Twin is the way to go. Expensive, but it is worth it. It is not a coincidence that Buschur and STM track cars use it. It is what I will be getting when the stocker goes.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
As long as you're not too hard on the clutch, an organic disk with a high capacity pressure plate should be fine if you want an inexpensive clutch with good streetability. I'm at 375 wtq on the stock Evo 9 clutch with no slipping. I've only launched my car a few times though.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Im hard on my clutches lol. I launch a lot. My dumbass hasnt realized what an expensive platform the evo is to repair when **** breaks ie tranny transfer diffs etc haha. Is the 6 puck going to last a long time?

I do alot of autoX and ocassional drag.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically any 6 puck clutch is not a street clutch it's a race clutch. Race clutches are engineered to perform, to hold maximum power and allow for fast shifting in order to win races. They're not built for longevity. Having a clutch last 50,000 miles is not a concern to a race built clutch.

If you want a clutch to last get a street clutch/full face. Organic is okay. The problem is if you are hard on it and overheat it, it's easy to ruin the whole disk. Kevlar and some of the carbon/kevlar combo materials take more abuse. You can glaze the face of the disk and the underlying material will recover better and resist warping.

With the type of driving you describe you'd be well served by an exedy twin. I put a competition clutch stage 3 kevlar in my car last year. It's holding up good, especially for the price. I teamed it up with an ACT prolite flywheel.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; May 17, 2010 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking at thick (long lasting) clutches for 300-350 wtq.